• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know this is a bad Idea, but......

OK... I must be missing something here: almost all of the folks say it's a bad idea yet the issue is being beat like a dead horse. Is the concept that if you ask enough times you'll hear the answer you want to hear? If you want to weld up the front no matter what the opinions are, go for it. But since you know it's a bad idea, do plan on making sure you can get off the trail when things blow up ;) and make sure you got all the parts and spares required to fix it ;)

I find it interesting that the OP posted about a short term solution for a vehicle with short term longevity, and the bulk of negative responses miss that. It won't be around long enough to break a good weld job - it'll be in a crusher.

I'm reading a lot of stuff on here in threads where responses don't seem to consider the poster's circumstances and questions. Not everybody does things the same way - build rocksliders, strokers, or even lock an axle. By golly, some folks even own plastic handguns (one guess what I take my sandwich to lunch in.) They have their place, just like the aluminum one the service issued me.

So, where are all those front spool in a disco testimonials?

TiRod said:
I find it interesting that the OP posted about a short term solution for a vehicle with short term longevity, and the bulk of negative responses miss that. It won't be around long enough to break a good weld job - it'll be in a crusher.
I've been on a trail with folks who implemented a "short term solution" and made it semi permament. I"ve been stuck helping them figure out how to get off the trail.... And... I'm not the only one that was in a position like that. Anyways: seems that he is set on doing it no matter what is said, so why not just do it and report on it :confused:

I really don't care if they have strockers, sliders, or anything else like that as long as they got solid tow points and their drivertrain will hold up.

Do it, trash the hell out of it, it only gots to get you to the compititon and then thru it right? If it is going to end up like last years tough truck, you don't need to worry about any extra parts. Weld it front and rear, put in a harness (to keep you alive, lost a friend to one of these challenges) and turn it into a ball of carnage. :explosion Take pics of the before/middle/aftermath so we can see it.

:huh: Where's the update? I've wondered the same thing. I'd have to run a manual disconnect cable though. You would just have to be careful with the load on your front axle. And if I'm right your left wheel would always be spinning in 4wheel drive even if the disconnect wasn't engaged? I am curious about on road manners so post up a review please.

coastie124 said:
And if I'm right your left wheel would always be spinning in 4wheel drive even if the disconnect wasn't engaged? I am curious about on road manners so post up a review please.

Yes, your left tire will always be powered in 4wd.

In 2wd on the street, you shouldn't feel anything odd. It would be the same as running a lunchbox with a disco axle. There is no resistance to unlock the locker, so everything still spins.

I had an Aussie in mine with a cable disconnect, and never felt it in 2wd. If I disconnected it on the trail in 4wd, it got a good bit of torque steer in some situations, but it was drivable. I did this to relieve stress from a fatiguing axle u-joint once so it didn't ruin my day at tellico. I just engaged the disco when I needed it, and made it through the day just fine.

However, I would never weld a 30 unless it was truly a temporary thing. I have broken a couple shafts with an Aussie, I couldn't imagine it with it welded :wierd:

Last edited:
Well I'm thinking this isn't a horrible idea. It's not any worse than running a locker. No more stress than normal. And it is like a selectable with a manual disconnect switch.

he had issues with the shift forks so he never did it but he did weld the rear which somehow has held up
and tonight he picked up some thornbirds
HAHAHAHAHA

why you talking shit 5 33 12.50's for $100 I need to figure out the issue. are there any write ups on making it a cable disconect? once I get that fingered out I will weld it up.

i'd be delighted to see pictures of the carnage :thumbup:

Hey Big... directions for home made cable operated disco can be found here.

http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/jeep/tech/cabledis.htm

Something some guys on the old MJ Yahoo board did was put a stack of washers on the axle to shim the sleeve over into permanently locked position. Sure a lot better than having the vacuum fail to engage the axle when you need it.

--Tom

he broke the welded rear so lets call it a limited slip now. The jeep has more body damage already than ever, hatch is trashed but its still wheeling strong.

this was wheelin last weekend
P1010115.jpg

Kejtar said:
You mean welded spiders broke? Who would have thunk? :dunce:

Seriously, I dont know how many people ask about welding, I dont know how many times I have advised them against it and still they proceed on with it.

Back