• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch Tire carrier + cas can & HiLift mounts

Looks like google sketchup. if its not, everything ive seen so far can be done on sketchup, and its free!!!!

Cool, I'll go have a look. Thanks.

BIG UPDATE TIRE ON :)

ok well got it done for now. gona do the HiLift mount next week since my neighbor has to go in for a hip replacement. but thats simple and is only a 20min. job. but here it is :) it's awsome finally seein the tire on the carrier haha.
also i have room to make it closer but i want to see how much room i need for the hiLift 1st, and need to get the matching wheel on that tire haha.
IM005448.jpg

IM005449.jpg

IM005451.jpg

not to bad of view. and can see though the wheel : p

IM005452.jpg

it's not bad. but im either going to make a wedge you can slide in so it doesnt rock at all or my friend said he has an idea for something he did with his Dirtbike.

gotta say im stoked to see the tire finally on the rack :) gonna drive it to school tomorrow and make sure everythings good

a wedge for each side would work pretty well I think as long as they didnt fall out when the carrier rocked back and forth. I really like this, it looks well designed and well built. Let us know what you do for your license plate and light.

im not positive on what im gona do for the light. im debating mounting mine on the bumper or the wheel. at the moment it's ziptied to the wheel so it's at least visible.

but as for the wedges it shouldnt be able to rock as long as the wedges are in so idk have to see haha

If there was a way to secure it from forward/backward and side to side wiggling/rattling I think it'd be a killer setup for a DD/weekend warrior type rig.

I guess if people are planning on using this for long periods and not removing it for recovery purposes, you could actually hammer a slim wedge in there so it would not bounce around. I guess that runs the risk of stretching or bending the hitch though...

you should make bars off the mount that bolt onto a bumper or something for less wobble. but looks good

well i dont need to do much. theres really acctually not much wobble. haha suprised me a little haha. theres just like a tinny bit of slop in the hitch that is causing it to wobble a little bit. but i think a swdge or somethin would take care of it. but im not sure yet

nice work!, looks good. have you looked into that hitch clamp for use with the ultimatemxhauler? work for this?I'm used to carrying my bike on the back of mine. I can live with a tire and a bit of slop!

thanks man. and it should work with this. i don't see why not. im gona try the wedge 1st and if not either go for a while and if the small amount bugs me might get one of those mxhaulers or my friends said he knows how to make something similar to it but idk

Why not work a brace off the end of the receiver mount. That way, instead of trying to brace up a single rotation point, you have a triangle to work with.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Right now the entire tire carrier assembly is balanced on a single 2" tube. You are trying to figure out how to jam wedges in here and there to prevent side-to-side motion of the 100 pounds or so that's stuck in the center of your receiver hitch.

Stand upright with your legs and feet tightly together. Make sure you're holding a large weight in your hands and have someone push you sideways. Not too stable, right? Now, spread your legs shoulder-width and have them push you again - much more stable.

What I recommended is similar - support all the weight off the main support as you already have. The Detours bolt-on D-ring fittings gave me the inspiration; instead of using them as a D-ring mount though, use them (or a similar construction) to make an extra "leg" that will help support the tire from rocking side-to-side.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Right now the entire tire carrier assembly is balanced on a single 2" tube. You are trying to figure out how to jam wedges in here and there to prevent side-to-side motion of the 100 pounds or so that's stuck in the center of your receiver hitch.

Stand upright with your legs and feet tightly together. Make sure you're holding a large weight in your hands and have someone push you sideways. Not too stable, right? Now, spread your legs shoulder-width and have them push you again - much more stable.

What I recommended is similar - support all the weight off the main support as you already have. The Detours bolt-on D-ring fittings gave me the inspiration; instead of using them as a D-ring mount though, use them (or a similar construction) to make an extra "leg" that will help support the tire from rocking side-to-side.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

How would you fold it down with the leg attached?

You may be better off just building a sleeve that fits around the tire carrier and the 2" receiver. Then use a bolt and nut to tighten the whole thing down. I mean if you need to use the hitch to tow something you're not going to be pulling out the spare tire carrier quickly anyway.

Last edited:
How does it fold down now? Hinge pin? There's no reason you can't use another one. It just needs to provide pressure to hold the main support from rocking.

im not positive on what im gona do for the light. im debating mounting mine on the bumper or the wheel. at the moment it's ziptied to the wheel so it's at least visible.

but as for the wedges it shouldnt be able to rock as long as the wedges are in so idk have to see haha

on my jeep I got a lic lamp from auto parts store ( i think old ford circle style flush mount), provided a ground and moved the wire over,hole sawed the rear hatch to fit the lamp. I mounted it as far to the left as I could and screwed the plate to the hatch

Back