• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grounding question?

Ok here is the scoop, I redid to cables, positive and neg, redid the braided whatever jeep wants to call it. Things seem better in that aspect, my voltage doesnt dropped dramatically when put the turn signal on. So there is progress, but we still have smoke, which I knew we would, I am certain its gas that is causing the smoke. Now everything test out, but i have not tested to O2 sensor.

My million dollar question is, if all the sensors are fine, the t-stat gets changed, and its still running rich, is the final verdict injectors? Yes, its the two piece ones, (not my decision, previous owners), and they are fairly new, that I know of. Remember this thing sat for a good year. I just dont want to keep pouring money into this thing without enjoying it first. Like I said before everythimg tested good from the site Joe gave me

Any thoughts??

Keep in mind you could fix a rich running condition and still blow smoke for a while. You wouldn't believe how much crap will build up in an exhaust system. My current xj had a bad O2 when I got it and it blew black smoke like a chipped diesel. I fixed that problem but it still took about 3 days before it wouldn't smoke at WOT.

Ok here is the scoop, I redid to cables, positive and neg, redid the braided whatever jeep wants to call it. Things seem better in that aspect, my voltage doesnt dropped dramatically when put the turn signal on. So there is progress, but we still have smoke, which I knew we would, I am certain its gas that is causing the smoke. Now everything test out, but i have not tested to O2 sensor.

My million dollar question is, if all the sensors are fine, the t-stat gets changed, and its still running rich, is the final verdict injectors? Yes, its the two piece ones, (not my decision, previous owners), and they are fairly new, that I know of. Remember this thing sat for a good year. I just dont want to keep pouring money into this thing without enjoying it first. Like I said before everythimg tested good from the site Joe gave me

Any thoughts??

i dont see how an injector can run rich, unless its the wrong injector or a sensor is bad. if the injector was bad, wouldnt it run lean?

What I meant by that maybe the injector is staying open longer than it is supposed to, or its leaking causeing a rich running condition.

Did you measure the air charge sensor. It is commonly overlooked and most people don't even know it exists.

Injectors can get sticky and flow too much fuel. I run a can of BG44K every 10k miles. It is as close to a miracle in a can as you will find for cleaning the complete fuel system and getting rid of carbon in the cylinders.

i dont see how an injector can run rich, unless its the wrong injector or a sensor is bad. if the injector was bad, wouldnt it run lean?

Think "injector dribble", raw fuel into the intake even when the ECU is not firing the injector.

Did you measure the air charge sensor. It is commonly overlooked and most people don't even know it exists.

Injectors can get sticky and flow too much fuel. I run a can of BG44K every 10k miles. It is as close to a miracle in a can as you will find for cleaning the complete fuel system and getting rid of carbon in the cylinders.

I ran seafoam through the fuel tank, and in the vacuum hose from the brake booster. I saw a little diff, and yes it seems to smoke less, as for the air charge is that the sensor most people seem to take out the intake plenum and put near the air filter? If so yes, actually I was surprised to find that thing still within spec, but it does what its suppose to do.

Now here is a question, is it possible for it to smoke while running lean? I dont think it is but, possible. I went through five gallons pretty fast and maybe drove it 15 miles, and a bunch of times starting it up and revving it. So maybe the injectors are sticking open, Ill attempt some injectors at the local junk yard like joe was saying, and are all 19lb ford injectors orange top?

19's - White - E6EE-AB ( Low Impedance )
19's - Orange/Yellow top -
19's - Gold
19's - Yellow/Black

Anyone specific, or will all of those work?

They will all work. I believe all the later models with EV6 connectors are higher pressures. I think only the last few years of the XJ have the EV6, the majority of years are EV1.

I think the orange-tops are more common.

I don't know if the renix 4.o has the vacuum fuel pressure regulator the diafram in those can break and give you the extra fuel you cant find. Check it by pulling off the hose and see if there is any fuel leaking out of the regulator

The fuel pressure reg is just fine, no fuel leaking out. I did get some ford injectors, gonna give that a shot with the new O2 and see how that does.

All right, replaced the O2 sensor and the gasket that was bad, put some new plugs in and some fresh oil. It doesnt smoke, that I can tell of and does not smell like gas coming out of the tail pipe. The O2 sensor had a beautiful crack in it, pretty sure it was causing a lot of problems.

On to the the new problem...

The jeep starts just fine, runs just fine, stops just fine. While it is warming up, coming from a dead stop, I lightly touch the throttle, it dies. If I push it about a quarter of the way downit hesitates but then all is good. TPS tested just fine. It does this all the time when warmed up. I do have another TPS, got it from the JY, but this one only does it from when the jeep is warming up, when it reaches operating temps, it doesnt happen. I am going to reconfirm this tomorrow, cause I have the original TPS on it now after I put the new O2 sensor on, Im gonna see if the JY one does the same thing.

And does the TPS also affect the switching it from 2wd to 4wd?

Any Ideas?

Ok, I have found out the problem, took me forever and a lot of pages of searching. It happen to be the silenoid for the egr, I tested that thing, and all came out fine. But when I disconnected the line going to the egr, it seem to have fixed my stalling problem. Now I just need to find a way to get this to work so I can get emmision tested. I guess its a trip to the junk yard. Hopefully the one I get works for me.

Back