• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's MJ Trailer Build

Also what is the length of the tongue ?? From the tie in to where the lunette is ?

Curt

Curt - sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy... from the front of the sheetmetal on the bed to the tie in for the hitch (lock n roll, not lunette), it is just short of 50"... Probably 55" with the hitch hooked up.

Chris

update -- she's road worthy. I finally got the Lock 'n Roll hitch installed, and moved some of my Dad's stuff yesterday with the trailer. Pulls straight, despite hammered shocks. For those that may duplicate the design -- it needs more tongue weight (and eventually will have it in the form of storage boxes, etc.). REALLY squirrely if there is any rear weight distribution at all. Otherwise, pretty groovy to finally put it to use. I will be getting a coat of paint on all the new steel this week sometime, and will post up some pics of the hitch & stuff.

Mine does the same thing, gets really bad speed wobble if there is any weight in it away from the tongue. If it is completely empty or has the weight up towards the tongue though it pulls great. I'll be adding some storage boxes myself, although this weeks mission is the axle flip. Then maybe some bigger tires.

It's funny I just brought mine home on Fri. it's towable... temp. lighting... just need to start on Phase II of XXV

35jz3ag.jpg

rw2y39.jpg

opa1r5.jpg

See Ya !

Curt

I like the collapsible tongue design and the longer diagonal cuts you did to the frame to smooth out the transition from tongue to frame! :thumbup:

so like I said, the trailer got pressed into service before I have had a chance to hit it with paint and the like, but she performed admirably hauling stuff from my Dad's yesterday, even in blizzard conditions with a 50mph wind... I took a closeup of the hitch too for those that haven't seen a lock n' roll before...

P4040087.jpg

P4040088.jpg

P4040089.jpg

HEY ! at least it's getting used... I just ordered the axle for mine last Fri.
I like the L & R... I hope to use mine soon...

Which axles are you running in the XJ ?

Curt

HEY ! at least it's getting used... I just ordered the axle for mine last Fri.
I like the L & R... I hope to use mine soon...

Which axles are you running in the XJ ?

Curt

Rear is an Isuzu Rodeo D44, front is a Waggy D44 - both geared 4.30, 94 FZJ-80 Landcruiser wheels. :D

I thought those were yota wheels.
What's next for the trailer ?

Curt

not a clue -- I have so much shite going on I don't know what day it is... I have some POR15 and Herculiner sitting in the garage waiting for application, as well as some TJ flares to match the rig... might swap in som 97+ taillights before paint too. eventually planning for a beam axle with electric brakes, but its just not in the cards yet.:cheers:

Did I do any work on the trailer?? not a chance, but I did pick up a little "hat" for it...
wildernest003.jpg

wildernest002.jpg

Happy Family:
wildernest001-1.jpg

Are there any supports or are they needed? Still a pretty slick setup. Now colormatch it with your xj and it will be sweet :D.

Thanks fellas. Still c-clamped, Justin, and thanks again for helping swap it over from the seller. Yeah, it has support legs for under the tent, but the owners' manual (came with it :greensmok) says that the cable system will safely hold up to 1000 lbs, and that the legs are necessary only in high-wind situations. We will probably use them camping anyways, as even a light breeze provides a little bit of sway in there -- eventually the trailer/shell and XJ will be color matched, but that is likely some time off -- once I get planefixer's electric blue bumper on the trailer (with some better corner jackstands), it should really look like multicolored "trailer trash":confused1

Back