• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How free flowing should the XJ exhaust be?

Last week I pulled the cat-back off to fix a leak @ that downpipe/cat junction and found that my 3 month old magnaflow was melted(fast $80). Half of the honeycomb came out from me shaking it and the other half my dad punched out. Now this cat was used for 2 months on my 4.0 w/o problems and a month on my 4.6. No lean codes, no pinging, but it wasn't smooth accelerating like it should've, so I felt it was running lean in the midrange. I installed the LT1 injectors after fixing the cat and now my stroker sounds and runs like a beast. I'll contact Magnaflow and see if the warranty applies w/ me being the installer and that I had to punch it out in order to drive.

Cats usually melt from running too rich don't they? Excess fuel burning off in the cat and all.........

I thought it was due to the hot temps of a lean mixture. It could've been due to me running a couple days w/o the heater circuit, thus ecu went into a rich safe mode. Regardless it's my fault and I'm gonna have to replace it. I definitely won't put another one on until it is tuned right.

gradon said:
I thought it was due to the hot temps of a lean mixture. It could've been due to me running a couple days w/o the heater circuit, thus ecu went into a rich safe mode. Regardless it's my fault and I'm gonna have to replace it. I definitely won't put another one on until it is tuned right.
Good because im about to go install mine haha. At least its only $80.

It still hasn't thrown a code with the 98 ecu. I was thinking that the downstream o2 sensor would've notified the ecu that the cat wasn't doing it's job(being gutted), but I guess it's still within range(good).

thats why I ws glad to be stroking my 91 instead of an obd2 truck.

and since it has been about a week...

dyno numbers??? I would do my truck for you guys, I found a good shop to do it at at my new house, but since my truck is still 800 miles away it is gonna be a minute

I have about 1100 on the stroker now. I want to give it another 1000 and get that wideband and tune the psc1, then I'll get on a dyno.

well my 88 xj yard/farm jeep has no exhasut just the manifold and a short downpipe. its loud and loud..as per gas milage not shure it just runs around our land...but it seams that i don't go far on a few gallons of gas...

Just jumping in with an addendum from Norway... My cat' is shot, and I am thinking about replacing it with a strait pipe, or an resonator. Talked to my local garage, an they said that exhaust-mesurements required here is within limits even with the cat' gone!? On my -93 XJ there are no sensors inside or after the cat', only in the downpipe. If you can't messure the difference, what's the use of replacing the damned thing?

some cars run clean without the cat, some cars stink to high heaven. It really comes down to your local laws and how you feel about it. Personally I feel that most of the vehicles I have had run better with the cats and a well built exhaust. And yes, all of them have been run without at one time or another so I do have a comparison to work with

NORCAL_XJ said:
Why did you get a cat with the O2 bungs in it already? What year is your XJ?
I am asking because i wanted to change the cat on my "01" for mileage reasons too. I have 124k on the motor and only get about 220 miles a tank of gas. All of my O2 bungs are in the exhuast and not the cat. Sorry for the Hijack.

Holy Moly, I thought my mileage was bad but I get right at 400 miles per tank. Mine is stock.
I just put Nitrogen in the tires, ordered the Edge products Trail Blazer kit with chip, throttle body and free flow air filter. I am thinking about adding a TB spacer and headers, downpipe and exhaust. With my luck I will spend a couple of grand to get 2-3 more miles per gallon :confused1 . Oh, I have 225,000 miles on my 2000 XJ.

Speaking of Free Flowing... my 2.5" Kolak pipe arrived today.
I've been running a 2.5" magnaflow muffler and cat for a year
with the stock 2.25" pipe... I hope the larger pipe helps a little.

KolakPipe02.jpg

KolakPipe03.jpg

A bump for the dyno numbers on the exhaust system with no cats.

Back