• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I was doing my rear brakes and found...

8700XJS

NAXJA Forum User
that the left axle seal was wet. It is not a big leak just the start of one. I have an 87 with D44's and was wondering if I can pull the axle out and change the seal myself or do I need to take it to a machine shop to the bearing pressed on, because I am going to change all seals and bearings. If I can do it myself are there any special tools I will need?

Kenny
TIA

It takes a press to change the bearing. You can pull the axle and then take it to your local parts store, not Autozone, but one that really does parts such as most NAPA stores. They can press the new bearing on for you, it not, I think it costs $20 at my local machine shop.

Best bet would be to get the seals (Timken 9912S) and bearing kits (Timken SET10), cut off the old retaining collar and bearing (you can do this yourself if you have a die grinder/angle grinder, etc. with a cutting wheel), then have the new parts pressed on.

Here's a pic of what everything should look like on the axle when you're done ;) :

discs02.jpg

Ok. I looked in my FSM and understand what you all said. One question I have is do I have to get into my diff at all or does that axel just come out with a slide hammer?

Kenny

8700XJS said:
Ok. I looked in my FSM and understand what you all said. One question I have is do I have to get into my diff at all or does that axel just come out with a slide hammer?

Kenny

Only thing you have to do to the diff is drain the gear lube. Take off the 4 nuts at the wheel side and the axle slides right out.

Back