• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How free flowing should the XJ exhaust be?

PurpleCherokee said:
Ummm... see... the thing is... I've already done it. And there is no "crush" anywhere in my exhaust system. Why would there be? Did you really think that there was a dual-exhaust kit for an XJ??? So it looks like your whole, "well your exhaust is just as restricted because of the "crush" in your downpipe as would be cause be having a cat" argument is done. Also, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because you have to have a crush in your downpipe doesn't mean that ANOTHER restriction in your exhaust won't matter... sorry. So go wiki "not being a dumbass" and tell me what ya find :D
And can anyone decifer this sentence: "Something else you can consider in diameters on the way down is the temperature of the exhaust decreases lowering the internal energy"???
You did what, remove the crush in the downpipe? From what I remember from other's experiences on this site is that it eventually gets crushed back to shape. Do you even know about the crush im talking about? From what I know at least I havent seen any dual exhaust kits, too much effort with not enough benefit except trying to look like a tough guy. Obviously another restriction wont help any more, nor did i say it would or wouldnt. Anyone know what decifer means? Oh, decipher. Ok well I'll rearrange it for you. Go wiki heat transfer and thermodynamics and maybe you'll know what I'm talking about. I remember someone else on this site talking about it but as the exhaust travels through the piping, it'll cool and lose energy to an extent, changing around velocities and therefore requirements (again to an extent).

EDIT: I still dont think you understand that I'm not disagreeing with what makes an exhaust as efficient as possible but rather the fact that you remove a catalytic converter for the minimal gain it gives you.

Last edited:
You're seriously saying that there's no point to dual exhuast besides trying to look like a "tough guy"... ya, that's why high performance engine all have dual exhaust, they're just tryin to look tough... wow. And did you ever stop to think that since I obviously have aftermarket headers, that maybe they're not the same as stock headers that need a crush?

PurpleCherokee said:
You're seriously saying that there's no point to dual exhuast besides trying to look like a "tough guy"... ya, that's why high performance engine all have dual exhaust, they're just tryin to look tough... wow. And did you ever stop to think that since I obviously have aftermarket headers, that maybe they're not the same as stock headers that need a crush?
Come on, there's a big difference between a 200ish hp cherokee and a 350hp vette. Most people on here will agree that dual exhaust is a bit overkill. I didnt know you had aftermarket headers, did they include a new downpipe or did you keep the stock one? A lot of headers just bolton to the stock downpipe (with its crush). According to your other thread you've got an AFR gauge so im assuming you replaced the crush downpipe and welded in a new wideband?

Dual exhaust overkill? I don't think I'd call anything that gives you more power overkill. How did you not know that I have aftermarket headers??? Ummmm... did you not hear the whole DUAL EXHAUST thing??? Last time I checked, Jeep didn't offer dual exhuast from the factory. So apparently you're smart enough to know ALL about "fluid dynamics" but not smart enough to know that Jeep didn't make a dual outlet header stock... wow.
Oh, and check out this guy:
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/travisodle/?action=view&current=6f83df9f.pbr
He's getting rid of his dual exhaust in favor of a single 1.5" pipe. He got tired of makin power :rolleyes:
Same car's exhaust:
HPIM0866.jpg

Last edited:
PurpleCherokee said:
Dual exhaust overkill? I don't think I'd call anything that gives you more power overkill. How did you not know that I have aftermarket headers??? Ummmm... did you not hear the whole DUAL EXHAUST thing??? Last time I checked, Jeep didn't offer dual exhuast from the factory. So apparently you're smart enough to know ALL about "fluid dynamics" but not smart enough to know that Jeep didn't make a dual outlet header stock... wow.
Oh, and check out thi guy:
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/travisodle/?action=view&current=6f83df9f.pbr
He's getting rid of his dual exhaust in favor of a single 1.5" pipe. He got tired of makin power :rolleyes:
A T-70 turbo will give me plenty more power, i guess thats not overkill. Oh man, I have a log of all your mods and I knew that you had aftermarket headers. Nodody truly offers dual exhaust for cherokees that I know of, aftermarket and obviously stock. Your stupidity with lousy assumptions is killing me man. My 98's stock exhaust manifold has a single outlet, I believe starting with the 2000's they came out with the dual outlet exhaust manifolds. However, both stock and aftermarket that eventually goes into a single pipe which goes into the catalytic converter. Seeing as my friends' got an 00 and its clearly different with two outlets than mine with the single outlet Im pretty sure i know. In fact I think it came in two separate pieces iirc and they had precats. But according to you I guess i didnt know that.....jackass :jester:

Last edited:
Just looked it up to be sure. Yup, stock came with front and rear halves of the exhaust manifold. Nice try though. And wtf are you showing with that exhaust. That's obviously not a cherokee unless it's got a V8 swap....

BBeach said:
A T-70 turbo will give me plenty more power, i guess thats not overkill. Oh man, I have a log of all your mods and I knew that you had aftermarket headers. Nodody truly offers dual exhaust for cherokees that I know of, aftermarket and obviously stock. Your stupidity with lousy assumptions is killing me man. My 98's stock exhaust manifold has a single outlet, I believe starting with the 2000's they came out with the dual outlet exhaust manifolds. However, both stock and aftermarket that eventually goes into a single pipe which goes into the catalytic converter. Seeing as my friends' got an 00 and its clearly different with two outlets than mine with the single outlet Im pretty sure i know. In fact I think it came in two separate pieces iirc and they had precats. But I guess i didnt know that.....jackass :jester:

Wow... that was so retarded I'm speechless... :banghead:

Explain myself??? Ok first of all, you TOTALLY contridicted yourself in your own post. "Nodody truly offers dual exhaust for cherokees that I know of, aftermarket and obviously stock". And then you say "I believe starting with the 2000's they came out with the dual outlet exhaust manifolds".
And apparently you're not aware that you can build your exhaust system however you want it because you say, "However, both stock and aftermarket that eventually goes into a single pipe which goes into the catalytic converter".
"Seeing as my friends' got an 00 and its clearly different with two outlets than mine with the single outlet Im pretty sure i know. In fact I think it came in two separate pieces iirc and they had precats". Ok, show me.

No I didn't. You see the word "truly"? True as in a full setup from headers to tailpipe tip. Anybody can make their own exhaust, no real rules against it....

As far as the 2000+ having the dual outlets, here's a link to ebay. You can prolly find them on crown because thats a company that does a lot of oem replacement parts. Quadratec didn't have one but they get a lot of parts from crown anyways. Hey better yet, why dont you search on naxja....there's gotta be plenty of reading/learning for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-4-0L-Rear-Exhaust-Manifold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33632QQihZ012QQitemZ220217170899QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=10853+4294966994+1557+11921+9339

BBeach said:
No I didn't. You see the word "truly"? True as in a full setup from headers to tailpipe tip. Anybody can make their own exhaust, no real rules against it....

As far as the 2000+ having the dual outlets, here's a link to ebay. You can prolly find them on crown because thats a company that does a lot of oem replacement parts. Quadratec didn't have one but they get a lot of parts from crown anyways. Hey better yet, why dont you search on naxja....there's gotta be plenty of reading/learning for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-4-0L-Rear-Exhaust-Manifold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33632QQihZ012QQitemZ220217170899QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=10853+4294966994+1557+11921+9339

Those are for a GRAND Cherokee you dumbass! You seriously don't know the difference between an XJ and a WJ!? And the ones off ebay aren't stock either! Those are called AFTERMARKET! WOW you're an idiot...

PurpleCherokee said:
Those are for a GRAND Cherokee you dumbass! You seriously don't know the difference between an XJ and a WJ!? And the ones off ebay aren't stock either! Those are called AFTERMARKET! WOW you're an idiot...
I feel like im getting nowhere with you. I know what a wj is, my parents have a wk after lookin at plenty of wj's. In fact I find a lot of great info off www.wjjeeps.com. You should check them out some time. I'll wait for someone else to chime in to help set you straight. So where do you think the dealer gets oem replacements??? There are companies like Crown, like I mentioned that'll do exact OEM replacements. I dont even think that Jeep makes them anymore. When I say aftermarket, I'm referring to performance ones like Banks, Borla, etc. Look around a bit.

EDIT: Ever notice most companies sell a 91-99 header....hmmm

dual outlets are pointless on a cherokee, just cook the gas tank from both sides so it heats up evenly. You have one header bank, the performance exhaust you posted is for a v8, mustang I would assume, possibly another setup. But on a L6 there is no point in duals. It looks cool that is about it.

There is a benifit to running a tri-y setup on an L6, but that is for a proper scavenging effect, if the cylinders are grouped together right it will help to pull the gasses out of the cylinder. However, to maintain that effect it needs to merge with the other trio in order to maintain the effect and balance the cylinders. Essentially the same purpose as the x pipe or H pipe on V8 dual exhausts.

A dual exhaust is not an automatic power gain, nor is it even useful in some applications, My roommate paid out the ass to have a dual exhaust setup put on his 4cyl honda, I would say it was only slightly dumber than putting one on an XJ.

Last edited:
gradon said:
Pacesetter's dual outlet manifold: http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/images/prodimage/thumbs/pacesetter/P40701191.jpg
You could run dual 1.5s instead of using their collector and might even be able to run both straight back in the stock location. Find a fabricator that loves his job and pay him well. It's interesting but I'd still go with the one I have.
oops that pic won't zoom so here's the site: http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/pacesetter-exhaust_jp_m.html

here's the larger image:

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/images/prodimage/images/pacesetter/P40701191.jpg

wolfpackjeeper said:
dual outlets are pointless on a cherokee, just cook the gas tank from both sides so it heats up evenly. You have one header bank, the performance exhaust you posted is for a v8, mustang I would assume, possibly another setup. But on a L6 there is no point in duals. It looks cool that is about it.

There is a benifit to running a tri-y setup on an L6, but that is for a proper scavenging effect, if the cylinders are grouped together right it will help to pull the gasses out of the cylinder. However, to maintain that effect it needs to merge with the other trio in order to maintain the effect and balance the cylinders. Essentially the same purpose as the x pipe or H pipe on V8 dual exhausts.

A dual exhaust is not an automatic power gain, nor is it even useful in some applications, My roommate paid out the ass to have a dual exhaust setup put on his 4cyl honda, I would say it was only slightly dumber than putting one on an XJ.

You're an idiot if you think "dual outlets are pointless on a cherokee" and you obviously no NOTHING about performance. In fact, why don't you call up Clifford (who made my header) and tell them that it's pointless to put dual exhaust on an XJ and see how long it takes them to stop laughing at you.
888-471-1161
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v200/21/7/15924564/n15924564_37790185_8988.jpg
Boy... I'm sure I'm really heatin up my gas tank evenly from both sides...

Is that a dual tip or do you have one pipe running from cylinders 1-3 and one totally separate pipe running from cylinders 4-6? Dual tip is not dual exhaust. Dual headers are still 6-2-1 instead of 6-1. Do you ever think its weird that a crap load of people disagree with you? Or are you the smartest person on this board and people who give you scientific reasoning dont have any idea what theyre talking about?

seanyb505 said:
Do you ever think its weird that a crap load of people disagree with you? Or are you the smartest person on this board and people who give you scientific reasoning dont have any idea what theyre talking about?
x2, I feel like I wasted my time trying to explain and counter every one of his comments. Maybe its a purple cherokee thing. :spin3:

YOU are the one who thinks that Jeep makes stock dual exhaust! Any idiot that knows ANYTHING about Jeeps knows that dual exhaust is not a stock option! And I don't care how many people disagree with me, dual exhaust performs better than single exhaust! And if you disagree with that then sorry, but you're just plain dumb. And no, it's not weird that a "crap load of people" disagree with me because it's just a few really mouthy people that THINK they know somethin when they don't. I'm STILL waiting for you to show me stock dual exhaust on an XJ like you said.

"Is that a dual tip or do you have one pipe running from cylinders 1-3 and one totally separate pipe running from cylinders 4-6? Dual tip is not dual exhaust. Dual headers are still 6-2-1 instead of 6-1"
Neither. It's not a dual tip, and cylinders 1-3 and 4-6 are not "totally seperate". And again... you're an idiot if you think that "dual headers" are 6-2-1.

Back