• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesitation Stumble Misfire

Glad to hear it--you had a tough one and did a good job of hunting it down.

I never thought Tech problems and the repairs would make for an interesting read...

But it did!

I spoke too soon.....

No start with the following error codes reported using the Check Engine Light:
12 - Batt Disconnected/Start of codes
54 - No sync pickup signal during engine rotation
33 - Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted
27 - Injector circuit isn't switching when it's told to (TBI)
42 Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted
OR
42 Fuel pump relay control circuit
OR
42 Fuel level unit - no change over miles
OR
42 Z1 voltage missing when autoshutdown circuit energized (The Z1 voltage is the voltage of the circuits fed by the autoshutdown relay. This typically includes fuel pump and switched-battery feed to the ignition coil)

76 - I have not been able to find any Jeep OBD1 Error Code List that shows any info for this code.

(Found the code definitions on Jeep Horizons)

Just so we're all on the same page.
Distributor is New and therefore so is the Cam Position Sensor
Crank Position Sensor is New
TPS is NEW
ASD Relay is a known good relay
A/C Relay is a known good relay

No spark.
Checked by disconnecting the coil wire from the distributor and inserting a spark plug into the wire, then grounding the plug.

My son is really getting disheartened and quite frankly...so am I.

Anyone have a brilliant idea?

Is there are ground being provided by the PCM to the ASD relay?

76 Fuel Pump Resistor Bypass Relay Circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the ballast resistor bypass circuit. The Balast resistor is by-passed during crank.... A code 72 could be a possible result of the cause of code 42......

42 ASD relay control circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shut down relay circuit.

If the relay is not operating, it knows it. It has a monitor for the output and pops a code if that output voltage is too low.
A shorted fuel injector or O2 sensor heater will cause a 42, for example. Too much current draw from the short results in low voltage on the circuit... pop! a 42.

A missing ASD relay during key-on or cranking will pop a 42 also.

54 (no sync during crank) is definitely your your no start. The PCM is not getting a sync signal from the cam sensor ( herein referred to as CMP) it will turn off the ASD relay during crank if there is no CMP. This effectively shuts off the coil, the fuel injectors, the fuel pump relay and the O2 heater. (alternator too, for that matter) ...well, everything the ASD controls, that is.

I saw that you direct-grounded the sync sensor 'ground' wire. That is not supposed to be direct grounded to chassis/block ground. That is what is called a sensor ground, which is fed through the PCM. It is such that the electrical noise associated with chassis grounds are filtered from sensor circuits.
You are causing no harm but it can 'dirty' the signal.

INJ 1 control circuit Injector 1 output driver does not respond properly to the
or control signal.
INJ 2 control circuit Injector 2 output driver does not respond properly to the
or control signal.
INJ 3 control circuit Injector 3 output driver does not respond properly to the control signal.

possibly caused by the ASD being shut off... kind of a casualty of code 54, so to speak, or there is actually a shorted injector.

33. A/C clutch circuit... meh.. ... don't give it another thought...

Last edited:
We figured it out a this evening, just finished about 45 minutes ago actually.

Let's just say that the son learned that when dad gives a lesson in the proper use of a crimper it's best to listen.

Was it at the 60-pin connector on the PCM?

Back