• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know this is a bad Idea, but......

if i'm right it sholdnt make a difference. one side is still unlocked, someone correct me if i'm wrong,

besides the fact that you're going to break shafts often, as long as you still have the vacuum disconnect-disconnected you'll be alright.

bigpimpinben said:
I plan on welding the spiders in my vaccum disconnect dana 30 it is a $300 junker how will this affect my street drivability?
if you know it's abad idea then why do you want to do it? :confused:

nothing wrong with it at all IMO. its a 300$ junker, with vacuum disconnects. it wont affect street driving at all. and the weak link is going to be left to your welding skill. if you can weld good, then go for it. if not all hell will break loose. but heck. its a free locker in a junker. go for it. i would. and dont let people tell you your going to break shafts, and gears. it doesn't put any more/less stress on those parts then a normal locker does

wishihad1 said:
nothing wrong with it at all IMO. its a 300$ junker, with vacuum disconnects. it wont affect street driving at all. and the weak link is going to be left to your welding skill. if you can weld good, then go for it. if not all hell will break loose. but heck. its a free locker in a junker. go for it. i would. and dont let people tell you your going to break shafts, and gears. it doesn't put any more/less stress on those parts then a normal locker does
1. It's not a locker.. it's more like a spool
2. If you're on a trail run with folks.. give them the courtesy of letting them know what you're running.....

Ben post some pics of your tough truck last year and what happened!

I just want to thank you guys for telling him to lincoln it up since im the guy that will be the one on the trails with his ass.

dellstopjeep said:
Ben post some pics of your tough truck last year and what happened!

I just want to thank you guys for telling him to lincoln it up since im the guy that will be the one on the trails with his ass.
send them a bill afterwards ;)

I am doing it before we go wheeling how many quarts does the dana 30 and 35 take of gear oil. will have pics up on sunday of it being done and of me breaking it.

I like your idea of running a welded 30 disco. It may just work out.
A DANA 30 disco from an XJ has weak U-joints. Bring a set of axles and hubs with you as a u-joint is bound to break. Before you go on the trail, pull your axles and hubs, clean the hub up, and put them back in with anti-seize around the hub area. This will save you a lot of time on a trail repair (possibly many hours). My right u-joint broke on a regular bases till I found a stronger axle joint combo out of the first year YJ. I had this fix down to about 25 min. with clean hands and rolling. That was with an ARB. I now run a Dana 30, Super 30 ARB, and USA Alloy Axles.
Good Luck!

here are pics from my tough truck last year which was a $300 junker

BEFORE
l_a81e3969996484686d170a2e9a64853c.jpg

DURRING
wheely.jpg

AFTER
deadchummer.jpg

Kejtar said:
if you know it's abad idea then why do you want to do it? :confused:
Well the guy is doing it..and sometimes you just have to go with WTF?
But as far as I have seen with a vacuum disconnect, it should actually work for an on-demand locker...and I want to hear if it works, or doesn't too..and want pictures of the carnage....

strandediniowa said:
But as far as I have seen with a vacuum disconnect, it should actually work for an on-demand locker...and I want to hear if it works....

Well, close. The factory setup will engage the axle when the t-case is shifted into fourwheel. So a welded disco-30 will be open in two wheel, fully locked in four wheel.

To make an "on-demand" out of it, you need a way to engage that axle manually. Lots of people use a cable, there's even a kit available, look for posi-lok or posilock, I can't remember which.

I used an air switch and the factory vacuum lines, with my lockright. So pulling the tcase lever gives me locked in three-wheel-drive, and then flipping the switch locks in four-wheel when I need it.

Works great, haven't broken a thing on 35s. (Edit: Inside the axle. I did kill a stock tierod)

Robert

Last edited:
I brought up a similar thing a year ago - why not run a minispool in the front on a disco axle? Of course, I've yet to see one available . . .

Still, lots of negative comments. It steers funny - Ok, don't do it on asphalt, how about on the trail? We're talking a Dana 30, so odd crossed up rockcrawling isn't the best thing to begin with, how about just on a dirt/rock trail getting off road? What most of us really do? It'll break something - but so will installing a locker, not much about that posted for under 32". The D30 handles it. I'm definitely not talking Tough Truck, just a daily driver.

I still don't see why not - but it's a moot point, not one available unless you do Lincoln lock it. For a small tired, easy off road way to get max traction, it still looks good.

All you guys running front spools should tell us more. like where I can get a minispool for my 30.

Back