• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good ideas and Bad ideas

IXNAYXJ said:
Bad Ideas:

Running un-cut fenders

Wheeling without rock rails

Using 6" of lift to clear 32's

Stock bumpers with no recovery points

Posting assumptive and incorrect opinions as your first introductions to a new forum

Oh, wait, I just described the OP.... Welcome to NAXJA :wave:

-----Matt-----

So far this is the only comment I agree with 100%!
2extreme & Suspa got 99%

Obviuosly like he said in the beginning, it is a matter of personal opinion. What works for some may not work for others.

I do have to admit this is a very interesting & some what entertaining thread though. :laugh3:

Last edited:
Does that mean I get an A :yelclap:

swbooking said:
and if you think a rancho 9000s are the shit of shocks as you seem to put it, you need to research shocks a bit.
They are some pretty decent cheap shocks that's for sure.

IXNAYXJ said:
Bad Ideas:

Running un-cut fenders

Wheeling without rock rails

Using 6" of lift to clear 32's

Stock bumpers with no recovery points

Posting assumptive and incorrect opinions as your first introductions to a new forum

Oh, wait, I just described the OP.... Welcome to NAXJA :wave:

-----Matt-----

I haven't needed to cut fenders as of yet, at full stuff I grind my stock bumpers too, but those are coming off as soon as my non-stock bumpers get here.

Here's what's a bad idea: Doing any possible thing just to 'clear' a larger tire.

Sliders are definitely a good idea! Boatsides are even better! Really changes how you wheel; being able to pivot around a tree on your slider, for instance. Same with lockers - you don't look at lines the same way after getting them.

Just because I haven't posted on THIS forum much doesn't mean I haven't posted on ANY forum, nor am I NEW. My opinions are not assumptive and are correct in regards to my experiences. I'm glad and fairly impressed that this thread lasted this long without you guys turning to name calling and judgement based on post count (more posts equals more knowledge it seems on some boards)

Maybe i'll try one of these drop bracket set ups based on your guys input - probably not though. Maybe i'll suggest it to someone. For me the tiny savings of running longer control/radius arms and drop brackets doesn't warrant going away from a tried and true method of extending your control arms and creating a much longer triangle.

Honestly a long arm is the best (in my opinion) for the money, the >BEST< would be coilovers and a true triangulated 4 link..but as we all know, that's definitely not cheap.

*edit; for interests sake, my buddies shop just built a 4 link for a guy that he can swap one of the upper links out and use as a trackbar w/ a 3 link (for ride quality on the road) - pretty neat idea that I never would have thought of.

Last edited:
Kinslayer said:
Here's what's a bad idea: Doing any possible thing just to 'clear' a larger tire.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. Clearing larger tires with minimum lift is a good idea to keep your COG down, and still increase your ground clearance using larger tires(assuming you are geared for large tires).

Oh...I'd also like to add some important tech to this thread.....

I like bacon.

RRT said:
Yes!! But still trailing Matt's A+ ;)

Uhhhhhhhh.... maybe you should go kiss Matt's back side on the Crawl website.... :moon:

Good:
Stouts, Porters, Ales :patriot:
Metal

Bad:
cheap lagers.
mellow

Im diggin this heated discussion thread. But I must say that any lift block just seems like a crap idea. I was there when the canadian guy snapped his, and dont plan on ever lifting via blocks.

And about the SYE topic, I agree with Alex. They arent totally needed until your vehicle reaches a certain lift height, and the canadians rig was running a much smaller setup than any of the other rigs present.

But back to the tech. Dont let me get in the way of your pork product discussion.

-Lyle

Last edited:
I'm new, and I'm more of a sausage pattie kind of guy.

Hey you guys running the drop brackets, are you buying the kit with springs and all or you just adding drop brackets to your existing lift? I haven't lifted my xj yet and I'm wanting to start with some 33's and fender trimming and haven't decided what lift to get me there.

snyder said:
I'm new, and I'm more of a sausage pattie kind of guy.

Hey you guys running the drop brackets, are you buying the kit with springs and all or you just adding drop brackets to your existing lift? I haven't lifted my xj yet and I'm wanting to start with some 33's and fender trimming and haven't decided what lift to get me there.

In short, the most bang for your buck is going to be the RE 5.5" system. It comes with everything you need to lift your XJ, fit 33s, and be very capable. Dont forget you will need an SYE and a CV Drive shaft for that much lift as well.

RE 6200

There are other great companies as well, search around youll find lots of opinions etc...

BTW, bacon > sausage

swbooking said:
BTW, bacon > sausage

Tacos > bacon :spin1:

For around here, running 5.5 inches of lift and 33's is a little extreme, but load your jeep up fully with bumpers and armor and youll probably net a little less with 5.5 inch coils.

-Alex

yeah, that kit will settle i know people will add weight to it, thats why i always suggest that kit...

and

Wahoo's Fish Taco > Your Tacos :D

Ba-Riedo said:
Tacos > bacon :spin1:

For around here, running 5.5 inches of lift and 33's is a little extreme, but load your jeep up fully with bumpers and armor and you'll probably net a little less with 5.5 inch coils.

-Alex

Dang Alex, I'm impressed. Even A guy like you can absorb and eventually spew out good tech every once in a while. :)

You've come a long ways in a year, except for the taco thing, unless they are filled with bacon.

Back