• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's MJ Trailer Build

Damn Skully! I wanted to watch him go through this one, see how it's done. Not like I have time and money to drive to the Springs.

Lets see the body count so far...........you trashed 1, bought another 1 and rebuilt it by using parts off the old trashed 1 then in the process of selling its lifeless corpse, you trash the new 1 and luckily the old hadn't been picked up yet and you pulled the sale to combined the old and new 1's to make the current Frankenstein's monster, and now trashed it all with in 6 months .......everybody got that? .....unless xj-grin has other bodies of dead np231's lying around buried in his yard that he is not admitting to.............me thinks you should stay away from building transfer cases and let someone else do it this time. :)

..................then in the future for anyone listening be weary if xj-grin offers to help you rebuild your np231 :scared: :cheers: :D

Close -- I trashed one, BOUGHT a supposedly-rebuilt one (i.e. I didn't rebuild it), trashed it, rebuilt it with parts from the old one, trashed it again, now rebuilding (same failed component :flamemad:) using parts kindly donated by Fred... yeah, that sounds alot better (I don't think I'll quit my day job!:rolleyes:).

OK, so the highjack of my trailer thread with tcase issues is OVER (I hope, since I am somewhat lacking in confidence at this point, despit this being the 6th or 7th case I have partially or totally rebuilt :shhh:)!! I got the mode fork and hub swapped out last night, along with a new oil pump for the case, since it appeared to be a lube issue. Interesting that late model tcases have a cast aluminum mode fork, while older cases (pre-90 I think) have a formed steel fork (on right in photo) -- hopefully it will hold up better with more lube and a better (IMHO) fork design. :gee:

PC020084.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, that usually helps with longevity...

Ya'll are sick................:D

Crap, now I'm gonna get quoted like Yella and his "push it in" garbage...

personally, lube and longevity have never really gone together for me.:greensmok Now I have Van Halen's "Black and Blue" stuck in my head...:confused1

Nice weather we're having eh?

:D

Nope................sucks actually when you have two tires at 30% tread, one pretty bald and one almost there. I can not afford all new tires so I ordered two for now, they are a week out. Who da thunk 4wheel parts one of the few who usually carries Trxus M/T's in stock don't have them when I need them?

xj-grin I thought they had drugs for that type of dysfunction?

Hey nice trailer build can't wait to see it carry the crushed cooler and the bumper dumper!

xj-grin I thought they had drugs for that type of dysfunction?

Hey nice trailer build can't wait to see it carry the crushed cooler and the bumper dumper!

I will definately have a crushed cooler mount somewhere in the set up, but I won't have time to build it if I have to keep scrapping metal filled skully out of my POS tcase...:looser:

Just to mess up this thread a little more:

http://www.sylvansport.com/it.html

It looks a little like how I was thinking about adapting my M416 for camping(beds hanging off of the side.) It'd be nice if that top piece holding the tent was available seperately.

Fred

Just to mess up this thread a little more:

http://www.sylvansport.com/it.html

It looks a little like how I was thinking about adapting my M416 for camping(beds hanging off of the side.) It'd be nice if that top piece holding the tent was available seperately.

Fred

Actually, you managed to bring it back on topic, Fred!!!

That is a funnly looking little thing, but I agree on the concept, and have had similar thoughts. I almost got a deal on a Wildernest topper with alot of fiberglass damage a couple months ago, with the idea that I might cut out most of the topper, and just use the folding/hinged top part on my trailer... not sure if anyone can picture that, and I don't do the interweb-drawing-thing.

1f21481303k43m53o88b919cf307bea5c1ba5.jpg

1f113414c3nd3mc3o78b9e5219a86d93d15b1.jpg

didn't happen, so I'll probably use a full Wildernest topper once I find one for the right price.:cheers:

Actually, you managed to bring it back on topic, Fred!!!

......Ah phewy on you! I had gotten it back on track once, or was that a different thread? :D

didn't happen, so I'll probably use a full Wildernest topper once I find one for the right price.:cheers:

Having a pop-up tent/camper thingy where it is FEET above the ground scares me. Specially on top of a truck that high. Usually camping your a little tipsy to begin with (high altitude and a little alcohol or a lot for those lushes out there) and imagine having to go visit the closest wee wee bush and stumbling out of the tent? OUCH!

I think it would be a liability......................... :arrowr:

..............but that is just me. :wierd:

just to keep it from falling off the board, I got the little mother registered -- remarkably easy, and maybe a little scary. There is absolutely NO inspection of home built trailers, just a "built from parts on hand" affidavit, bolt the little metal plate to the front-right of the trailer, and pay a typical registration fee and you are titled and licensed... I can only imagine the horrors rolling around out there!

P1030237.jpg

Well thats good to know, especially as one of these days I'll have a comanche trailer too.

It may or may not be an accident waiting to happen, but you paid your taxes by God!!! :thumbup:

To think of all those years I'd swap around the one trailer plate I have, and worry about getting caught. Not to mention having a valid VIN should make it easier to sell. :party:

Thanks for the update!

So after years of thinking about it, and a year of DD'ing the anticipated donor, and after seeing Prepmech actually execute it really well (see thread in Adventure Forum of NAXJA), I am finally on the road to my MJ off-road trailer. Yellaheep and I agreed on a trade - my barely running MJ for a bed with a tounge for me to work off of. We both agreed that problems and all, my MJ was just in too good of shape to go under the sawzall. While I own a welder and can weld, I wouldn't call myself a "welder", and big thanks to Yellaheep for his talents and equipment in getting the touge good and secure!:peace::thumbup:

So, the tounge is made of 3x4x1/8 steel, with about 10 inches inserted into the MJ "frame, and rosette welded, with a couple of grade 8 bolts with crush sleeves for good measure
P1011795.jpg

Well I followed the link... MAN !!! I have drawings of the same way you tied into the frame... scary... same O.D., but I went 3/16th. Going with the same axle size also... got one or two different twists...
I hope to someday have it set up to sleep 4 adults... be able to stand up... fold up relatively compact... it won't be a super quick set up, but should go up fairly quick... I'll be watching...
This makes about 6 or 7 that I'm aware of...

Curt

Then we stared at it for while an cogitated, and agreed to take a 30 degree "pie slice" out of the inside of both rails. This way we could bend both sides into the center for an a-frame effect, while leaving the outer portion of the tubing uncut. We didn't use any jigs, but did a bit of plumb-bobbing and eye-measuring, and either through luck, skill or both, we appear to have a damn-near perfectly centered tounge... Yella then welded the "pie slices back over the bent and welded peices for added strength
P1011789.jpg

Once the bends were done, they were attached at the front with a nifty sleeve that Yella came up with, allowing the welding to be in multiple planes -- once it is road worthy, it will have a really cool 360 degree movement hitch from a Pennsylvania company called Lock 'n Roll (more on that to follow), and will also be able to accept a pintle lunette in case someone else needs to pull it...
P1011792.jpg

Then a cross-brace was added, which not only strengthened the structure, but made a great place for the center-mounted trailer jack
P1011793.jpg

That's the tounge build in a nutshell
P1011788.jpg

:guitar:

Also what is the length of the tongue ?? From the tie in to where the lunette is ?

Curt

Back