• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

have some questions buying a xj 97+???

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
my 96 just got wrecked by a DD so now i want to buy a new xj. i want a 97 -2001. i was able to grab the 8.25, d30, np231 w/sye and the front of a RE 5.5" lift and a running I6, AX15 w/ the comp,slave,pedal, (wires and comp if I need them) and alot of new parts. I want a manual 2dr like i had but they are hard to find. what years are better than others. and what about the whole auto to manual thing. will it be that hard with the electrical part.

00/01 5speeds were special order, makeing them practically non-existant, they have a low pinion D30, are prone to cylinder head problems & have the expensive composite rotors. A lot of people think the 97/99 are the best XJs ever built. I like to buy beater 4.0 XJs to repair & sell & I just passed on an 00 for these reasons. Too much money, when the earlier ones are better. Obviously my opinion is go for a 97/99.

Try to find a '99. Arguably the best 97+ model year.

8.25 rear axle
High Pinion D30
Larger Intake Manifold
No cylinder head cracking issues ('00+ -possibly late '99)

well thats good info. i was planning on rebiulding the 8.25 and dana 30 from my 96 and using them when i do the build on my 97-99 anything i have to worry about?

The only real difference between a 97/98 and a 99 is the intake manifold. Not a difference you would ever really notice.

well thats good info. i was planning on rebiulding the 8.25 and dana 30 from my 96 and using them when i do the build on my 97-99 anything i have to worry about?

One other thing to note is that the spline count changed on the 8.25. The older units have 27 spline axles, and the newer have 29. I don't know when the cutoff is, but I know my '99 has 29 splines.

Try to find a '99. Arguably the best 97+ model year.

8.25 rear axle
High Pinion D30
Larger Intake Manifold
No cylinder head cracking issues ('00+ -possibly late '99)
No pre-cats

One other thing to note is that the spline count changed on the 8.25. The older units have 27 spline axles, and the newer have 29. I don't know when the cutoff is, but I know my '99 has 29 splines.
Mid-model-year 96 was when the changeover to 29-spline C8.25 occurred.

Since the OP already has axles, tranny, engine, etc - it really sounds as though the only thing needed is a body. With that in mind, is there actually a question in the first post somewhere?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

i have a 99 classic and i have a d35c in the rear?

Last edited:
i have a 99 classic and i have a d35c in the rear?
Okay.

?

The Chrysler-era XJs (1991-2001) had two rear axle options. If they had ABS, they used the D35 rear axle. If no ABS, it was almost always the C8.25, but non-ABS D35s were out there after 1991.

Composite rotors also aren't an issue for the various years because once again if I understand the OP correctly, he already HAS axles available.

I do remember reading that in '99 the body was strengthened (mildly?).
The rear-hatch was changed to metal, from fiber-glass, in '97.

I couldn't find the jeepspeed page which had this information, and not just a
copy-paste of the history that every other page has.

I don't know about body strengthening in 99, but the hatch changed design (hinges, latch, overall shape) in 97 along with the material change. The metal rear hatch weighs just about the same as the thicker fiberglass one.

Jim http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html (cookie-cutter with lots o'extras)

So just to recap the 97-99 are the sameexept the intake manifold. Any benefits tothis? shouldit really matter what year i buy? i looked at a 99 today and im looking at a 98tomarrow. Whileim on the topic is there anything on here about buy or sell or discussion?

SO all in all the 97-99 is the same exept the intake manifold? so they year shouldnt make a difference when i look for my xj or should it. what would i gain with this i may go strokerone day and i am also doing a RE5.5 and a whole lot more. i looked at a 99 today and im looking at a 98 tomarrow.

so the only difference between the 97-99 is the intake manifold? should that make the difference of what year i get? I looked at a 99 today and im going to look at a 98 tomarrow

An 8.25 rear would be more important to look for than a 99 intake manifold. It's a nice bonus, but won't really effect anything enough to be a deal breaker.

Back