• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat Sheilding w/350 and fuel injection question

350xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I've got my engine bay completely bare right now and I am sanding down and bondoing anything that needs to be filled. When I get done with that I want to make sure that I have some kind of heat sheilding paint. Is that a good idea or should I just make it a normal paint and try something else to keep the heat out. Any suggestions.
ps-I'm putting a 350 in there is why I ask.

Also, I'm going to try and put crossfire fuel injection in my truck. Any suggestions/comments on how I should do this or if I should at all. I really want to have the benefits of fuel injection. How complicated do I get with all the wiring with cfi? Thanks!

The '84 Corvette was introduced with CrossFire Injection and it was history one year later. From what I've read, Chevy engineers couldn't wait to get rid of it, mainly due to uneven mixture distribution between cylinders, poor cold starting and ultra-lean mixture if one of the two throttle bodys fails.

i'll second that on the crossfire injection. it was HUGELY problematic, which is why it was ****canned almost immediately. conventional FI would be a good addition, especially if you 'wheel at severe angles.

heat shielding paint may not be a bad idea, considering how close to the sheetmetal the headers are likely going to be. i've never seen a 350 in an XJ in person - i can only guess how close the quarters are going to be in there...

any ideas on what you are going to use to cool this beast I also have an XJ with a 350 in it But I havent even started on the cooling part any ideas?????

Thanks \
Jason C.

From what I've heard you can use a late-model xj radiator (obviously fits nicely) and a couple electric fans and it keeps it plenty cool. I want to do something else to keep it from over-heating off-road and I'm not sure what I'm going to use. I'm sure you are planning on off-roading, too so I'm not sure what else to tell you, sorry.
Thanks for the info, guys. Any fi's that I can pull off of other vehicles that I should look at?

chevy 350?
EFI: I would use the OEM facotry TBI, get the distrubutor all the sensors and computer.

Or convert to propane, no computer, no fuel pump, simple and clean. I was worried about pulling electronics off a non runnging truck in a salvage yard, If you pull TBI off a working engine then I would consider it. So much to trouble shoot if you get junk. Propane is simple and I hope to have a reliable system at a low cost.

Im not done yet. But I chose to sell my Xj steering box and ram and go full hydro to fit a larger 27X19in aluminum radiator from summit $169. The Becool Xj shape radiator was like $650 but in my oppionion would hold up to a mild 350.A local buy did that for his swap.

t_steeringvalve_174.jpg

Ill be running propane, two 10gallon tanks $200 new, with a IMPCO450 mixer kit $160 used. chevy350-th400-203-205

worked on the tranny tunnel all weekend. very slow work. Will be all stainless steel and really trick when its all done. My rig is too gutted to really care about the firewall "look".

ashmanjeepxj said:
chevy 350?
EFI: I would use the OEM facotry TBI, get the distrubutor all the sensors and computer.

Or convert to propane, no computer, no fuel pump, simple and clean. I was worried about pulling electronics off a non runnging truck in a salvage yard, If you pull TBI off a working engine then I would consider it. So much to trouble shoot if you get junk. Propane is simple and I hope to have a reliable system at a low cost.

Im not done yet. But I chose to sell my Xj steering box and ram and go full hydro to fit a larger 27X19in aluminum radiator from summit $169. The Becool Xj shape radiator was like $650 but in my oppionion would hold up to a mild 350.A local buy did that for his swap.

Ill be running propane, two 10gallon tanks $200 new, with a IMPCO450 mixer kit $160 used. chevy350-th400-203-205

worked on the tranny tunnel all weekend. very slow work. Will be all stainless steel and really trick when its all done. My rig is too gutted to really care about the firewall "look".

If you have any more pics I'd like to see them. What kind of hydro setup are you planning on? What was the part # on that radiator? I couldn't find the one you were talking about...I don't think I could fit that one i mine anyway, though with all my reinforcing. Thanks for the info :)

~Charlie

im putting a 350 in my 84. hopefully this weekend ill get to set the motor in place and go from there. I havent figured out what im going to do as far a radiotor but i know i will be running one fan on top of the block-from hood. and one behind the radiotor. ill try to get some pics.

I hate to say it because I think they look like crap, but hood vents will help a lot. I couldn't go that far, but shimmed up the back of my hood and the water temps went down a little bit.

350xj4x4 said:
If you have any more pics I'd like to see them. What kind of hydro setup are you planning on? What was the part # on that radiator? I couldn't find the one you were talking about...I don't think I could fit that one i mine anyway, though with all my reinforcing. Thanks for the info :)

~Charlie

$169,
Dual 1in core, aluminum, chevy style Drivers side High.
SUM-380328

27.375X19in
sum-380328_w.jpg

I bought a steering valve from a local forklift salvage yard, I have a cherlyn 211-1035 valve, it has 7.3cuin/rev displacement, open center, not loadreactive. A 2.5inX1.25 double ended ram would be ideal and around 4 turns clock to clock, but a single ended 2inX1.125 ram is my choice for now, easier to mount and lower cost, and I can adapt it to my old hydro assist setup.

build up thread

Last edited:
I did something unorthodox to my friends 1985 4-runner with a 302 that kept overheating no matter what . he even swapped in a radiator from a 351 application

I took an old computer case, cut a hole in it and mounted one of those 12 inch auto-zone electric fans to it, I then secured 2 1979 ford truck heater cores inside it.
T'd into the heater circuit, bypassing the cab heater and shutoff valve. Secure the case to the fender and voila, no overheating. it adds about a gallon or so to the system including hose, and the additional cooling capacity was all he needed. this could easily be done in an xj especially one without factory airbox or ac.

all told it was 15 bucks per core+free computer+ $60 fan

the fan also blows down past the header, further reducing engine bay temps.

ashmanjeepxj said:
$169,
Dual 1in core, aluminum, chevy style Drivers side High.

I bought a steering valve from a local forklift salvage yard, I have a cherlyn 211-1035 valve, it has 7.3cuin/rev displacement, open center, not loadreactive. A 2.5inX1.25 double ended ram would be ideal and around 4 turns clock to clock, but a single ended 2inX1.125 ram is my choice for now, easier to mount and lower cost, and I can adapt it to my old hydro assist setup.

While I appreciate all that, I don' think I understood a lick :p Thanks though. I'll probably just go with the hydro-assist. I'm not going to be doing all that much off-roadin'. Do you really have to drop the steering box to put that rad. in there, though? That's a bummer...

goodburbon said:
I did something unorthodox to my friends 1985 4-runner with a 302 that kept overheating no matter what . he even swapped in a radiator from a 351 application

I took an old computer case, cut a hole in it and mounted one of those 12 inch auto-zone electric fans to it, I then secured 2 1979 ford truck heater cores inside it.
T'd into the heater circuit, bypassing the cab heater and shutoff valve. Secure the case to the fender and voila, no overheating. it adds about a gallon or so to the system including hose, and the additional cooling capacity was all he needed. this could easily be done in an xj especially one without factory airbox or ac.

all told it was 15 bucks per core+free computer+ $60 fan

the fan also blows down past the header, further reducing engine bay temps.

I think I might have to mimic that! Sounds like an awesome idea and a great way to reduce heat for cheap. Thanks for the info!

~Charlie

350xj4x4 said:
While I appreciate all that, I don' think I understood a lick :p Thanks though. I'll probably just go with the hydro-assist. I'm not going to be doing all that much off-roadin'. Do you really have to drop the steering box to put that rad. in there, though? That's a bummer...

You can do like C-rok did and move the steering box below the frame, but yes the steering box is on the inside of the frame rails so it limits the size radiator you can fit. with the steering box a XJ shaped Aluminum radiator would be best but not ideal.

sounds like you should re-locate your steering box, mines not a street machine.

ashmanjeepxj said:
You can do like C-rok did and move the steering box below the frame, but yes the steering box is on the inside of the frame rails so it limits the size radiator you can fit. with the steering box a XJ shaped Aluminum radiator would be best but not ideal.

sounds like you should re-locate your steering box, mines not a street machine.

I guess I didn't really think about relocating it. I'll do a search and see what I can find on the issue. Thanks ashman

Back