• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's MJ Trailer Build

Got the rear jackstands extended and attached tonight:
P5120085.jpg

I extended each one of the stands by about 6-7" using some 1.5" square stock, essentially stop-sign post (thanks for the idea, Yella!) -- these jacks are designed for your standard pop-up on 14" wheels... they needed a little extra length:
P5120086.jpg

and folded up:
P5120088.jpg

Right as I started burning them, I came up with a better mounting plan that will get them a bit higher up out of harms way -- but, it will involve removing the bumper, and on my about-to-go-to-Moab schedule, I just needed to get them operative -- I'll likely rework these a little later this summer so I minimally welded them on for now, just enough to hold (yikes, nice paint runs - just noticed those while posting the pics (n)):
P5120087.jpg

I'll likely get my tool box, water cooler and propane tank mounted just in time, and will post some pics of those after we return from Utah! :peace:

POST back from the dead.

Got any inside pics? Showing the lady about my plans for the trailer. Sales pitch in a way or else it's going to be hauling dirt the rest of it's life. Already have her kind of sold on the whole futon and camper shell deal but yours has got her thinking she likes that setup too.

POST back from the dead.

Got any inside pics? Showing the lady about my plans for the trailer. Sales pitch in a way or else it's going to be hauling dirt the rest of it's life. Already have her kind of sold on the whole futon and camper shell deal but yours has got her thinking she likes that setup too.

I'll dig up some inside pics. We currently have a "carpet kit" in the bed that the kids sleep on, while my wife and I are up in the tent. And, not back from the "dead", just dormant for a while... I need to post some pics of the 3500lb axle swap w/ electric brakes!:sunshine:

I was unconcerned with appearances at the time, I just needed the GD door to open!

dogg -- no inside pics in my folders, this is the closest I've got. I know I'm camping in it on the 14th, so I'll try and remember to take some then.
wildernest001-1.jpg

So I went to the wilderNest website and saw the inside pics. I LIKE THAT alot so the whole tent part is pretty much tucked up in the upper part of the flip over so you still have all the access storage of the below floor area. I'm really liking this idea. Toss in the coolers and extra gear tables and stuf for camping then the dog beds for them to sleep on. Well I guess I need to take care of the basic functional part of the trailer first then work on a topper situation second. I was going to use some 4" x 2" 3/16 and or 1/4 Rec tubing because I have a lot of it here at the shop, but I like that 3" x 4" 11ga RT the other guy posted up on here.

So I went to the wilderNest website and saw the inside pics. I LIKE THAT alot so the whole tent part is pretty much tucked up in the upper part of the flip over so you still have all the access storage of the below floor area. I'm really liking this idea. Toss in the coolers and extra gear tables and stuf for camping then the dog beds for them to sleep on. Well I guess I need to take care of the basic functional part of the trailer first then work on a topper situation second. I was going to use some 4" x 2" 3/16 and or 1/4 Rec tubing because I have a lot of it here at the shop, but I like that 3" x 4" 11ga RT the other guy posted up on here.

yes, the Nest is just a topper when folded up, instead of being a hard "ceiling", it is zippered canvas allowing access to the tent -- not sure what you're referring to with the tubing, since your trailer already has a tongue, no? We have a carpet kit in the MJ bed itself that our kids sleep on when camping, but it takes up so much storage that I am thinking of going to a fitted bed air mattress that I can inflate on site to maximize storage...

Nope no tongue set up. Hypoid had a pull bar he attached to the frame and just pulled it to my place that way then 4 bolts we had it off in a few min and he took it with him. Pretty slick setup for a quick pull deal. He offered to sell it to me but I want to do the storage box, propane tank, and water tank deal up front so I was for sure going to need it longer than what he had to work with at the time. That and looking at post of how guys set them up. I like yours with the lock and roll receiver. I have a lot of direction and options to go with after reading up the last few weeks on these trailer builds. Comes down to how much I can or want to spend and good I want this to look. I really like the open space of being able to stand up and change without being all hunched over in a tent. I love sleeping in tents when I go camping but a big tent for setting up can be a pain not that one of those won’t take a bit of time to setup and tear down. This looks a lot easier to deal with if I’m by myself or with one other person vs a big tent and all the polls and what not. I mean really other than the WilderNest part this can be a pretty low budget camping setup I can work with.

Nope no tongue set up. Hypoid had a pull bar he attached to the frame and just pulled it to my place that way then 4 bolts we had it off in a few min and he took it with him. Pretty slick setup for a quick pull deal. He offered to sell it to me but I want to do the storage box, propane tank, and water tank deal up front so I was for sure going to need it longer than what he had to work with at the time. That and looking at post of how guys set them up. I like yours with the lock and roll receiver. I have a lot of direction and options to go with after reading up the last few weeks on these trailer builds. Comes down to how much I can or want to spend and good I want this to look. I really like the open space of being able to stand up and change without being all hunched over in a tent. I love sleeping in tents when I go camping but a big tent for setting up can be a pain not that one of those won’t take a bit of time to setup and tear down. This looks a lot easier to deal with if I’m by myself or with one other person vs a big tent and all the polls and what not. I mean really other than the WilderNest part this can be a pretty low budget camping setup I can work with.

gotcha -- PM Tom (old_man) about his hitches he was going to fab for his tear drop. Lots cheaper than a lock-n-roll (not that I don't love mine), and similar function...

how much do those lock-n-roll ones cost?
I will PM him he lives pretty close.

how much do those lock-n-roll ones cost?
I will PM him he lives pretty close.

enough that I wouldn't buy another one -- I think mine was something like $150 to my door...:sure:

Back