• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good gas tank skid for Rigid rear bumper?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

I finally got off my lazy butt and went over to my friend's shop the other day and got most of the hardware out for my rear bumper and gas tank skid, chased threads, etc.

Today I'm cleaning and painting all the pieces parts for the Rigid RbA rear bumper that I bought last year and will be installing as soon as this is all done. Just have to cut off two bolt heads that are holding up the pass. side of the gas tank skid, couldn't get those off even with air tools, then clean up and paint the exhaust hanger, gas tank skid, and the parts of the body that will get stuff bolted to them and then I can start installing the awesomeness.

Question: my original gas tank skid looks... kinda wimpy in comparison to the new bumper. And seeing as it has to come down anyway to get this done, rather than painting it, putting it back up, and saying "wow, this looks wimpy" after I'm all done, then redo this exercise in a year... are there any gas tank skids known to work with the Rigid rear bumpers? Terry said DPG works; unfortunately, they've been out of stock since before I ordered my rear bumper, so apparently that's not an option. Any others out there?

Thanks!

PureJeep Skid. I have one - very heavy duty, nice welds, 3/16" I believe. Bought from Northridge - free shipping & a great price compared to other brands.

Rigid gas tank interference was Re: good gas tank skid for Rigid rear bumper?

eh, I'm just gonna run the stock one. been watching the forums for a used skid that will work but haven't seen one, and i'm bleeding cash.

So I *finally* got my old skid and nutstrips out today - the mechanic's snap-on impact at my buddy's shop couldn't bust loose two of the bolts so I attacked it today at the house (on the ground... whaddayagonnado) one of them I had to cut off with the angle grinder, the other came out by using the redneck rowing machine (cheater pipe on my 1/2" ratchet)

Looks like the stock skid will work if I just drill two more holes in it, but I need to get a Unibit because I'm using 1/2" hardware with the JCR nutstrips... OK I can handle that. Now the problem. I have a '99 with a plastic gas tank and the piece of the bumper's support brace that goes behind the center vertical piece of the body actually wedges between the body and the gas tank which makes me real nervous. I'm thinking I ought to either grind it thin so it's not touching, or else just cut that brace off altogether and hope that it's still strong enough without that connection. What say you guys? I did drop Terry an email, I'm assuming that the earlier tanks must not have this clearance issue because overall this looks like a really well thought out bumper...

and I stripped one of the captive nuts in my rear panel because I have fists of ham and was relying on a "Husky" brand clicker torque wrench. I should know better than to use stuff like that... time to buy a real torque wrench, at least I have a bendy beam to get me by.

I wouldn't worry about that piece between the rear X member and the tank. Mine barely fits, but its just a 3x4" or so piece of steel. It's not like it has protruding bolts or anything

My concern is that it is actually touching the gas tank when in place. I'm going to grind it thin I think tomorrow and also make sure that the bolts don't actually go through. And hope that I don't get rear-ended to the point where it actually moves, but really, if I get hit hard enough to move this massive chunk of steel even 1/8", I've probably got more worries than a little leaking gasoline. I just wish I had a welder and a chop saw because I'd redo everything to get rid of that tie in point but still have multiple tie ins between the square tube of the sub-assembly and the bumper itself.

OK well I got the stock skid repainted and reinstalled w/ new nut strips. Good enough for my purposes, this is more a tow/haul/bad weather rig than anything else so hopefully I won't be dropping it on any rocks.

Off on a tangent now the bumper doesn't fit with my gas tank... oh how I wish I had a garage and a welder... really not sure how to fix this now. My buddy has a muffler shop with a MIG but he's apparently out of argon and I don't know when he's going to get more...

I am just *this* close to going and buying a plain old trailer hitch and slapping the stock bumper back on much as I hate to do it. Sucks not having facilities :(

Edit: Curt 5000 lb. Class 3 hitch was <$140 shipped on eBay. Ordered. I really wanted my rig to be cool but at this point I've done all the hard cleanup work, ought to be putting things back together now - and really need this thing to be pulling a trailer not sitting in the driveway - and my buddy is being a jerk and not returning my phone calls even though I was really going to pay for a tank of argon just to get this done.

Anyone want a kick-a$$ rear bumper?

Last edited:
Back