• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS ?'s (last I hope)

imwally

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I am about to take the jump and get me a GPS. I have found one that I think I want to get. My problem is that I have never had one so I am not sure if this will have all I need. I am looking at the Magellan 500LE. So if anyone can give me some pros and cons that would be great.

I don't know anything about that model but I do own a Magellan Meridion GPS (And older model that I don't believe is made anymore) and I have no problems with it. Magellan seems to make good products.

3 of my friends have had magellans. The screen died on one, the other took about 30-40 minutes to catch the cords. and the 3rd shut off randomly whenever it felt like it.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Garmin. The customer support is better, the product avialabilty is better and they seem to lock on quicker.

PS.. I use a Garmin Legend C that is about 2 years old and I love it. I use it at least 3 times a week for geocaching and it's always more accurate than my friends magellan was (before he got fed up with it and threw it at a tree)

I dunno about the above post. I've owned two Magellan's and my dad has owned several. They have always been quality units.

That being said...do yourself a favor and buy a Garmin. Like someone else said customer service sucks at Magellan. Also their interface with their mapping programs sucks...big time.

Garmins programs are so much easier to use and just work better.

I run an older Garmin V and love it. I got it on closeout and the only negative it really had was black and white screen. Most of the time I run it through a laptop so I get a large, color screen. The handheld is not difficult to see/use at all for those times when I do take it along with me when I fish/hike.

I've only had to call customer service twice. I had a problem with the unit working through one of my laptops and the issue was with the chord (needed driver). They got me squared away quickly and it wasn't even their chord. They took the time to find a free download for the driver on the net. The other time I called them was when I wanted new software. Again, they were great and walked me through several versions right on the phone. I can't recall what I was wanting in software at the time, but they even took me to a site that sells non-Garmin product and walked me through that software which was closer to what i was looking for. In the end, I bought the Garmin software b/c they were so willing to help.

Just my experience. Good customer service goes a LONG way with me.

Wally, what do you want the GPS for? That is really the determining factor as far as what features you want.
Theres going to be a huge difference in what GPS is recommended for a dedicated street nav GPS verses a handheld GPS.

Ray H said:
Wally, what do you want the GPS for? That is really the determining factor as far as what features you want.
Theres going to be a huge difference in what GPS is recommended for a dedicated street nav GPS verses a handheld GPS.

I am looking to get something for when I am out on the trails. I think I also want something that I can put in cords and it show me on the unit. Again this is my first one and I am not really sure of all the features. I plan on going to a GPS class at cabelas but they do not have anymore on thier site. Thanks for all the replies.

i have a garmin legend Etrex and it's been very good. has the street maps built in, but i can load topo (which i will). i'd save my money and time on the class, you can use it with the manual and teach yourself all you need to know. i'm a well tender and have to learn another guys wells. got a pretty good memory, but so much easier to ride with him, landmark all his wells (and name them) so i can run right back to them when i need to.

imwally said:
I am looking to get something for when I am out on the trails. I think I also want something that I can put in cords and it show me on the unit. Again this is my first one and I am not really sure of all the features. I plan on going to a GPS class at cabelas but they do not have anymore on thier site. Thanks for all the replies.

then you dont really want what most of the vehicle mounted offer. some of the big screen vehicle mounted GPSrs dont have the ability to enter coodinates and the ones that do, dont make it easy. They also dont offer point to point straight line nav or routing. There are only a handful of units that will allow you to nav point to point using coordinates and street by street. Im not up on Magellan or Lowrance but I think the Garmin Quest will allow all of that. Its their in between unit. Its between a handheld and a vehicle mount. Im sure the other brands offer something similar.
If you arent interested in street navigation, there are many, many handhelds to choose from. You will want a mapping unit that you can download maps onto. You can step up to color screen for more $$$. The drawback of color is lower battery life. If you hike, hunt, fish or geocache with it, battery life will become an issue, its not such an issue if the unit stays in your vehicle most of the time.
Hold and play with a few different units before you buy. They all seem to function a little different, especially between brands. You will find that while several of them may offer the same features, one or two of them will stand out to you because the software or the functions or screens will seem more natural for you to use or you will just like the way it feels.

i'll suggest something in the garmin gps60 series... the newest model has a memory slot but the older ones still have plenty of memory for topo or city maps which are highly recommended as most units have a VERY basic base map...

a color screen is a good choice; most GPSrs are moving in that direction...

might want to think about auto-routing for city or highway driving although it's not the best route sometimes which may depend on the mapset you have installed...

definitely look at the memory the unit has...

garmin's do seem to have a better software interface when i compare mine to my buddy's magellan...

offroute.com has a handy tool to compare all the models of each brand if i'm not mistaken... search several sites to find the best price is my last bit of advice unless you've found something local...

good luck!

Never had a problem with my Garmin handheld or my boat-mounted Lowrance. Still have market support and up to date maps available after seven years...

imwally said:
In a month or so we will be doing our second of three GPS clinics.

Keep an eye out in the Intermountain chapter forum.

Back