• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help

crazymoose1990

NAXJA Forum User
So I need some tools and some help. 1st I need a ball joint remover
2nd I need a compressor and an impact gun.
I also need some info has anyone ever installed a rear main seal themselves? How hard is this I bought the seal a year ago, I am now tired of oil being deposited onto my garage floor.

Thanks Jason party1:

I'm no help on the last two but for the ball joint press go rent one from Auto Zone. You basically buy it up front but when you return it they refund all your money.

Same with o reillys, you should be able to do ball joints without impact gun. Maybe a breaker bar on ratchet though.

Rear main seal is simple. Drop oil pan, Remove rear main bearing cap. Punch out old seal top and bottom, replace, Put it all back together. With the better quality gaskets these days hardly any silicone is needed. PLus your lifted so dropping pan is real simple.

Yeah I tryed that last time and for the life of me I could not get those ball joints out.
I was told it always works better with a compressor and an impact gun.
Yeah I sqwashed the heck outta those ball joints never did get them out. I gave the housing away as is.

If you want to rent the ball joint press tool that my local O'reillys has, and bring over the new Ball joints.. I'll install them for you here at my place..

Bring something to take home your used oil in, and the new Seals, and we can knock out your RMS in the same day..

Thanks Scott I am only looking at pulling the ball joints out of my 44 so I can have my truss welded on. I will be sand blasting my axle after that. I would like to do my rear main seal also but realized that I just changed my oil, so I think I will wait a year to do the rear main seal, since I only put 5 thousand miles on annually. I will take you up on that offer at a later date if thats okay?

Let me know what weekend works for you, and I will look at my schedule
Thanks Jason

Yeah thats a little far thanks for the offer, If I could drive my daily driver I would say yes, I love to drive my Jeep but hate to fill the tank. I look forward to wheeling with you soon.

Thanks Jason

Thanks Scott I am only looking at pulling the ball joints out of my 44 so I can have my truss welded on. I will be sand blasting my axle after that. I would like to do my rear main seal also but realized that I just changed my oil, so I think I will wait a year to do the rear main seal, since I only put 5 thousand miles on annually. I will take you up on that offer at a later date if thats okay?

Let me know what weekend works for you, and I will look at my schedule
Thanks Jason

well if you change your mind.. Let me know.. I can have those ball joints out in a matter of seconds..

the RMS is what normally takes a couple hours, when trying to keep things clean

I think there was a misunderstanding, I do want your help pulling my ball joints out.
I am not intrested in reinstalling them though, as for the rear main seal I am still intrested I would however like to wait until my oil needs changing again.
So what weekend works for you. :)

Thanks Jason

If you still need help let me know.. I live in Shelton and would be happy to help. R/M is a simple task and ball joint for the most part are a breeze. Let me know.

Jack

I always like to have the help of ladies, you are smarter that we are. I bought NAPA premium are those okay? Phile Maybe you Avatar is a misrepresentation if your name is Jack. Shelton is way to far regardless.

Thanks for all the offers everyone I think Scott and me are going to knock them out Sunday? Right Scott what time works for you.

Last edited:
Okay so this never happend over the weekend. So is there anyone who is local that can help me that has an impact gun, I really need to get these off Im about to try the old fashion method with a breaker bar and leverage. While Im at it I may as well remove my pinoin gear.

Thanks Jason

Back