• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater core

Presumably its a bypass rather than an on-off valve.

You are 100% correct.

The hoses from the thermostat housing to the bypass valve and back to the water pump when the heater is off gets hot much faster than the hose going to the radiator.

However, there is a bit of circulation through the valve because eventually the hoses connected directly to the heater core do get hot even though the valve is closed.

Gotta ask how hot water reaches the tstat while its closed. If no water is flowing to the tstat, then the water around the tstat will warm up much more slowly than if engine coolant is circulating to it. If there is no flow, the water in the head around the combustion chamber and exhaust ports can become much hotter than the water at the tstat. The overheating effect is temporary because eventually the tstat will become hot enough to open.

The common belief is that tstats have a bleed hole to allow a small amount of circulation, but most tstats do not have one, and even if a tstat has one, the bleed hole is tiny and won't let a high volume of water pass. With that in mind, have a look at the heater core water flow circuit. It siphons water off the primary circuit right at the tstat housing and then returns it directly to the water pump which then sends the water through the engine coolant passages. This creates a substantial flow of warmed water to the tstat while it remains shut. If the heater core is clogged, then no warm water flow to the closed tstat, and instead, the tstat opens when the stagnant water at the tstat warms up.

An interesting question is what temperature differential occurs between the tstat and the head in this scenario. In the summer when outside temperatures are higher, the tstat temperature may not severely lag the head temperature, but in the winter, the lag may be more substantial.

A clogged heater core in combination with a closed tstat is also bad because there will be substantial cavitation at the water pump during this period, causing more rapid degradation of the pump vanes.

I was questioning your whole theory? There is a internal bypass which accomplishes flow regardless of the heater core or tstat function!

I was questioning your whole theory? There is a internal bypass which accomplishes flow regardless of the heater core or tstat function!

The heater core loop will function as I described on XJs with or without the bypass valve. The heater core itself has nothing to do with the function I described.

For sure what I described is definitely happening, and the tstat will definitely heat up more slowly if the heater core loop is blocked. What's up for debate is how much the head temperature will surpass the tstat temperature during engine warmup if the heater core loop is blocked. But I wouldn't want to use my XJ as the guinea pig.

The cylinder block and cylinder head have a bypass built in, so coolant is always circulating and without cavitation.

There is a bypass built into the thermostat housing between the radiator hose and the heater core hose. Is that the bypass you are referring to?

In my previous post, that bypass allow coolant flow to occur when the thermostat is closed and to be recirculated into/by the water pump into the block via the heater valve and for the later XJ's into and out of the heater core.

I can see that if there is a blockage, the normal coolant flow would be affected and thus the effective cooling of the engine. How badly? I don't know.

The cylinder block and cylinder head have a bypass built in, so coolant is always circulating and without cavitation.

The only inlets to the water pump for my 2000 XJ were the main coolant hose and the heater core. Do you have a sketch of the internal passages in the block and head?

There is a bypass built into the thermostat housing between the radiator hose and the heater core hose. Is that the bypass you are referring to?

I meant the "water valve" in the image below. I'm not aware of a bypass built into the tstat housing.

96_down02_9d5d519559245af73579b1ad7627a6f2a632dd20.gif

The only inlets to the water pump for my 2000 XJ were the main coolant hose and the heater core. Do you have a sketch of the internal passages in the block and head?

The first pic shows the backside of the pump with a suction-side port that matches the block.
waterpump.jpg

next is a pic of the block with the port on the pump face and extending to the cylinder head face.
P1080510_zpszrlfib5k.jpg

next is a pic of the head and you can see where the port enters the cylinder head face.
P1080514_zpslz6n2eoi.jpg

Its important that the heater core circuit flow water. The heater flow circuit is the primary means to allow water to circulate to the tstat while the tstat is shut. If the heater core is clogged, then your engine won't warm up properly. It could overheat without you knowing it. If its actually clogged, it should be bypassed or replaced ASAP.

That why Cruiser54 was asking for your justification!

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

The port on the side of the block will definitely alleviate cavitation, but does the port in the head really lead into the coolant passage in the head? I have a head on the bench at home I can inspect later tonight, but here is a photo I quickly where there appears to be a nub at that location rather than an opening. Not obvious that the port connects to main coolant passage in the head, but it could be that the port opening in the main coolant passage points back.

dscn0906_041654d9c8d9de8e1622ffe6687b62b7125cab37.jpg

Hook some water up to it!

The port on the side of the block will definitely alleviate cavitation, but does the port in the head really lead into the coolant passage in the head? I have a head on the bench at home I can inspect later tonight, but here is a photo I quickly where there appears to be a nub at that location rather than an opening. Not obvious that the port connects to main coolant passage in the head, but it could be that the port opening in the main coolant passage points back.

So the port on the head does pass through into the main coolant passage. I was totally wrong about the necessity of the heater core circuit to provide warm water to the tstat.

So the port on the head does pass through into the main coolant passage. I was totally wrong about the necessity of the heater core circuit to provide warm water to the tstat.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Knowledge is the best tool you can have!

Back