• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many tools and spares do you carry on the trail

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I was just organizing my stuff for a weeks outing and got to wondering how much everybody else carries. For the basics I carry a full socket set in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sizes. I carry a full roll up of wrenches 2 of each size and both english and metric. I carry electrical connectors, crimper, cutters, wire. Also flat blade and phillips screw drivers, pry bars, 2 lb sledge. Misc pliers.

I carry two axle ujoints, two drive shaft ujoints, misc seals, spare hubs, spare front and rear D44 axles, one of every sensor on a Renix. Hub socket. On particularly bad trails I throw in a spare rear driveshaft. I also carry a device for pulling a carrier on a D44.

I have onboard CO2 and carry an impact. I have a sealed ammo can with brake fluid, ATF, PS fluid, engine oil, gear oil, liquid electrical tape, the right stuff sealer, spare tstat, spare radiator cap. I run a 9k multimount winch and carry wheel chocks, snatch block, two tow straps, gloves, knee pads. I also have a setup so I can weld from the battery.

I know it might seem like a bit of overkill but I tend to do a lot of wheeling, sometimes alone, far from help and I like to get home. I have worked on keeping it compact and securely stowed. Before you rag on me for going alone, someone always knows where I will be and I carry a SPOT 2. I've been wheeling like this for over 45 years.

I also carry water and rations for at least a week or more.

Nice list of parts and tools. If I didn't know this was an XJ forum I would swear you have to be wheeling a suburban to fit all that stuff in there :D.

I don't carry enough stuff but I don't wheel alone. I usually carry a pair of D30 shafts, full socket set, misc pliers and hammers, CPS, TPS, 2 spare injectors, recovery gear.

If I ever go somewhere thats not an easy return to camp I will have to add alot more into that.

Noticed that you carry no belts or hoses.
I tend to carry the electrical stuff,CPS,relays,fuses extra wire. The area in which we drive also would determine what we carry also,Here in the east its mostly dirt roads in the forest,however at Rousch Creek I would have the full drive train( shafts &axles).

I was just organizing my stuff for a weeks outing and got to wondering how much everybody else carries. For the basics I carry a full socket set in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sizes. I carry a full roll up of wrenches 2 of each size and both english and metric. I carry electrical connectors, crimper, cutters, wire. Also flat blade and phillips screw drivers, pry bars, 2 lb sledge. Misc pliers.

I carry two axle ujoints, two drive shaft ujoints, misc seals, spare hubs, spare front and rear D44 axles, one of every sensor on a Renix. Hub socket. On particularly bad trails I throw in a spare rear driveshaft. I also carry a device for pulling a carrier on a D44.

I have onboard CO2 and carry an impact. I have a sealed ammo can with brake fluid, ATF, PS fluid, engine oil, gear oil, liquid electrical tape, the right stuff sealer, spare tstat, spare radiator cap. I run a 9k multimount winch and carry wheel chocks, snatch block, two tow straps, gloves, knee pads. I also have a setup so I can weld from the battery.

I know it might seem like a bit of overkill but I tend to do a lot of wheeling, sometimes alone, far from help and I like to get home. I have worked on keeping it compact and securely stowed. Before you rag on me for going alone, someone always knows where I will be and I carry a SPOT 2. I've been wheeling like this for over 45 years.

I also carry water and rations for at least a week or more.

I carry pretty much the same, minus the welding stuff, with the following additional items:

Food and water for at least a week
Dry clothes sealed in foodsaver bags
.22 semiautomatic pistol and a couple hundred rounds, sealed in foodsaver
Several knives
Small tent
Spare sensors I pulled from my running donor rig when it was wrecked
Fuel pump and pickup
High pressure power steering hose
Spare distributor, cap, and rotor...as well as a few old plugs and some longer wires

All I can think of right now. It gets pulled out a couple times a year and some items rotated...

if i used it in the past to work on my jeep. it goes in my toolbags.
makes for a pretty complete toolset. i don't carry sockets or wrenches for nut/bolt sizes that don't exist on my rig though.

aside from that usually spare loaded distributor, loaded throttle body with tps,map,iac.
spare coil, spare cps.

spare front 44 shafts and a hub.
spare driveshaft

co2 and an impact and blow gun.

my rear axle is pretty bombproof so no spares there.

on longer trips I carry a lot more. (hoses,belt,alternator, brakelines and a flare kit etc)

I do carry a spare serpentine belt and I have a spare lower radiator hose but rarely carry it since I have new hoses everywhere.

I forgot to list the spare fuel pump.

I carry a Henry AR-7 survival rifle with about 600 rounds of ammo, a hundred of which are stingers.:skull2:

I'm looking for a air lift bag that hooks to the exhaust like rescue guys carry. They are really helpful.

When I mentioned the rations, that is above and beyond what I expect to use.

I carry a signal mirror and a 300mw green laser. I can illuminate things from a half mile or more with it. Firestarter and vaseline soaked cotton balls.

My medical bag has a well stocked inventory. I carry an IV set with saline and dextrose along with eppy pens. Tons of sudifed, a suture kit, topical novacane, and oral pain killers. I also have some of the wet and wrap splint kits. A glucose meter, electronic BP meter. Bright yellow rain ponchos. Cylume light sticks.

I do carry a spare serpentine belt and I have a spare lower radiator hose but rarely carry it since I have new hoses everywhere.

I forgot to list the spare fuel pump.

I carry a Henry AR-7 survival rifle with about 600 rounds of ammo, a hundred of which are stingers.:skull2:

I'm looking for a air lift bag that hooks to the exhaust like rescue guys carry. They are really helpful.

When I mentioned the rations, that is above and beyond what I expect to use.

I carry a signal mirror and a 300mw green laser. I can illuminate things from a half mile or more with it. Firestarter and vaseline soaked cotton balls.

My medical bag has a well stocked inventory. I carry an IV set with saline and dextrose along with eppy pens. Tons of sudifed, a suture kit, topical novacane, and oral pain killers. I also have some of the wet and wrap splint kits. A glucose meter, electronic BP meter. Bright yellow rain ponchos. Cylume light sticks.

and a partrige in a pear tree........

I used to carry way too much stuff. The more I find myself wheeling closer to the campgrounds, I've started to carry less stuff.

old_man must be going out and getting lost for a while, that's a lot of survival stuff for a day trip out wheeling.

Old Man, I'd really like to see where you put all this stuff :shocked:

Not only out of curiosity but because I'm working on stocking my rig and I want much of the same junk that you have :cheers:

If I get a chance tomorrow I will haul out the camera. It really isn't that bulky.

That's what I'm hoping. I imagine that the spare shafts, hubs, fluids, and co2 take up the bulk of the space. Sometimes I get depressed at how small the XJ is so my goal is to utilize every square inch of cargo space - make it seem bigger than it is.

I'm usually one of the most prepared people on the trail. My gear in the back is usually only 1 layer deep, about halfway to the top of the rear seat in the trunk. weighs about 400 lbs I'd guess. I prefer not to, but wheel alone often enough, I've never been stuck unprepared and I break down plenty often since I don't hold back. But I'm prepared to fix anything and hike out if it comes to it.

I didn't carry nearly as much in my CJ-5 but I've only wheeled it 3 times, this is my XJ load-out at least a typical one. It changes from week to week depending on where I go and who I'm going with.

Jeep is equipped with:
- 800W continuos/1600W peak inveter
- Air compressor w/ 5 gallon tank (converted A/C compressor)
- dual batteries, fully disconnectable
- 9500 lb winch
- CB, w/ 200W amp for emergencies

Tools:
- 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets w/ ratchets, extensions, breaker bars.
- metric and standard wrenches, plus large and small adjustable
- interchangable screwdriver w/ about 8 common bits, and 4 picks of different angles
- allen and toques bit sets, plus LARGE torques bits for things like t-case plug
- wheel bearing and ball joint sockets (I have a d44 front)
- spring compressors, bearing/pitman puller, pickle fork
- 1 lb and 4 lb hammer
- large and small channel locks, about 6 style pliers, snap ring pliers
- spark plug sockets, gap tool
- eletrical crimp/stripper/cutter tool
- voltmeter
- air impact
- 120v drill, normal drill bits, 3/4" step bit, easy-outs
- 120v 4 1/2" grinder, w/ 3 cut-off, 1 grinding, 1 braided wire, 2 flap wheel
- MAPP gas torch
- sandpaper (400, 150)
- tire gauge, deflators
- 15 ft air hose, tire inflator w/ gauge, spare basic inflator
- tire iron
- Brake flare tool, cutter, spare ends, lines
- plenty more I can't think of right off

Fluids:
- 5 gallons gas in a metal can, sometimes 10 gal
- 5 qts 10w30 oil
- 4 qts atf
- 1 qt gear lube
- 4 qts 100% antifreeze, 5 gallons water
- 1 qt power steering fluid
- 1 large bottle brake fluid
- 1 bottle brake cleaner
- 1 bottle pb blaster
- 1 bottle electro-motive cleaner
- grease gun w/ 1 extra tube
- 1 tube black RTV
- JB weld

parts:
- 1 ammo can of nuts and bolts, including all the standard radius arm, leaf spring, and steering bolts, u-joint straps, self tapping screws, hose clamps, u-bolts, lug nuts, and whatever random nuts and bolts I've thrown in there from around the garage.
- alternator
- water pump
- thermostat
- vacuum hoses and patches
- double cardigan H housing and centering ball
- 6 1310 u-joints
- 2 1310-1330 conversion joints
- 2 5-297x u-joints
- 1 pair of d44 ball joints
- 1 pair of d44 shafts
- 1 pair of d44 wheel bearings
- sometimes a spare driveshaft but my spare doesn't fit right
- drum brake spring kit (generally for other people, I have 4 wheel disk)
- spare tire (duh!)
- 18g and 10g wire spools
- switches (one on-off and one on-off-on), two relays
- large and small inline-fuse holders
- large, normal, and small fuses, fusable link
- crimps (red, blue, yellow), splices (blue), tabs (yellow), round terminals (blue, large, normal, and small ends, and one 2 gauge terminal)
- 2 spare spark plugs
- electrical tape, duct tape
- tire repair kit
- air system repair box (hose for ARB, extra fittings, plugs, splices, T's, disconnects, teflon tape)
- belt

Recovery gear:
- winch controller
- pair leather gloves (for the winch cable)
- one 20ft strap
- two 3/4" d-ring shackles (plus the four already on the bumpers)
- snatch block for the winch
- short-handled shovel
- 48" high lift jack
- stock bottle jack
- flat block of wood to use a a jack base if needed

Random:
- 120V Extension cord
- very thin welding rod
- 25ft heavy gauge jumper cables
- haynes manual
- 2 small fire extinguishers
- several pairs of ear plugs, sunglasses
- cell charger
- ratchet strap, bungie cords

Medical:
- First Aid kit
- Eye drops (ever gotten mud and sand in your eyes?)
- Aspirin

Survival (I usually camp when I wheel, but even when I don't this is what I carry):
- 0* sleeping bag
- tent
- poncho
- 1 change of clothes, socks, boots
- bug spray
- at least 6 cans of food
- water filter
- military poncho (NOT the same as the $1 walmart trash bag)
- trash bag
- lighter or matches
- Backpack of some sort
- rope or parachute cord
- 2 flashlights
- handheld CB

Last edited:
I carry a trailer to tow my broken junk home on.

Other than that just a tow strap and some compressed air.

I guess you do have to take into consideration I wheel on small places with-in a couple miles of camp.

What's the sandpaper for?

What's the sandpaper for?

cleaning surfaces for welding, glueing, sealing, electrical connection, battery terminals, etc. It's not really critical but I remembered wanting it once and not having it, so I threw some in the box when I got home. Two sheets of sandpaper weighs about .001 ounces, so I consider it worthwhile

A few other things I've remembered
- GPS
- Fuel Pump
- TPS and MAP sensors
- Soldering iron and solder
- Dremel and small container of attachments
- Orange ribbon tape stuff
- .44 Magnum, w/ 6 rounds 180gn hydro-shock, 6 rounds 240gn soft-point (what I put in the gun depends on the region)
- Small thermo-couple cooler/fridge (On trips lasting more than 1 night)
- Toilet Paper (you just never know, even on day trips)

Last edited:
Back