• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm working on a new product

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
And I need your opinions.

I'm working on steel taillights for 84-96 XJ's. So far I've got a good design laid out that bolts right up and matches body lines really well. I noticed others out there were pretty square and didn't match body lines all that great.

So opinion time. I have 4" stop/turn/tails in LED, 2" (9LED) reverse lights, and all sorts of other sizes available to me. The back face might fit two 4" lights, or one 4" and two 2" (reverse and amber maybe)

So what would you put on a taillight on your XJ?

I'm wondering the same as besthaticouldo ...

Will they be something like the thor guards, extending down the quarter panel somewhat? or just replacing the tail light only?

I think I would like the one 4" red, one 2" amber, and one 2" white, I think it would look good... Just try out different configurations and see what people think...

Well being that some ppl live where it snows (like me).......

I would not want LEDs b/c they dont put out enough heat to melt snow build up.

So brush the snow off before ya drive.... :spin1:

i may be interested...

any cad? mock ups? drawings? sketches?

Not yet. I'm not really trying to gauge interest right now, trying more to gauge how the mass majority would want a complete set configured lightwise. I will say they are built to match line and fit the taillight spot as good as the taillights did.

Well being that some ppl live where it snows (like me).......

I would not want LEDs b/c they dont put out enough heat to melt snow build up.

That's understandable. As is with all of our Wrangler stuff, they'd be offered without lights and even without holes so that you can do them up in your own way too...

I'm wondering the same as besthaticouldo ...

Will they be something like the thor guards, extending down the quarter panel somewhat? or just replacing the tail light only?

I think I would like the one 4" red, one 2" amber, and one 2" white, I think it would look good... Just try out different configurations and see what people think...

They'll be just a taillight. I don't have a sheetmetal roller to build 1/4 guards, so we won't have those on the table unless we happen to acquire one.

Well, if anyone ever smashes into ya, it'll knock all the snow off, they'll be at fault, you get insurance money to build your jeep more, etc etc.... ;)

Nah, seriously, that's an understandable concern...Luckily for me I've got the DD, so the big jeep doesn't get driven hardly at all, and it's not something I need to worry about as much.

do a quick ms paint of a rectangle showing us the patterns you're thinking of. we're all stupid visual people.

I personally like an oval stop lamp (turned diagonally in the box) and a small reverse lamp.

^^That could look nice. Really, IMO, I just like the look of LED tails in general, so I'm pretty hard to disappoint.

Amber would most likely be for blinker...

I think he means fitting all 3 of those 4+2+2 in that space...

To my knowledge you can pretty easily get a STOP TURN TAIL light in 3 and 4 inch versions as well as LED and standard variations. *** I am working with a buddy on some Tail light / quarter guard design. I like the idea of leaving the light area blank for the buyer to design. That really puts the CUSTOM in CUSTOMER. :)

I think he means fitting all 3 of those 4+2+2 in that space...

To my knowledge you can pretty easily get a STOP TURN TAIL light in 3 and 4 inch versions as well as LED and standard variations. *** I am working with a buddy on some Tail light / quarter guard design. I like the idea of leaving the light area blank for the buyer to design. That really puts the CUSTOM in CUSTOMER. :)

Yeah, it'll be designed to be at customer discretion. Either our holeset or no holeset, then optionally buy our light kit for it. We would also do it so they can add and remove any of the holes we put in it (if say they wanted just the one taillight hole, and wanted to custom out the rest) as a special order.

Who's "we"? Just wondering if you've got a company, are starting one, or if it's just a backyard style setup...?

Were I going that far, I'd want to see if there was a way to put a nice mild floodlamp in; either in place of or in conjunction with the reverse lamps. That's why I've got the 50W version of the 1156 bulbs in my reverse lamps - so I can see where I'm backing up to.

Yes, I know you can just add floods for reverse lamps, but having them up and in the steel box would be nice since you wouldn't have to worry about them so much!

Apart from that, I'm thinking that a large red combi tail/stop lamp, an amber turn indicator, and the white reverse/flood lamp would be good, and small red/amber spots on the site (running lamp and turn indicator, probably the 2" spot on those, if they'd fit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back