• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater core

brent

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get the heater core replaced, torn the old pile of junk apart, question is do I have to disconnect the ac lines to get the heater core out of the heater box? really don't want to, the air still works well and is charged with r12, yea old school, but I don't want to mess with that park.

Every vehicle I've seen requires the whole dash to be removed and the HVAC housing removed and then split to replace the heater core. THis means the AC line has to be disconnected. I just looked in the 2000 FSM and it confirms that Cherokee's require this procedure. Never did it on an XJ, only a Durango. Good luck. I assume it's leaking or you wouldn't resort to this. Might be worth it to do the evaporator at the same time.

ok, so being the cheap sob that I am, I got the box loose, enough that I could remove the screws in the top of the box and get the heater core out, and new one back in, yea it would have been a ton easier to evac the hvac, but would have cost another 90+ and this thing is not worth the heater core I just put in it let alone more.

possible, yes, would I do it again, probably not.

Hehe... I did this in august.. HAVE A BLAST! Shouldn't be too hard just make sure you oragnize those bolts and dont break your clock spring like i did, but it doesnt seem like you'd have one idk older jeep no air bags??.. Also a helper will make this 10x easier.

Too bad you didn't take any pics to show your method without disconnecting or removing the evap!

I did take a couple, but no place to post them, the one thing I did do most wouldn't have done is pull the windshield, since thats what I do, I did. had the dash hanging from the wires on the drivers side going out the window and hooked to the hood that was up, then the air box pulled as far out as I could and down, this gave me just enough room to get a 1/4 drive ratchet in there to get the screws out, then it took some work to raise the heater core up and box down to partally clear the tubes and the box, then rotated the left side of the core up and out. went back in the same way, what I would have given for a 9/32 ratchet wrench.

Hehe... I did this in august.. HAVE A BLAST! Shouldn't be too hard just make sure you oragnize those bolts and dont break your clock spring like i did, but it doesnt seem like you'd have one idk older jeep no air bags??.. Also a helper will make this 10x easier.

its a 91, no messin with air bags for me.

So could you do it without removing the windshield? Aside from it being your speciality, it seems like an evac and recharge would be a toss-up to R&R a windshield for most of us amateurs.

So could you do it without removing the windshield? Aside from it being your speciality, it seems like an evac and recharge would be a toss-up to R&R a windshield for most of us amateurs.

yea, you could, it was easier to get the dash out of the way without unpluging everything from the back side of it

Back