• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goodyear MTR's vs. Super Swamper TSL BiasPly

moneybags

NAXJA Forum User
:wave: Hello all long time no see/read

I have recently aquired a set of 33x12.5 mtr's on some mickey thompson wheels. They were on a TJ I just purchased, I am removing them and putting on a set of 31 bfg's w/ stock tj wheels, lower the tj 2 inches so it can be a daily driver for my wife. Now I have a crawlilng/woods TJ, that I run 33x12.5 tsl super swampers on this is only a trail jeep that gets driven to the Tellico and other close by wheeling spots.

So the question remains has anyone ran both of these two tires on the same vehicle? What were the pro's and cons. I realize the mtr's are more road worthy, but the swampers are more mud friendly(and Tellico is preferred wheeling spot). So just looking for thoughts and ideas here, and may have some tires for sale in a few months......

Thanks
Stephen(aka moneybags)

Why are you asking us? You are in the unique position of having both kinds of tires that you can swap out at will. Why don't you try them both and tell us your findings?

RR3

Here's an idea, send me a set and I'll try them out for a while, then send me the other set and I'll try those for awhile. Then I'll give you my opinion and you can buy a new set .

I have run both on my xj and i like the mtr's better. I felt the mtr's are better in the rocks and i was suprised how good they are in the mud, They clean off very good. If you were going to run mud only i would go with the tsl's any thing else i would run the mtr's.

MGT-Thanks that is just the info I was looking for, someone w/ first hand experience. I am going to put the mtr's on , and give them a good working soon. I think school bus will be just the place to test them out.

Hunter-sure has been a while, Im still around just dont visit the boards as often. Let me know if you guys ever get down this way. What are you running these days?

Rockcrawlinxj-sure thing just sit there and hold your breath both sets of tires will be on there way........

Ralph-Why am I aksing you guys?, probably because I knew someone like MGT, has ran both tires and could tell me his findings before I swap them out. Thank you for reminding me why I dont visit these boards very often

moneybags said:
Ralph-Why am I aksing you guys?, probably because I knew someone like MGT, has ran both tires and could tell me his findings before I swap them out. Thank you for reminding me why I dont visit these boards very often

Dude, Don't get your panties in a wad. I find that it is better to get your own first hand knowledge than depend on what you may read on the internet. You may find that in the conditions in which you drive the results are different. For instance, people around here don't care for the MT/R's because they don't clean well enough for the type of mud we have.

Most often we don't have the luxury of having two sets of tires with which to experiment. If I were in your shoes, I would do a back-to-back assessment of both tires and make up my mind on which tire was better for myself based on that assessment, not on what I read on the internet.

I am often surprised by the dependence on the internet for information when we have all we need outside in the garage. Experiment, explore and discover for yourself. You will learn more and be richer for the experience.

RR3

Ralph said:
Dude, Don't get your panties in a wad. I find that it is better to get your own first hand knowledge than depend on what you may read on the internet. You may find that in the conditions in which you drive the results are different. For instance, people around here don't care for the MT/R's because they don't clean well enough for the type of mud we have.

Most often we don't have the luxury of having two sets of tires with which to experiment. If I were in your shoes, I would do a back-to-back assessment of both tires and make up my mind on which tire was better for myself based on that assessment, not on what I read on the internet.

I am often surprised by the dependence on the internet for information when we have all we need outside in the garage. Experiment, explore and discover for yourself. You will learn more and be richer for the experience.

RR3

Sorry dont wear panties, but If I did, it would be thongs so they wouldn't get wadded up :kissyou:

Thank you for your comments, and finally answering the initial question. I agree that everyone's situation is different. I didn't ask for you to make my decision on which tire I should run, I was just looking for other people's thoughts.

And as far as the dependent internet jeeper, your barking up the wrong tree, I havn't posted here in probably 1.5-2 yrs.

Dont respond, and add gas to the flame............ instead thank the webmasters for the ignore list

moneybags said:
Sorry dont wear panties, but If I did, it would be thongs so they wouldn't get wadded up :kissyou:

Thank you for your comments, and finally answering the initial question. I agree that everyone's situation is different. I didn't ask for you to make my decision on which tire I should run, I was just looking for other people's thoughts.

And as far as the dependent internet jeeper, your barking up the wrong tree, I havn't posted here in probably 1.5-2 yrs.

Dont respond, and add gas to the flame............ instead thank the webmasters for the ignore list
I certainly am not and was not trying to flame anyone, I was just trying to explain my reason for posting as I did. That is part of the problem with posting on the internet. You often cannot get the point across as you intend. I obviously failed in my attempt. Hopefully, you will decide to post here more often in the future.

RR3

JnJ- sure has been a while, just thought I would drop in and see what was up. You and your family doing well I hope. Noticed that you are now retired, good for you, but poor audrey.....

BTW-red is looking good, checked out your site and all the mods to red, I think its ready for another Tellico Trek now.....

Later

Stephen

moneybags said:
JnJ- sure has been a while, just thought I would drop in and see what was up. You and your family doing well I hope. Noticed that you are now retired, good for you, but poor audrey.....

BTW-red is looking good, checked out your site and all the mods to red, I think its ready for another Tellico Trek now.....

Later

Stephen

Hehe, being retired from the Military is not the same as being really retired. :) I still have to work for a living. I put in more hours now then when I was in, 'cept now I dont worry about deployments, field duty, CQ, and other stuff like that.
Red is getting torn down. The body is shot so I'm taking the drivetrain and axles and putting them in/under my 2wd MJ.

Back