• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Selectable Snorkel (PICTURES SAY 1000 WORDS)

sjx40250 said:
I don't like the idea of the airflow from the snorkel having to do a u turn to get to the TB. Why not a T? Then the air flow has equal difficulty getting to the TB. I think there is a T that has a radius for both ends that would solve that problem.

I am with you there. This is one of the things I did not consider until the unit was already glued together.

Honestly though, The jeep seems to be getting more HP ever since I made this mod.

jfiscus said:
I like that idea of a 2nd valve in the upper portion of the outside snorkle...

But what if it is raining while you are off-roading? You will need to be pulling air in from the raised air intake.

My favorite idea is to find a filter that can inserted before the throttle body. Kinda like the filter shown below.

RC-5052AS.jpg

Does anyone know of a cheap filter that functions like the one diplayed above?

If he can build a good enough shroud for the snorkel filter, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm guessing something cone shaped - so that the filter can only suck from the bottom? This would protect it fron rain/water in any direction, unless you rolled the Jeep.

EDIT - Maybe something like this......closed on all sides and top, but open on the bottom?

I'd probably say giving a 2 to 3 inch clearance between the shroud and the filter should be good enough for airflow.

And then maybe even have the shroud longer to the front of the filter is it is at an angle tilting backwards.....just some thoughts!

SnorkelShroud.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one of our initial ideas. I did not go this direction because I did not want to fab up a box. I thought I was simplifying the design by eleminating the airbox alltogether. However, after I finished building it, I realized that I liked the fabbed airbox system better than the system I created.

If you decide to go this direction, old toyota pickup trucks use a small rectangle filter that is a good size for this application. The filter accually has rubber seals as opposed to the foam ones that are usally used.

My advise would be to buy the filter, take dimensions from the filter, then build the box around the filter dimensions. This way you won't have to find a filter that fits your box.

The sky is the limit to how you can make this snorkel system selectable. You could use an accuating butterfly valve and put a switch inside your Jeep to control this one. If your feeling lazy, just use a rubber cap and hose clamp (Lowes $3) to seal it when it is not off-road.

WING NUTS CAN GO ON THE PRESS STUDS FOR EASY ACCESS.

Airbox4Assembly.jpg

Airbox3Assembly.jpg

Airbox5Assembly.jpg

Airbox2Assembly.jpg

Here is my old airbox design. We were trying to think of ways to make this snorkel system work (with no luck). We determined that the stock airbox does not belong off-road.

airbox-1.jpg

I still say that what we need is an inline filter that is cheap. This is the way to go.

RC-5052AS.jpg

Last edited:
I had a few comments, both of which you seemed to address later in your thread.

First off, I figured that that rubber tube on the outside is subject to puncture, and or seal breakage. Apparently, it is there for asthetics, with a PVC tube underneath.

Secondly, you need to get this system down to one filter, larger than what you have in there now. That under-hood filter looks like something you'd see on an atv. Here is the problem with the current setup. Obviosly, the snorkle filter is exposed. Suppose you cover that nicely, but still have an exposed under-hood cone filter. You test out your snorkle, fine and dandy. In the mean time, you drench your under-hood filter. After waiting hours for it to dry out, you realize that the water has washed off all of the oil that allows the filter to function. Unlike paper filters, K&N style cone filters use oil for filtration. You will need to oil your filter after each dunking. If you read the cleaning instructions on a K&N, you are supposed to force water from the clean-side out, forcing the dirt off of the filter. By exposing your dirty under-hood filter to water, you are doing the opposite.

The best way to set this up is to get one inline filter. If I had it to do over, this is what I would have done it. My XJ stays in the garage (except when four wheeling). The way I have this system configured will work fine for me. The Jeep is a toy.

If you would like to set your system up different, I encorage you to do so. I gave you some of my ideas so you can use them how you would like.

Have fun with them.

HaZakated

JeepFreak21 said:
IMO, when the path from the airbox to the snorkel is closed, you would have to have an exit path so that there is no chance of water building up in there.
selectable snorkle drawing.JPG

Billy :)

If he had the water drain, you'd have to have another filter or a valve that would close off the drain when the system was opened......so you wouldn't be sucking in unfiltered air.

That is super nice. Thank you more for posting the inline filter housing because I was planning on using a MKII Supra filter housing since the AFM is bolted and they are super easy to make a inline with their 8" drop in filter.

Wounderful pictures and details. Cant wait until I get around to mine. What size pipe did you use. Im wanting to use 3.5" from outside to inside though. Finder will need some bumping though.

Snorkel Updates.................

Here are the problems I have had with this selectable setup:

1. The filter at the top of the snorkel kept getting ripped off by trees.
2. The filter under the hood kept sliding off the 3" PVC when the engine was hot. The vibrations also played into this.
3. The stock rubber peice that comes from the throttle body kept sliding off of the 3" PVC pipe.
4. All of the snorkel components under the hood were vibrating too much.

Here is how I solved these problems (very inexpensively):

1. I created my own filter that fits over the top of the snorkel (drawings of new filter shown below).
2. I scuffed (angle grinded) up the surface where any PVC attaches to rubber to allow more friction between the surfaces.
3. I scuffed (angle grinded) up the surface where any PVC attaches to rubber to allow more friction between the surfaces.
4. I purchaced a $2.00 PVC hanger (from lowes) and used self tapping screws to secure the PVC to the engine compartment metal.

Here is the new filter assembly:

Materials Used include: Spray paint Cap, Any rectangle air filter

Tools used: Sissors, angle grinder

Note: Most spray paint caps will fit tightly onto the end of 2" PVC pipe.
Note: After you buy one rect paper filter, you will have probably 50 filters. Basically, you can change your filter every other day very easily.

Here is the setup:

6f8fkg3.jpg

Here are the build instructions:

Step 1.....Cut the top of the paint cap off using an angle grinder

step 2......Pull the paper off of the rectangle filter (do not rip)

step 3......Cut a circle out of the paper filter that is slightly larger than the inside diameter of the paint cap

step 4..... Using the sissors, cut a circle out of the filter screen that is slightly larger than the inner diameter of the paint cap.

step 5......Jam the circle paper filter up into the paint cap.

step 6......Jam the circle screen up into the paint cap.

step 7......Put the new filter assembly on to the end of the snorkel PVC.

502w64j.jpg

So you did steps 2 and 3 twice to ensure that it was does sufficiantly? :) Nice filter... I dont think i would have ever come up with a spray paint top...

well im not hear to hate...i think its cleaver. another valve may be ok...but i dont think its nes. as far as the top filter...just make some kind of easily changeable cap...so when your out in the middle of lakes you can do your thing...but after yur done playing you could just cap it off. no question then...i would still think up some idea as to if it rains while your in the middle of the lake...lol...nice work tho. doing the same to mine soon enough.

I will get some pics of the new setup ASAP. I also found a $5 rain cap for the new configuration that is very easy to use.

Literally, changing the filter takes less than 25 seconds at normal speed.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is really all i have to say. We all have seen someone come in here and every other forum with pretty much the same half cocked idea on how they made their homemade snorkle..... Sweet, a hose and filter. but seriously think to yourself at this point (and im not trying to squash your ideas just a thougth) why are you trying to re-invent the wheel, when at first your comback to this idea way "how much did you spend on your ARB??"

mine to you after 3 pages is "how much time and effort or time at Lowes did you spend?" at this rate you are going over the price anyone else paid for a snorkle that works with 0 valves and 1 filter, not $20 worth of valves, $50 on filters and $50 on plumbing parts. Terribly overthinking it

Well when you construct something yourself, there's always the hidden benefit.

However that "hose" is apparently just slid over the pipe for looks. So the "hose" is just cosmetic. If that's what you're talking about.

Wow, this thread is from March...

Back