• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good ideas and Bad ideas

Ba-Riedo said:
What on earth does not having a SYE have to do with anything? :twak:

-Alex

It's an indication of his lack of preparedness.

FYI, THIS is a 2 inch block, mine. It's on a 6 inch long perch.

2inblock.jpg

mojojojo said:
they were 2" for the record. and yes live n learn.... i think he did.

i'll shut up now. you obviously know yur sheeeet. :wierd:

Weird, those look like 4s.. must be perspective. by the way, I don't wish bad luck on anyone, hope the day worked out well for y'all. A buddy of mine one day decided it would be a good idea to do a little muddy crossing at about 40kph and nailed a stump - broke his d30 axle tube right in half on the long side.. that was a long couple days after that.. Ever change a front end in the rain/mud at night on the trail? y'don't want to.

Here's another bad idea that will stur up controversy i'm sure!

Rancho 5000 shocks! SUCK.

Procomp ES3000 shocks! Kick ass!

Es3000, also known as "the only thing good Pro Comp ever made"

Oh..SHOCK BOOTS - SUCK.
boot.jpg

Last edited:
Lack of preparedness? Oh really, so not having a SYE means you not prepared? Maybe not prepared to dump $400 into your jeep on something that is not totally necessary until a certain amount of lift or you want a smoother and quieter ride.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Lack of preparedness? Oh really, so not having a SYE means you not prepared? Maybe not prepared to dump $400 into your jeep on something that is not totally necessary until a certain amount of lift or you want a smoother and quieter ride.

-Alex

Ok maybe I was being a little harsh. Jeeze. However in that picture I can just imagine the fluid running out of his t-case..

You'd be lucky if it only cost ya 400 bucks.. that's only for the SYE itself.. don't forget about the driveshaft and god forbid you can't install it yourself..

DD So Cal Good:
High Flow Hesco
Copper Radiator
Manual Lockers
ARB springs
SYE

DD Bad:
True Trac Front/Rear
Transfer case drop

Kinslayer said:
I'm sure with enough metal and fabrication you can make anything work.. Yeah i've seen them and they look rediculous. Have you seen or wheeled an xj with a long arm?

Maybe you should look at my sig before you talk out of your ass ;)

Kinslayer said:
Try doing this with a shortarm: (that's a 36 inch TSL, and those are 7.5inch RE coils falling out there..)

nicksxj.jpg

Not saying that shortarms are shit but when you get over 6 inches don't even bother with them..and adding a drop bracket is just prolonging the pain. a grand for a longarm kit is cheap compared to 400 for control arms and then however much more for these brackets, I don't know the price but if it's from Rubicon Express it sure as shit ain't cheap!

So your telling me that its better to spend a grand for a long arm upgrade kit, as in only the arms and the belly pan which they attach to (as most kits are sold) then to buy a full 5.5" kit from RE which include the drop brackets and everything you need to lift your cherokee and have a great ride and preformance for $1500 (Which all members can get for less through our vendors)? I think not in most cases...

You didnt even look up the brackets? You just assumed they were expensive cause they were from RE? They are $269 form RE (Which again all members can get for less through our vendors)

Do you even understand how they work?

Well most people on here would tell you that anything over 6 inches is too big anyways, you have a stupidly high center of gravity like that.

You do know there is a certain amount of useable flex right?

Wanna see capeable?

short arms and drop brackets...

IMG_9153.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg

nuff said...

So short arms are crap? I guess the biggest reason is cause you got long arms?
I decided that a DB short arm with a completely rebuilt 4.7, a np435/205, a rear D44 and only 4 inches of lift still fitting 35's easy will never work then?

I knew I should have spent the money on LA kit and still had a crap drivetrain!

I feel that fender trimming with a grinder is shody, mostly cause I have a plasma.

swbooking said:
Maybe you should look at my sig before you talk out of your ass ;)

So your telling me that its better to spend a grand for a long arm upgrade kit, as in only the arms and the belly pan which they attach to (as most kits are sold) then to buy a full 5.5" kit from RE which include the drop brackets and everything you need to lift your cherokee and have a great ride and preformance for $1500 (Which all members can get for less through our vendors)? I think not in most cases...

You didnt even look up the brackets? You just assumed they were expensive cause they were from RE? They are $269 form RE (Which again all members can get for less through our vendors)

Do you even understand how they work?

Well most people on here would tell you that anything over 6 inches is too big anyways, you have a stupidly high center of gravity like that.

You do know there is a certain amount of useable flex right?

Wanna see capeable?

short arms and drop brackets...

nuff said...

Yeah, I am telling you that it's better to spend a grand on a long arm kit, then 250 bucks on some coils, maybe 300 on leafs and then maybe another 250 bucks on some good shocks than spend 1500 bucks on a kit that isn't as good. maybe 2k for a long arm lift and 1500 for a lesser short arm..500 bucks. Big deal.

Yes, I did assume they were expensive because they were from RE..and Yes, 269 dollars IS expensive for a bracket.

Yes, I understand how they work. They lower the arm, flattening the perspective of the arm allowing for less bind on up travel and more range on down travel.

Yeah, I know there's a certain usable amount of flex.

kraq.jpg

in2fords said:
So short arms are crap? I guess the biggest reason is cause you got long arms?
I decided that a DB short arm with a completely rebuilt 4.7, a np435/205, a rear D44 and only 4 inches of lift still fitting 35's easy will never work then?

I knew I should have spent the money on LA kit and still had a crap drivetrain!

I feel that fender trimming with a grinder is shody, mostly cause I have a plasma.

Actually no I have short arms in my heep... but I can feel the limitations of them.

Oh the money you spent on the rest of your stuff is much more than the extra oh maybe 500 bucks for a long arm kit.. and hell if you're going that far with your own mods what's stopping you from building one yourself?

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on building a 4.7, especially after driving the new 4L..oh and i'd trim with a die grinder, plasma cutters leave a HELL of a mess.

Personally I like not having shit hanging down on my undercarrage - I'd love to have a nice smooth bellypan that I can slide over shit with.. The whole world isn't as sticky perfect condition-y as moab y'know.

Last edited:
haha your long arm kit needs more then that...

Steering needs to be addressed (OTK most likely since your talking of 6"+) add around $300
Trac bar? add another $250 for a track bar kit.
Brake lines? add another $150 for extended lines
Rear shackes? Add another $75
Sway bar disconnects? Add another $200
Bumpstops? Add another $50

so really add $1025 to this:

Kinslayer said:
Yeah, I am telling you that it's better to spend a grand on a long arm kit, then 250 bucks on some coils, maybe 300 on leafs and then maybe another 250 bucks on some good shocks than spend 1500 bucks on a kit that isn't as good. maybe 2k for a long arm lift and 1500 for a lesser short arm..500 bucks. Big deal.

and your looking at $2775...

Now subtract the cost of the RE 5.5" kit with drop brackets that comes with all of the above and doesnt avidly need the OTK steering...

$2775 - $1500 = $1275. and that right there is a BIG DEAL.

Why do you think Complete long arm kits from companies such as TnT cost $2500?

Last edited:
Kinslayer said:
Really? well they aren't rancho adjustable 9000's but compared to a 5000 they are good as gold in my books.
and if you think a rancho 9000s are the shit of shocks as you seem to put it, you need to research shocks a bit.

This is not a technical forum (luckily there is no technical info in the tread so maybe this is ok here).

But since we are all adding completely useless information here is what I have to add.
1. I have short arms and am very happy with them.
2. My tow rig has huge lift blocks in the back and I am really happy with them also.
3. None of my lifted vehicles run either Rancho or Pro Comp shocks.

Michael

Bad idea
1. wheelin alone
2. any blocks
3. AT's in the mud
4. no tools

this list could go on and on. Oh ya my short arms kicked ass last weekend

Back