• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Selectable Snorkel (PICTURES SAY 1000 WORDS)

Thanks to anyone who actually read my posts...If nothing else, maybe you can find a way to make this system more efficient. If you wanted to get real into this idea, put and electric valve with a switch in the system. Build an airbox that will accept two air inputs.

I know there is nothing efficient about this setup...I will even tell you that my setup restricts horsepower to a small extent when only the raised air intake is open. As a matter of fact, from an engineering standpoint, I wouldn't NEVER design this setup to be applied if I had another choice. I built this setup before I took fluid mechanics. I take this Jeep out maybe 3 or four times per year and really just don't have the money to care about efficiency.

If I wanted to be more efficient, I would have incorporated electric valves, larger diameter pipe, a fabricated airbox that accepts both air-flow paths, and paid three or four times what I spent. I would have also used more gradual changing elbows and stuff. I could have used sch40 pipe or ABS or something...Maybe clear acrylic tubing.

To the people who felt like you should be nasty, you remind me of stuck up sassy off-roaders. "Like totally....Oh my god...Look at his snorkel...Its like totally ghetto...oh my god...". You people make me sick! Who are you working for? lol

I have a theory about you people. I think you work for off-road companies and are steeling ideas from people and then bashing on the ideas because you plan to use them in some way. This way you are steering people away from the ideas so you can bank on them.

Think of the payoff involved with hiring people to spend all day on forums steeling ideas and bashing on the people in an attempt to keep them quiet.

If my theory isn't true, then why do you take a perfectly good concept (which Ive explained is not "the correct way") and feel like you have to try to be nasty about it? Are you some kind of stuck up, sassy, online nazi, gangsters or something? You make me sick!

Or is that your reasoning?? You try to make people sick.

Any way you look at it, you just need to kick back and try to enjoy life. I'm not competing with you. I don't know you, nor do I want to.

Whatever floats you boat though..! No sweat off my.....

hell yea, I just found a way to keep water out too!!! a lift kit and less than 3 feet of water!!! its super badass! :D

I mean seriously... if you're worried about sucking up water so much to buy or build a snorkel, just stop driving in deep ass water... drop a pair and find some rocks.

bahahaha. Im sure everybody hates me now.

HaZ you're ok in my book. :read: I like your live and let live attitude in a world full of my gun is bigger than yours personas.

Anywho, people who bash snorkels make me chuckle. Just because a person has a snorkel doesn't mean you are a poser (there is no 'u' in poser lol), have to sink your XJ or purchase a periscope. The benefits as i see them are:
1. Clean FRESH air.
2. Better gas mileage.
3. Cheap insurance for the day when "Oh Sh!t:exclamati " happens.

We all drive the same vehicle and share ideas, that's what makes this great. What someone else likes, you may not, but that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not for your rig. Like HaZakated stated, Lighten up, build, wheel, break, build etc. Too much negative crap in this world already let's at least get along as a group who enjoy the same hobby. Creative criticism is essential, bashing is useless.:) -B

i thought it is an excelent idea. i like seein people out there actually doin there oun customs. you can customize it to your likin and still keep it cheap. i give you props on it!! anyone can buy somethin and have it put on, but to build it yourself and have it work is a great feelin and to be able to say I did it is great too! keep it up!

HaZakated said:
Question...Has anyone ever seen a selectable or automatic snorkel system other than this one? If so, can you point me in the direction of where it was you saw it. Has anyone ever seen any motor (generators, compressors, military equipment, ect...) that have multiple air intake entry points?

Probably because no one, not even the military, has any use for that kind of equipment. There is just no useful application for that design. And thats without even being able to see the pictures at work. Pictures say 1000 words? The words were enough on this one................;)

Seems like a good idea to me. The benefit of having two intakes is that the underhood one is less restricted by all the tubing. OK, so it sucks in hotter air just like a stock filter. So what? You really gonna miss that 3 horsepower? If anything it's good because you get better gas mileage the thinner the air is, and fuel economy matters more than horsepower for an offroad vehicle... unless you're some high school idiot who can afford to break your axles showing off, because the schoolbus is always there as a backup.

winkosmosis said:
Seems like a good idea to me. The benefit of having two intakes is that the underhood one is less restricted by all the tubing. OK, so it sucks in hotter air just like a stock filter. So what? You really gonna miss that 3 horsepower? If anything it's good because you get better gas mileage the thinner the air is, and fuel economy matters more than horsepower for an offroad vehicle... .

What? fuel economy on a strictly trail-rig is more important than horsepower?

Its good because mileage is better when the air is thinner? Why do you think there are cold air intake setups? Hint: cold air is denser so you can get "more" of it into the combustion chamber, allowing a more complete and efficient burn of the fuel in the cylinder.

Why do you think most gasoline-powered aircraft have superchargers on them? Because the air is so then at altitude, the engine can produce a fraction of the power at sea level. Same amount of fuel, half as much air, half as much power --> more efficient? of course not.

I like your idea but not the looks of it, but i should keep my mouth shut im thinking about a DIY snorkel too and mine will most likely look even worse.

Back