• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! sutck installing 4.5"

nestore

NAXJA Forum User
so i woke up all pumped and i started to do the KIT :repair: and i am am now stuck with the springs. :cry: i cant compress them enough to continue. i dont think that i got enough clearance on the car with the jack to work on the lift but i am just stuck. :anon:

is there anyone that may lay a hand? this is my daily driver and i just thought that it was easier than this..... :bawl:

all is disconnected. i had to use a spring compressor to put the spring in but as i said, i dont have enough clearance so im afraid of taking it off because i wont be able to put the control arms. :wierd: i really am clueless about this.... should have seen this coming....:skull2:

Just unbolt the lower control arms, the axle should drop a great deal. Make sure you have the jack underneath the axle to lower it down more so that you can lift it up to put the LCAs back in. Put springs in, bolt on the spring clips, and then jack up the axle and align it to put the lower control arms back in.
The first lift I did we used a very long crowbar to help compress the spring more, wedged it between the coil and the coil bucket, lift up and slide it onto the bucket.

cody hit it right on the ball. I had to do the same thing. The coil spring just would not compress enough to slide in there. So I got a crow bar and it seemed to go in much easier. Might need some band aids too. The last time I tried to put my coils in, I ended up going to the doctors office in the middle of installing the lift..:bawl:

On bolting those lower control arms will let the axle down a couple more inches. If I was closer I would come help because I have dealt with this situation now more than 5 times. Good luck with it though, be patient, dont throw too many tools, you'll get it done.

Just drink more beer, that has always been the trick for me. Everything seems to work after that, or I just think it is.

I used a couple Ratcheting straps to compress the springs enough to stuff in there. Kinda Dangerous so be carefull, but I have done it quite a few times without it ever popping out.

Hope you get it done, too bad your so far away...

Dam, thanks alot Andy,Martell and Bill for coming by..., it was freaking freezing outside :shiver: and the whole banging those dam Leafs at 10 PM really got great reviews from the :speepin: neighbors......funny stuff though, right after i finished picking up, Cops came by and asked if i was working on my car this late... i said, nope.:dunno:

If you are putting in a 4.5 lift you should be getting at least new lowers. Put all that on the right way, disconnect the trackbar at the axle and pop the link of the pitman arm and the axle should fall enough for you to just pop them in. You also have to unbolt the shocks at the axle and possibly remove the brake calipers.

Good luck and post up when you are done.

Hows the progress coming?

As far as the help. Not a problem. You are lucky I have good friends willing to dealw tih me and my liking to help people (even though I am an A-hole).

Hows the progress coming?

shes grounded. the dam breakline ext. are wrong so i adjusted them. bled the lines and have to go shopping for a hole driller as the one i have/had snapped in half.

lost half if not most of the day as the wife had to go "Shopping!!" :flamemad:

plan on finishing tom. after work.

Just an FYI. For the front springs, disconnect the shocks, and swaybar, move them out of the way and jack the opposite side of the axle up, the side coming down will have the spring almost fall out. Repeat on other side. No spring compressors needed.

i had to put the truck up pretty high in order to have room for the springs and bump stop... try bleeding the brake line before u put calipers back on...

Back