• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP - Offroader missing - California \ Nevada

I am not going to disrespect this poor dude by saying he's a fool for wheeling alone. I think wheeling alone is fun and the solitude is nice.

I hate to hear stuff like this, it has to be tough on his family right here at the holidays.

I'm not familiar at all with the area but was it exposure to the elements that brought him down or an injury of some sorts.

"I think wheeling alone is fun and the solitude is nice."

You'll be very alone if something goes wrong. So will your Family at home when you end up like this poor soul.

Don't do it, it's not worth it, no matter how experienced or prepared you think you are. Do you honestly think you'd be the first guy found dead who thought he was prepared and well equipped?

Don't be this guy.

"Self reliance and preparedness are not for everyone."

Smart choices arn't for everybody either.

Don't worry, it could never happen to you. You're too smart. You're too prepared.

Don't worry, it could never happen to you. You're too smart. You're too prepared.

Yep, I have something that is called "common sense".
If you don't have that, I suggest you sell your four wheel drive vehicle and get a Honda. I hear it's much safer. ;)

If you truly had "common sense" we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But, I only say this because I don't want to see another life lost needlessly. There was no reason this man had to go alone, but because he did he's no longer with us.

Just looking out for my fellow wheeler.

There was no reason this man had to go alone, but because he did he's no longer with us.

I'll ignore the first part of your post. :rolleyes:

The reason he is not with us is not because he went alone but because he was unprepared. This was one person out of thousands of hunters, wheelers, hikers, photographers, adventurers, etc. that go out alone all the time.

Wow! Just Wow!

But, I only say this because I don't want to see another life lost needlessly. There was no reason this man had to go alone, but because he did he's no longer with us.

You must really like to show off your ignorance. :rolleyes:

As I said before:
most people don't have enough experence to know what to do when stuck alone in the wild.

I think most don't . . . but some do!

The reason he is not with us is not because he went alone but because he was unprepared. This was one person out of thousands of hunters, wheelers, hikers, photographers, adventurers, etc. that go out alone all the time.

I don't think you can say that Jes, you don't know how prepared he was. No one knows the full story of what happened to Jay LaFontaine, no one was with him when he died. I think it is kind of disrespectful to be speculating about his death.

You know I figured we were going to just agree to disagree and leave it at that. But alas I guess not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJeep

"You must really like to show off your ignorance."

Where in there is any ignorance displayed?

Where in there is any ignorance displayed?

Every bit of this post:

To think one man lost his life because he was out alone shows me you are uneducated about how many people go into the wilderness alone each year.

To questioning Jes's "common sence" about wheeling alone, to me shows you are unaware of how often Jes and others wheel alone each year.

To say there was no reason for him to go out alone shows me you are uninformed, you have no clue why he wanted to go out, or why he went alone.

Now lets define the word ignorance: "The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed."

DanNJeep to use your own words, if you truly had "common sense" you wouldn't be posting rude and coments about issues you clearly show you know nothing about.

Heres a thought for you, think about how many other people were out alone in the wilderness on the same day Jay was. Should they have all taken your advice and stayed home too?

A- If this man had another jeep with him he would not be dead. Period.

B- There was no reason to go alone. It was his choice. A bad one that cost him his life.

C- So it's ok to do something that every acknowledged professional on the subject says never to do, based on the fact that thousands do it??? OK so I guess it's ok to drive drunk based on that logic.

D- Can you please name one recognized organization or magazine or anyone of any authority that states it's ok to travel alone? Or as is the case does EVERYONE say to not go alone?

E- "To questioning Jes's "common sence" about wheeling alone, to me shows you are unaware of how often Jes and others wheel alone each year" So to follow your logic again, I guess it's ok to something dangerous becuase nothing tragic has happened YET? "I been doing it for years, that makes it ok" Is this what you're sticking to?

F- "rude and coments about issues you clearly show you know nothing about" The only asshat on here that was rude is YOU. I clearly stated I felt it was tragic, and unneccessary for this man to have died needlessly. Can you please quote me prior to this post where I've been rude?

In conclusion, you're logic of how many people, this many times, for years we've done it this way is fatally flawed. But hey, it can't happen to you, you're prepared.

Congrats on your nomination

in before lock

But hey, it can't happen to you, you're prepared.

Let's drop the condescending tone here buddy. I think that is what the problem is here, your preechy attitude. Relax, no need to get all worked up about this.

I will not condone wheeling alone, but to put someone down because they choose to do so is ignorant. Yes a second vehicle is ideal, but not maditory. If I were to go on an extended trip all by myself I would leave a detailed plan with a family member as to where I specifically plan on going, and when I would be back and then I would stick to that plan. There are satelite tracking devices that you can use to alert people that you need help too.

Being prepared is way more important than who you are bringing with you. I personally do lot like wheeling alone but I have done it many times. If you lack the experience to wheel alone then I suggest you find a buddy and go with them.

A- If this man had another jeep with him he would not be dead. Period.
Maybe or maybe more people could have died with him.

B- There was no reason to go alone. It was his choice. A bad one that cost him his life.
You don't know what his reasons were to go out alone, and you don't know what ended up costing him his life. Stop spectulating on what may have cost him his life.

C- So it's ok to do something that every acknowledged professional on the subject says never to do, based on the fact that thousands do it??? OK so I guess it's ok to drive drunk based on that logic.
Going into the wilderness alone is as bad as Drunk driving? I think there are some risks to going out alone, but come on.

D- Can you please name one recognized organization or magazine or anyone of any authority that states it's ok to travel alone? Or as is the case does EVERYONE say to not go alone?
There is no way anyone would say going out alone is ok, if someone dies the lawers of the family would be all over them!

E- "To questioning Jes's "common sence" about wheeling alone, to me shows you are unaware of how often Jes and others wheel alone each year" So to follow your logic again, I guess it's ok to something dangerous becuase nothing tragic has happened YET? "I been doing it for years, that makes it ok" Is this what you're sticking to?
I don't think it is that dangerous for experenced people to be out in the wilderness alone.

F- "rude and coments about issues you clearly show you know nothing about" The only asshat on here that was rude is YOU. I clearly stated I felt it was tragic, and unneccessary for this man to have died needlessly. Can you please quote me prior to this post where I've been rude?
I was offended by your rude "Smart choices arn't for everybody either" and your questioning Jes's "commen sence" statments.

Also there is no need for calling me names here, I understand you are upset, but try to show some respect.

In conclusion, you're logic of how many people, this many times, for years we've done it this way is fatally flawed. But hey, it can't happen to you, you're prepared.
People die at work, at home, on the way to chirch, and people die in the wilderness. You don't know how Jay died, or how prepaired he was. As I said before I think most people should not wheel alone as most people don't have enough experence to know what to do when stuck alone in the wild. I do not know if this was what happened to Jay, and I don't beleave you do ether.

I'm not the one that has run Fordyce by myself. :D

Don't phorget . . .
Phil.gif

Back