• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hyundai looking at buying Chrysler...

Re: Hyandai looking at buying Chrysler...

whoever buys it cant be any worse than chrysler. i dont understand why everyone is so upset about jeep being bought. look at how they have destroyed the jeep name.

And today Hyundai said that was BS and they were never interested in Chrysler.

All US Auto manufactures are in trouble. The pie is smaller because less people are buying, and there are more slices in the pie than any time in history.

whoever buys it cant be any worse than chrysler. i dont understand why everyone is so upset about jeep being bought. look at how they have destroyed the jeep name.
i have to disagree. If it wernt for Chrysler you would most likely be sportin a 5" exhaust tip and a double decker wing on a civic.

Jeep has been chrysler for many many years. they designed the XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ and they are all best in class.

Jeep has been chrysler for many many years. they designed the XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ and they are all best in class.

Actually AMC and Renault designed the XJ/MJ.

I will be sad to see Hyundai do this...

What we are seeing are the beginnings of the chickens coming home to roost by rampant outsourcing of jobs, be it IT or manufacturing. There will be less people to afford what they could in the past, hence, more business' lowering expectatioins. This could be and I'm sure, another thread in itself.

I wish Jeep could just spin off on it's own and be a niche producer of good offroaders and decent SUV's.

what's the point of GM buying Chrysler? I just don't see the benefit. Our automakers have had poor management for a long time now and we're seeing the results. I don't like the idea of american car companies becoming foreign owned, but if they cannot get their act together they need to fail and make room for a better company.

But with our new national policy of no failure, no accountibility, maybe we'll just nationalize them. I expect they'd get a directive to stop building suvs and to build a "people's car" that is "economical" and "environmentally responsible."

Chrysler has a bit of cash that GM would like to spend. GM would probably also attempt to sell whatever they could of Chrysler's assets. It's pretty much a cannibalism kind of move.

GM should be broken up. It's gotten so big that all creativity and innovation are snuffed out by the dead hand of bureaucracy. They should go back to individual companies; Chevrolet, Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, etc.. With very lean management structures & let them take chances. Some might go bankrupt but a few might produce something useful.

Otherwise they'll just piss away any bail-out money & go out of business next year.

Except GM has been breaking up - haven't they axed Olds, and they're about to drop Buick as a brand as well? And I've heard they're going to spin off AM General (started by AMC for military contracts, after Renault bought much of AMC...)

And yes, AMC designed the XJ and MJ (with significant assistance from Renault. IIRC, the XJ was the first unibody design AMC had worked on - unless I'm remembering wrong, and the Eagle was first. Renault provided unibody expertise and computer power for FEM of the new chassis,) and laid the groundwork for the ZJ.

Amazing, tho, how many designs outlasted the companies that designed them - in their basic form, anyhow...

Kaiser hung around until the SJ was dropped in for 1992.
AMC until the XJ fell in 2001, the MJ in 1992, the YJ in 1995, and the ZJ for 1999. AMC engines also outlasted the company - the 4.0L was in productinon vehicles until the 2007 Model Year, and the 2.46L was last used in the Dakota in 2002. AMC V8s fell with the SJ for 1992 (360ci.)

Frankly, if I had the money, I'd like to buy Jeep myself and turn them around. While there are many who are looking for road manners and suchlike in their trucks (why for?) there are also those of us die-hards who want trucks that can be used like trucks, that handle like trucks, and that are not cars by any stretch of the imagination! Real 4WD with a useful low range, useful transmission gearing, useful rearend gearing, good torque curves on the engine, SLA fore and aft, and "large enough to be useful/small enough to be nimble." Is that so much to ask? Given what I've been seeing coming out of automakers, it shouldn't be that hard - Hell, someone has come out with an eight-pax SUV this year! And I thought seven-pax was overkill...

So, would that mean that I could get a CJ-8 again? maybe this time with a domestic-issue 4.5, NV5600, doubler, yadda, yadda, and NOT have to argue with the service department over "waranty violations"? Oh, and make mine a RENIX, please. :clap: :party1:

Actually AMC and Renault designed the XJ/MJ.

Didn't AMC also bring us such classics as the Matador...

1977AMCMatadorBarcelona001.jpg

And the Pacer?

pacer.jpg

Back