• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to tow

MR. XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i have a small quastion on how to tow, i'm new at this, i just got a 04 dodge 4x4 disel 4 door and today i tow my xj with it, my question is it ok to get 12 mpg by pushing the tow button becaue on the way back i forgot to pushed and i star geting 17 mpg and i will like to know that is the right way and went to use the tow button sorry if is a dum question but i'm new at this.

dunno about late model dodges, but on a lot of trucks, it locks out overdrive. your 4000lb XJ should be a breeze for a diesel truck to pull, so yeah... leave it off for highway driving unless you feel it bogging down. a buddies F250 runs at 80mpg in the mountains towing his XJ+trailer.

MR. XJ said:
hey all,

i have a small quastion on how to tow, i'm new at this, i just got a 04 dodge 4x4 disel 4 door and today i tow my xj with it, my question is it ok to get 12 mpg by pushing the tow button becaue on the way back i forgot to pushed and i star geting 17 mpg and i will like to know that is the right way and went to use the tow button sorry if is a dum question but i'm new at this.

As contrite as this is going to sound, the correct answer IS to read the f'n manual. The owners manual that is. That will provide you with the information that is appropriate for your vehicle.

If you lack said manual, you should contact your Dodge dealer.

A generic answer is this:
What gear you select depends largely on the size of load and the terrain, but most automatics have a prefered "Tow setting" that is usually one gear down from overdrive.
By using this setting, you will likely be running higher rpms that when in OD, and will get less fuel efficiency.

With the XJ, if I am towing something heavy, like another Jeep, I use "3", which is it's tow setting. If I am pulling the MC trailer down a level interstate, I use "D" because the Jeep just doesn't see the extra rolling 400lbs back there.

Ron

I have an 05 Dodge and can tell you that just towing your jeep you do not need to put it into the "tow" mode.

It serves basiclly two functions.

First it changes the shift patterns to shift at a higher RPM and a little firmer.

Second if you are comming off a hill you have to use the button to shift into 3rd cause like a Jeep there is no manual 3rd gear selecter.

towing with my dodge I get anywhere from 11mpg to 17mpg and it all depends on terrain, wind and how fast I drive. Seems I get the best mileage at around 62 MPH anything over 65 and you are going to suffer big time.

I agree with Dr. moab when I tow mine I keep it out of the tow mode and I also keep it at around 65mph with my 01 f-350. At that speed I get around 15mpg

Zuki-Ron said:
As contrite as this is going to sound, the correct answer IS to read the f'n manual. Ron

That may not help...your post even went on to make suggestions that are probably not included in the manual.

IIRC the owners manuals of the trucks I own all pretty much tell you to put them in tow mode when towing I do not recall any details regarding weight, load, gear selections, etc in the manual or ever seeing a section in a manual explaining when it is O.K. to two out of two mode.

From what I understand tow mode typically change the shift patterns and eliminate O/D to reduce the stress/heat on the transmissions. If you are towing a load that is well below your tow rigs capabilities, I think it is commonly understood that you can two in normal driving mode.

If you find you are hunting for gears or the transmission is running hot then it may better to stick with two mode.

On a side note: Find your most efficient tow speed. I pull a 28' travel trailer with a V-10 excursion. I found at one point slowing down a few MPH increased my MPG quite a bit, did not add much to my drive times and actually made the drive much easier. I have had stretches where I can settle in behind a big rig, set cruise control, never touch a pedal, never change a lane for 3-4 hours straight.

Last edited:
whatevah said:
dunno about late model dodges, but on a lot of trucks, it locks out overdrive. your 4000lb XJ should be a breeze for a diesel truck to pull, so yeah... leave it off for highway driving unless you feel it bogging down. a buddies F250 runs at 80mpg in the mountains towing his XJ+trailer.

... 80 mpg towing. Let me sell you this economy device for your xj i have a spare of. It goes in your intake and swirls the air..

whatevah said:
It doesn't on the Dodges.

When I bought mine I thought it was weird. If you were coming off a hill and hit the tow button it would shift down...just like you kicked it out of OD. But as soon as you hit the gas pedal it would shift back into OD again.

On the 06 and newer dodges they have a two way switch. Hit it once it just turns it into "tow" mode, which changes the shift points and such. Hit it again and it locks it out of OD.

I wish mine had this...there are times in real steep stuff I wish I could lock it out of OD. However Tow mode on these trucks does not do this.

Oh...and your friend is stupid. Nobody should be towing a trailer of any kind that fast. These are the guys I see the cops scraping off the HWYs all the time. Stupid stupid stupid.

Back