• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harlan Center Approved Caterers

David_Bricker

PSR Fire Marshall
NAXJA Member
Harlan Center Approved Catering List

· Alice Gross-606-573-3426

· Sherry Parker-606-573-8100 Ext.2478 or 606-261-1349

· Don’s Super Saver (Kaye Shephard) 606-573-4063

· Linda Hensley-606-573-3847

· Phillips Catering-812-371-5920

· Rosetta Osborne-606-273-2724

· Norma Mink-606-573-2971

· Lou’s Kountry Kitchen (Linda Farmer)-606-573-2060

· Sharmin Shompa-606-621-9191 or 606-573-3254

David Bricker / SYR

I printed this list today and will start working through it this week. More information to come.

Wow - Harlan is in the "olden days." I called all 9 of them. 3 of them don't own answering machines.

When I reached Norma I asked her to e-mail me the menu and rates and she told me she doesn't own a computer!

I reached Linda and asked her the same thing. She asked me for my street address so that she could mail me a proposal!

The ones I did reach sounds like we could be between $12 and $17 a person for a buffet. Those I talked were talking 2 meats, 3 veggies, breads, beverages, and dessert. We'll see what turns up in my mail box and who bothers to return the call.

That's awesome! Old skool!

$15 a plate is affordable, add a registration fee to help cover the cost of renting the place.

I'm not worried about making too much money on it, we should make most the $$ from the event off the raffle and possibly swag.

mac 'my 2 cents' gyvr

$15 a plate is affordable, add a registration fee to help cover the cost of renting the place.

I'm not worried about making too much money on it, we should make most the $$ from the event off the raffle and possibly swag.

mac 'my 2 cents' gyvr

Agreed.

mac 'my 2 cents' gyvr

This. I have no problems paying 15 for a full meal, knowing what I get from Norma, hopefully people will feel the same. You pay the same at a decent restaurant for meal, drink, and tip.

That's because caltards complain about EVERYTHING!

Wheeler could confirm, but I think winterfest is in the 12 to 15 dollar range.

mac 'just budget it' gyvr

Don't forget to include tax and required gratuity in your estimates. I noticed in the& service charge on the packages.

I also think $15 is reasonable for a decent meal. Of course, I'd rather pay $15 for a decent sit-down meal than $10 for burgers and chips.

David Bricker / SYR

Don't forget to include tax and required gratuity in your estimates. I noticed in the& service charge on the packages.

I also think $15 is reasonable for a decent meal. Of course, I'd rather pay $15 for a decent sit-down meal than $10 for burgers and chips.

David Bricker / SYR

Depends on your definition of sit-down. This meal will not be a plated dinner. It will be a meat and 3 buffet, most likely.

That's one way to get a true feel for the locals.

Hmmm, sounds like my town. But since this is farming country, you have to add smell in the above quoted sentence. Dairy farmers have a distinctive aroma they carry with them.

David Bricker / SYR

Only two responses so far.

Norma will do the following for $18.00 per person

Pick 2 to offer: Orange Rosemary Chicken, Baked Lemon Garlic Chicken, Baked Ham, Glazed Pork Tenderloin, Roast Beef.

Served with Chive and sour cream mashed potatoes, Green Beans, Tossed Salad, Rolls, Desert, drinks.

She will do set up and clean up, we need to rent the plates and silver from the Harlan Center.

Lou's Country Kitchen will do the following for $15 per person

2 meats, 4 sides, desert, bread, drinks - she didn't specify the meat options. She will also provide set up and clean up, we get plates and silver from Harlan Center

Linda Hensley will do the following for $15.75 per person with an additional $150 clean up fee

2 meats, 3 sides, bread, desert, beverage. Now here is the deal. She gave me a list of 82 different meat options to choose from, 79 different veggies, and 85 different deserts.

Apparently Norma does a nice job, but her price point is considerably higher than the others. Linda is just overwhelming with the number of options, but she has some good looking stuff on her overly large list. I am expecting one other menu to be e-mailed, but that was last week and I haven't seen it yet, so I suspect this might be all I get.

Thank you for doing the leg work behind this Dirk.

Norma was very good when we used her a couple of years ago, but I agree her pricing is significantly higher than the others so far.

Lou seems to be a good budget friendly option, even though the choices are somewhat limited.

I'd like to know more about the different options that Linda has. The thing I don't like about her offer is that clean up is an additional fee. If we have enough people, it couldn't work out to a minimal charge. But say if we only have 50 people or so eating, that's $3 a head for clean up, added to the $15.75 and now we're higher than Norma's offer.

Is the clean up fee required? Can't our people clean up after themselves? Or is this related to her using the kitchen?

I don't think it's a requirement, but it would be one less thing we'd have to do.

I for one won't want to have to deal with clean up once the evening is all said and done. It would be nice to have somebody else do it for us.

I vote for Norma. She is the only one that we've used before, so we know what to expect. The clean up is included. Its LESS THAN $20 per person. If you are stressing over a $20 dollar bill for a great, all inclusive meal, this trip likely shouldnt be on your calendar for next year. Maybe thats harsh, but it seems silly to haggle over a couple bucks when we know what we get with her.

Last edited:
Back