• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPNF SE1 Hypothermia Run: 2/5 - 2/6

Im still game, it should be a cool camping trip if nothing else.

Im no expert on igloo building, but It seems to me that the snow you described would be ideal for it.

we need to get up around 4500 or so... lets head over towards takhlakh lake or trout lake... or even fossil lake. just a thought.

gotta be careful though, most of the roads towards trout lake are closed to wheeled vehicles right now, and maintained for snowmobiling.

no gates, they just post signs. the 24 road is completely closed, as is 81? rd.

probably not an issue for this trip, as we would have to be covering some serious miles to get into that country the back way. But I thought Id point it out that through TL isnt an option in a jeep.

no gates, they just post signs. the 24 road is completely closed, as is 81? rd.

probably not an issue for this trip, as we would have to be covering some serious miles to get into that country the back way. But I thought Id point it out that through TL isnt an option in a jeep.
does TL mean trout lake cause thats the 88 and the 81 is gated off at the top..

I talked to the sherrif yeasterday at cougar he said that there are ways to get to TakhlakH lake that are not designated snowmobile trails but he said that area is closed due to the protection of the elk so the forest service would not like us in there either but I can check with them tomorrow at there head quarters and let you guys know what they say.

At this point I'm not going to change the location. I pre-ran the area yesterday, so I got a good idea on conditions, and I think they will work. I wouldn't mind checking out a different area for the next one though.

Well then who has got some cow's cause we need to start sacraficing them!

i got an idea instead of igloo's maybe we can make snow cones they sell syrup at costco and most gas stations have paper funnel's they would make perfect snow cones lol

CONDITION UPDATE:

I'm not going to lie, the conditions aren't the greatest, In fact they are quite lousy.

At the proposed camping location there's maybe two feet of snow at most on the ground, with patches of gravel exposed in places. Definitely not igloo building conditions.

At the top of the 53rd (3500') there was a decent amount of snow, and a large area we could use to camp. It would be more exposed to the elements, but there would be more snow under us.

The snow is extremely wet and heavy (think shaved ice). It seemed to pack okay. As always low tire pressure and slow speed was the key. We were able to break trail over the 53 in a decent amount of time. This could be the route we take, and since tracks have been laid it should make it a bit easier for a big group. The challenge will be navigating the snow drifts, and keeping everyone on the road. I found myself creeping toward the edge multiple times.

If we choose to stick to the plan and go ahead with this here's what we can do. W can meet in the morning, evaluate the groups experience/capability and decide on a route. We should be able to make it to a suitable camp location fairly easy. From camp, there's plenty more roads to explore and play around on during the day/night.

I'm willing to give this a shot if others are. The snow is about as bad as it can get, but I still think it would be fun to head up and camp.

If you don't think this is the run for you, stay tuned for another once we do get some snow (~March). Don't feel like this is the only run of the year.

Let me know what you guys think, and check out my report from today in the trip report section.

So who's still in for this? These are the people I have confirmed.

-TORX
-Ruger81
-Icemans
-moneypit_k5
-aaron barnes
-streetpirate

Should be a good time, I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I'm still game. i have access to pallets if someone else wants to haul them up there. I;ll even help bust them up

im in! its looking like we are gonna have some fresh snow!! also i thing paininthea$$89 is down as well he just got some new meats! i will make sure though...

I have some fire wood that I'm bringing. Its not "fire wood" but it has no nails or foreign objects in it. I am pretty sure fivendime is still going but I will check also. I can't wait I even got someone to watch the kidsso the wife is going ride shot gun. I hope its not a guys only run atleast I havet seen that posted anywhere.

I still would love to come, might be taking my front axle off for the 4th f$cking time to get it fixed. If the axle guys "2 different companys I have paid now" would listen and do what I told them to the problem would have been fixed a month ago. If I only had their tools. About ready to burn it to the ground... Still trying to make it but proably not :( Have a great time guys.

I am tentative I am trying to find a buddy to ride shotgun. Since there isn't a whole lot of snow probably bring my mj.

I have some fire wood that I'm bringing. Its not "fire wood" but it has no nails or foreign objects in it. I am pretty sure fivendime is still going but I will check also. I can't wait I even got someone to watch the kidsso the wife is going ride shot gun. I hope its not a guys only run atleast I havet seen that posted anywhere.

my wife is going as well.

Back