• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Government gone crazy

I'm thinking of getting some investors together to start buying ( via I.D.) properties falling under Prop. 13. I figure throwing a coat of paint and a new roof on it, then selling I would be increasing the property tax roles while making a hefty profit.

Times are getting closer to need that right to bear arms for what the founding fathers had in mind.

TIM

Times are getting closer to need that right to bear arms for what the founding fathers had in mind.

X2
At what point do the PEOPLE say enough of this government that no longer fears us. Didn't they have this problem in the 1700's?
"Anyone who trades freedom for security, deserves neither"

I'd find some way to keep my property. If the gov't won't help then screw em. I agree with Bent...2nd Amendment. ;)

Ironmen77 said:
"Anyone who trades freedom for security, deserves neither"
I'm not seeing where this applies to the situation at hand...The people affected here ahve no security because of their local government and the US Supreme Court...

BlackSport96 said:
I'm not seeing where this applies to the situation at hand...The people affected here ahve no security because of their local government and the US Supreme Court...

It started long before this. Government takes your freedom little by little, giving you security. You give them your freedom to choose, they give you the security of taking care of it for you. That is a lost freedom lost.
Once you give up enough freedom they will impose their will and take what they want and not give the security in return.

Ironmen77 said:
Once you give up enough freedom they will impose their will and take what they want and not give the security in return.

"If the government can take a man's money without his consent, there is no limit to the additional tyranny it may practise upon him; for, with his money, it can hire soldiers to stand over him, keep him in subjection, plunder him at discretion, and kill him if he resists." - Lysander Spooner, 1852

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. [H.L. Mencken]

The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-by to the Bill of Rights. [H.L. Mencken]

"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods."[H. L. Mencken

I would take a road trip to stay at the Lost Liberty Hotel. The state of the union is a damned pity. Government needs a major overhaul. Maybe TLC can make a show about that.

Lawn Cher' said:
I would take a road trip to stay at the Lost Liberty Hotel. The state of the union is a damned pity. Government needs a major overhaul. Maybe TLC can make a show about that.
"Extremists' Makeover" ??

"A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have"
- Thomas Jefferson

many others have said much the same thing over the years, too bad the sheeple in this country haven't figured it out yet...if they ever do....

Bent, you live in SoCal...don't you all already cary guns there?
It's not just I.D., or taxation...I just got a $4000 bill from the IRS. They have decided how they want to recalculate my taxes from 2003 and billed me penalties all the way to back then.
Americans just don't care anymore what the govt is doing. Too many have gone brain dead. And the media is controlled by the govt. We hear what they want us to hear.
Enough of my pseudo paranoia.

from a book I read recently;

The genius of the American system is not freedom; the genius of the American system is checks and balances. Nobody gets all the power. Everybody is watching everybody else. It is as if the founding fathers knew, intrinsically, that the soul of man, unwatched, is perverse.

unfortunately, I think the checks and balances are getting out of check and balance.

Spot on!

For the astute observer, it will be generally noted that the worst offenders are appointed (or just plain "hired") into the executive branch, and hold that they are essentially accountable to no-one.

Try getting a straight answer on anything out of ATF (now ATFE - always "F-Troop") on a technical matter relating to anything Title II or Class 3, and you'll never get there. Barrels of America went thru this when designing their "Concealer" series barrels - and paintballers note that you can't get them anymore. (I've got two - one for the VM-68 and one for the Trracer & clones. No, they're not for sale!) Gawd help you if you've got an AR-15 that "bumps" easily...

How about the IRS? They write the regulations they're meant to enforce, and then enforce them "at will." Can't get straight answers out of them, either - and as soon as I'm in a position to do something about it, here's what I've got in mind:
Careful review of 26CFR - The Internal Revenue Code - has shown that the IRS collectional jurisdiction only exists in cases where monies are made on Federal property (on military bases, Washington DC, Indian Reservations,) where United States citizens are making money overseas, and resident aliens making money within United States borders (mainland, Alaska/Hawai'i, territories and possessions.) All others are subject to state income taxes only (and, technically, money made on Federal property may not be legally taxed by states, since they do not hold jurisdiction, ownership, or maintenance of said property.) Therefore, for instance, the pay of a DoD civilian working "on post" somewhere is subject to Federal taxation, but not to state taxation. His wife, who does not work on post (but we shall assume they are both citizens for our purposes,) is subject to state taxation - but not Federal.

Legally.

Talk about a campaign of disinformation!

Here's another goody - the Federal Income Tax was only in existence during wartime up until about WWII - when it finally became "permanent" (I say that since the Amendment allowing for taxation of income was never formally ratified.) In a very technical sense, no-one is subject to legal Fedreal income taxation - individuals or companies.

So why do we keep paying?

For those of you interested in alternatives, look up "Larkin Rose." I haven't read his stuff in a while, but that's what prompted me to do my own research.

Has the government been out of control long? Certainly - and the worst offender is the IRS (from which the unholy BATF/BATFE/F-Troop was spawned.) Somehow, they've convinced everyone that what they do is right - and I just don't get it.

But don't get me started. You all probably don't have the time, I've got a couple designs to finish, and I've got some paperwork to get done for school. This is probably something better discussed in person over a little booze anyhow (if I don't drink when I talk about stuff like this, I turn into a real a***ole!)

5-90

They should have taken what was offered. and moved on.

my parents lived in a home for 40 years. would have made a bundle to sell.

couldn't get them to move until my Dad passed away.

Then I got my mom into a new Condo. She loved it.

new kitchen, beatiful bathrooms, walk in closets.

she regretted my Dad not able to share it with her.

it is just a freakin house. big deal.

...BOB

5-90 said:
Talk about a campaign of disinformation!

Here's another goody - the Federal Income Tax was only in existence during wartime up until about WWII - when it finally became "permanent" (I say that since the Amendment allowing for taxation of income was never formally ratified.) In a very technical sense, no-one is subject to legal Fedreal income taxation - individuals or companies.

Speaking only for myself ... because I don't wish to become Irwin Schiff's cellmate in the federal penitentiary.

5-90 said:

I wish to buy you a beer.

BOB said:
They should have taken what was offered. and moved on.

my parents lived in a home for 40 years. would have made a bundle to sell.

couldn't get them to move until my Dad passed away.

Then I got my mom into a new Condo. She loved it.

new kitchen, beatiful bathrooms, walk in closets.

she regretted my Dad not able to share it with her.

it is just a freakin house. big deal.

...BOB

Perhaps, but you might want to look closer at the whole event here. It wasn't just a freakin' house, it was a whole neighborhood, and it was not a slum either. It was just a working class neighborhood in a city that decided it would be a good idea to increase the tax base by taking the land, NOT for municipal purposes, but to sell it to other private developers. Many people believed, and still believe, that this is a corruption of the idea of eminent domain, and that the fight was worthwhile on a matter of principle.

One of the reasons the people were so tenacious in their battle was that this was a relatively low valued part of town. The fair market value of the property in 2000 would probably not have bought them any decent property in the same town even then. When the city took their property, they weren't just saying "move aside," they were saying "get out of town."

Exactly - the fact of eminent domain is to allow a mechanism for the government to "acquire" land when absolutely necessary and for the common good, and to do so while fairly compensating the landowner.

Property rights are unanimously hailed as the basis of all freedoms in America - at least, at the time of drafting the Constitution (nevermind that now - if you want to see how strong your property rights are, try not paying property taxes for a couple years.)

In this case, we have a misapplication of eminent domain. The mechanism is in place to allow private property to be put into public use for the public good. Eminent domain, in no way, is meant to be used to transfer private property from one individual to another.

If the developer wanted to get the land, he should have been off and pressing flesh himself to buy the land - and if he couldn't get it there, he can go somewhere else.

It's not the fact of it being a house, it has to do with the basic right to own property in the United States - whether that property is improved or not, developed or not. Once you buy property, it is yours to do with as you wish - and, theoretically, no-one should be able to tell you what to do with it, or take it away from you without a proper struggle. It's not losing the house that's the problem - it's the fact of property being taken away and handed to someone else - and without a tangible benefit for the owners.

ECKSJAY - thanks, but I'm a rum drinker. I won't turn down free drinks, but I never did pick up a taste for beer... I keep Captain Morgan on permanent staff instead...

And Eagle, you hit it right on the head. In order to make something like that stick, we'd have to co-ordinate a beginning with enough people to make the rest of the country take notice, and be too many for the IRS to go after easily. They're out of control, and it's going to take a massive effort to bring them to heel again...

5-90

Back