• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think it's time for a Wrenchfest!

Easy there big guy. :) My guess is that there are some computer or wiring issues between the 97 and 01 that Kris knows about. Since the engine isn't getting swapped its probably a non-issue, but if that throws a red flag for Kris it's worth listening to.

That said....see you at Ed's KP? I still have to return your ratchet!

I've done my fair bit of research but if he has technical info that we aren't aware of then I'm all ears.

I've done my fair bit of research but if he has technical info that we aren't aware of then I'm all ears.

The only difference are the wiring harnesses, ignition, and computer. As long as they are swapped as a unit. For example, the 1999-2001 engine bay harness will not work with the 1997-1998 interior harness. If just the engine is being swapped then it will be fine.

I know we will have to change out the plug on the 01 trans with a different plug. I know we spliced the harness when we built Rusty's rig.

Kris, you going to be able to make it?

The only difference are the wiring harnesses, ignition, and computer. As long as they are swapped as a unit. For example, the 1999-2001 engine bay harness will not work with the 1997-1998 interior harness. If just the engine is being swapped then it will be fine.

The engine is the only thing not going into the 97.

First of all im trying to help you out, and secondly it was not very clear so I asked. Yes it does matter, and yes I've been there, done this so im just trying to give you a heads up.

The 97 is pretty much the bastard year of the XJ, it uses some parts and wiring that are incompatible with the the rest of the 98-01. The transmission plugs and wires on the 97 do not match the 01 as there are less wires and less sensors on the 97 transmission.

Actually, The 97 interior harness is completely different than the 98-01 harness as far as the trans goes and uses a specific 97 TCU, splicing this will cause electrical gremlins for this specific setup. You would need to swap all wiring over from the 2001 to the 97 body, including interior and dash.

some good info here post #19 and #39: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1039728

and here about the 97 body: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Last edited:
Can we just split the tcase, grab the sye, and swap that into the 242? That may be the easiest option. If we can do that and diagnose the tranny bucking I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited:
The SYE on the 231 won't work on the 242.

Since the trans is an '88 model, how hard is it to swap the output from the 21 to a 23 spline?

Does anyone remember what year the transmission was that rredalty acquired to swap into Rusty's '01 model?

Had to be an 00-01 Ed.

Had to be an 00-01 Ed.

I know we had to splice the trans plug from the '01 onto the transmission rredalty brought. That would indicate that it was an earlier transmission.

Eric mentioned swapping the input and planetaries into e 01 case. Would that work?

Assuming the trans isn't swappable, Do you want to focus on the axles and suspension?

What has me confused is for 1997 to be an oddball with specific wiring for that year AW4, how did a 1988 transmission get swapped in and made to work?

Assuming the trans isn't swappable, Do you want to focus on the axles and suspension?

What has me confused is for 1997 to be an oddball with specific wiring for that year AW4, how did a 1988 transmission get swapped in and made to work?

Yes. We'll see if we can't put our heads together on Saturday. It be great to somehow get that sye to work. I don't know about that 88 tranny. That is prob why it bucks on me.

Hey brian, I didn't realize you had a 242 case in that thing.
I think if I were you, I'd hold out on messing with the case at the moment, and do some research on swapping just the transmission and tcase if it's possible. If it isn't, (I bet it is), then go to the Junkyard and find yerself a renix era 231, and swap the back half of your sye case onto it, and rock that motha.
If your transmissions are both mechanically sound, but have electric gremlins, you can probably solve that with a manual transmission controller, and just pick your own gears... or just say "F" it and find an ax15 and row your own canoe. :)
Until you get your sye figured out, you'll need to do a tcase drop if you want to use the rear driveshaft, and I wouldn't recommend daily driving on just the front with a 242...

First of all im trying to help you out, and secondly it was not very clear so I asked. Yes it does matter, and yes I've been there, done this so im just trying to give you a heads up.

The 97 is pretty much the bastard year of the XJ, it uses some parts and wiring that are incompatible with the the rest of the 98-01. The transmission plugs and wires on the 97 do not match the 01 as there are less wires and less sensors on the 97 transmission.

Actually, The 97 interior harness is completely different than the 98-01 harness as far as the trans goes and uses a specific 97 TCU, splicing this will cause electrical gremlins for this specific setup. You would need to swap all wiring over from the 2001 to the 97 body, including interior and dash.

some good info here post #19 and #39: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1039728

and here about the 97 body: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Thanks for the info. I've got some more reading to do. You coming out on Saturday

I've read that bottom link KP. That's why it seemed this swap was possible. Lets look at it Saturday. If we can't swap it then lets get the suspension on and at lease driveable to get me and Dirk back to Lebanon. I can hammer out the tcase issues at home if I need to.

Sounds good. We just need to schedule another Wrenchfest Saturday to knock out the t-case. Doing them on a lift is the only way to go.

I've read that bottom link KP. That's why it seemed this swap was possible. Lets look at it Saturday. If we can't swap it then lets get the suspension on and at lease driveable to get me and Dirk back to Lebanon. I can hammer out the tcase issues at home if I need to.

You might want to throw the bumpers and rails and all the little stuff in the trucks when we go down, that way if we can't do the T-case/Tranny swap, after the suspension is done we have some things to keep busy with - assuming no one else has anything they want/need to get done.

Back