• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harold of the Rocks

Wow, holy cow the prices jumps on those. I was going to link a bunch of ~$310 ones I had bookmarked from when I bought them.

I've always found if you buy a bunch of stuff all at once (while it seem may hurt the bank account more) it is cheaper in the long run. Plus saves on shipping.

I agree though, after handling both, the lock right is worth the extra couple bucks.

Merry Xmas everyone.

Iv got a few update-a-roonies.

First off I got some more stuff.
Gears and instal kit
2011-12-19_23-22-51_224.jpg

I also got a rough stuff diff cover from my GF for xmas.

I cleaned up my knuckles here's one dirty one and one clean one for reference
2011-12-11_20-39-30_955.jpg

heres something I was looking at. In the pics I see of people tieing in the High steer arm to the factory steering arm the tube looks like it goes straight up. but here in my lame ass mockup it is pretty crooked.
2011-12-15_18-16-55_653.jpg

I can still make it work but Im wondering if theres something Im doing wrong? do you guys know?

I also got my Knuckle Plating kit. I was going to do the whole oven thing, but the oven and BBQ were being used for food today so I couldn't.

I just used my fathers soldering torch to preheat and burned it all in. I beveled alot of the edges and made multiple passes because I only have a little Fourny 180 mig.

then the sand I was going to bury it in got wet and froze. So I had to just post heat it a few times, set up all my fathers halogen lamps on it and put a space heater next to it to keep it warm.

2011-12-25_18-48-44_780.jpg

2011-12-25_18-49-48_995.jpg

2011-12-25_18-49-14_308.jpg

I think it came out pretty good, all things considered.

Im going to do the other side tomorrow. I think it will probably come out even better because Ill kind of know what Im doing the second time around.

Oh and I almost forgot I got a new engine yesterday! so just a heads up you should sell your exon stock cause I wont be buying as much oil anymore.

I don't know why these guys had problems with getting there spartans into the diff? I had a spartan in the d30 of my last jeep went together just fine but it was stupid loud and clunky but it was my first locker so i don't know how smooth these things are supposed to be. Build is looking good man:thumbup:

The offset steering holes are done like that on purpose. The top of the knuckle will be tilted in to give an easier and more predictable steering feel. The spindle mounting surface will be perpendicular to the axle housing. If you look at high steer arms they have an offset just like the stock steering arm.

Here's a link for a kit like that connects the high steer arm and the steering arm.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Dana-60-Kingpin-Outer-Knuckle-Bolt-Kit_p_1845.html

The offset steering holes are done like that on purpose. The top of the knuckle will be tilted in to give an easier and more predictable steering feel. The spindle mounting surface will be perpendicular to the axle housing. If you look at high steer arms they have an offset just like the stock steering arm.

Here's a link for a kit like that connects the high steer arm and the steering arm.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Dana-60-Kingpin-Outer-Knuckle-Bolt-Kit_p_1845.html

iv seen those. I knew it was going to be off to the side. I just didnt realize how much. Im going to make the tabs to tie the tube in my self. they should be pretty simple. I think im going to hold off on doing that though untill I get my tires and rims. so I can be sure it wont interfere.

this is a really fun thread to follow. Its all coming along nicely!

Thank buddy. It cant come together fast enough. Im dying to start bashing this thing against some rocks.

I don't know why these guys had problems with getting there spartans into the diff? I had a spartan in the d30 of my last jeep went together just fine but it was stupid loud and clunky but it was my first locker so i don't know how smooth these things are supposed to be. Build is looking good man:thumbup:

Thanks. I have an aussie in my 30 and went in easy. It was pretty quiet. But at close to full steering lock it was audible.

Brought my junk to my mechanic to swap the engine last nite. Cant wait to no longer leak oil!

Also I painted my diff cover and most of my passenger side knuckle.

Other then that no real progress has been made.

Thank u

Bring the old motor to nacfest on a trailer and i'll be glad to install a new seal in it while drunk :gee:

- Ken "building a trailer with the old bed off the mj, bringing more spare parts" Stein

Bring the old motor to nacfest on a trailer and i'll be glad to install a new seal in it while drunk :gee:

- Ken "building a trailer with the old bed off the mj, bringing more spare parts" Stein

It will only last about 2-4 weeks if its driven everyday. Iv done it 3 times. Twice myself and i had my mechanic do it the last time to see if it was just me being dumb.

so heres some dumb pics of stuff.

Old 98 intake
2011-12-28_17-32-44_302.jpg

New 99+ intake
2011-12-28_17-32-35_611.jpg

I thought this looked like a robot bug
2011-12-28_18-23-54_279.jpg

and this is where the magic has been happening
2012-01-08_14-56-21_300.jpg

and I primed
2012-01-08_16-28-23_926.jpg

and painted my axle
2012-01-08_17-07-16_672.jpg

I wanted to seal it up because the spots I had ground clean were starting to get some light surface rust. I figure ill just grind the areas where Ill be welding clean when the time comes.

Nice, now it just needs some orange diff covers and steering and stuff

RUSTOLEUM SAIL BLUE?!!?!?!

Totally sail blue. Very nice selection, sir :thumbup:

Back