• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Icelandic XJ on 38" tires

27184_388979074628_652699628_3696400_3646608_n.jpg

I keep forgetting to ask, is that one of the HiLux support trucks from the Top Gear North Pole Episode?

Last edited:
Awesome work and beautiful photos!

Off topic: thanks for telling the banksters where to go and prosecuting them. Wish we had the balls to do it.

Got this question in a PM and decided to post it here as well as my answer. But to be fair to the sender I cut his user name out and other details just in case......

I have a couple questions about your style of offroading. When in the snow do you drive in 4 high or in 4 low? I have a ______________ and want to do more snow driving this winter in the mountains in _________. I have seen people do both style (fast and slow) and want to get your opinion on what to do.

Thanks

I have only 1 time used the 4x4 hi in snow, it was this spring and I drove on 110 km/h down a glacier. I always use the low range, I can get 94 km/h which is alot but have all the tourque when needed and can go slow which is often must.

The key to success in snow driving is NEVER SPIN THE WHEELS! If you spin the wheels the tires dig holes and you stop getting forward and possibly get stuck. The technique is to float on the snow but not dig down to the ground, in some of my pictrues the snow is several meters thick. If the snow is firm it's easy to drive on it but if it'a soft like a powder or wet like a slush its difficult.
Then I let almost all the air out of the tires (at least down to 2 psi but sometimes below 1 psi) and drive slow to not make the tires spin but just crawl over the soft surface. Then I carefully increase the rpm and gain speed untill the engine lacks power or I spin, if a tire starts spinning (even though driving at some speed) I instantly decrease the rpm, sometimes it just takes a tiny slow down to gain the grip again and almost lose no speed but sometimes you have to stop and start all over again.

I keep forgetting to ask, is that one of the HiLux support trucks from the Top Gear North Pole Episode?

This Hilux is not one from the Top Gear show. But it's built by one of the workers at the company who built the Top Gear Toyotas and is similar in several ways.

Freyr

Awesome jeep! i always have the most fun trashing through the mountains in the snow, smoother ride and a totally different approach.

how do you like your dual torsen diffs? i have a pair of true tracks that i will be installing this week (D30/35) and im convinced that im going to love them, but since you have some experience..what do you have to say about them?

great looking jeep, great photos

Awesome jeep! i always have the most fun trashing through the mountains in the snow, smoother ride and a totally different approach.

how do you like your dual torsen diffs? i have a pair of true tracks that i will be installing this week (D30/35) and im convinced that im going to love them, but since you have some experience..what do you have to say about them?

great looking jeep, great photos

I like the torsen lockers very much. I've had orginal locker in rear axle in Nissan patrol, ARB lockers in Cherokee and Blazer and OX locker in Cherokee front axle and now torsen in both axles. In my opinion the torsen lockers works best of 'em all in the snow. It's smooth operation is great in snow, the diffs are locked all the time but allow turns without excessive extortion.
Another asset is that the torsen locker is simple like No Spin e.g. no air, electricity or cables that can fail. Just install the locker and enjoy it. Also it puts much less strain on the axles than 100% lockers.

But even though I prefer the torsen for snow driveing I would possibly choose OX or ARB but most likely No Spin for rock climbeing because they are 100% lockers without exception.

Freyr

bad ass snow rig. iceland is definitely on my places to go list. would love to race topgear to the pole as well but don't see that happening lol

Don't see a snorkel for the water crossings. Did I miss something? Could you explain how you managed to make it across. Thank you!

Don't see a snorkel for the water crossings. Did I miss something? Could you explain how you managed to make it across. Thank you!

No, you're right, I've never had snorkels on my XJ's. On The white one I just had 3" hose from the TB through the firewall, no filter (this XJ was peace of crap). On the blue one I moved the intake top the left top of the engine bay, between the brake booster and fender.

On my Green one that I got now I had a short pipe from the TB to a K&N cone filter but I just finished changeing it.
I made cold air intake which is though pretty safe in water crossing. If I want to cross very deep water or the filter cloggs up by snow in a snowstorm I can lead the air intake througt the firewall (again, no filter if I do that but It will always be just for minutes over a water or max several hours in snowstorm). Pictures of intake comeing soon.

Freyr

My new air intake. Cold air intake and pretty good in water. If crossing deep water or if filter cloggs up in snowstorm I can move the intake inside the car trough the top of the firewall.

223857_248861321809541_100000570254985_974207_4322352_n.jpg

281469_248861385142868_100000570254985_974209_6075068_n.jpg

251424_248861521809521_100000570254985_974211_418783_n.jpg

281659_248861478476192_100000570254985_974210_2792742_n.jpg

282471_248860871809586_100000570254985_974199_4982132_n.jpg

285349_248860928476247_100000570254985_974200_2260892_n.jpg

Freyr,

Very cool:rof:!!

Your extreme weather conditions for offroading are very interesting!

What weight oil are you running, 0-20? Block heaters? If you have the time, fill us in on survival gear, radios and anything else you can think of to make your trips safe. Totally fascinating!

Freyr,

Very cool:rof:!!

Your extreme weather conditions for offroading are very interesting!

What weight oil are you running, 0-20? Block heaters? If you have the time, fill us in on survival gear, radios and anything else you can think of to make your trips safe. Totally fascinating!

No heater or anything to help the motor starting in cold weather.

Use 5-30 oil like advised in the manual

VHF radio, cell phone and 2 GPS.

My gear:
-Warm first layer made of wool or fleece
-Warm sweater of wool or fleece
-Waterproof jacket and pants, e.g. Gore Tex clothes.
-Warm socks, warm hat, warm gloves and good shoes

Extra clothes: One extra peace of all that touches the skin (first layer, socks, hat and gloves) and down jacket.

Also:
-Waders
-Glacier rescue equipment (rope, belt, crampons, ice axes and so on).
-Very warm sleeping bag (comf. level -25°C).
-Enough food.
-First aid kit
-Good quality sunglasses with UV protection
-Maps + compass

For the car:
-Air pump
-Safety Seal tire repair kit
-Hydraulic jack (not some hi lift jack, just regular size)
-23 m. long bungee rope, dia. 28mm.
-Lots of tools
-Propan/buthan gas and a gas heater

Well, that should cover most of it. Will add more later if something special comes to my mind.

Freyr

Excellent photo's, thanks for sharing them with us!

Your XJ should be the Ride of the Month!

Back