• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge Cluster Swap: Mechanical to electric speedometer

89Mock

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone done this and documented it well? I want to swap transfer cases and the new one has an electronic speed sensor on the transfer case. I’m currently running a cable. I’m also hoping a new gauge cluster would fix the garbage reading my Renix cluster tells me for voltage since it doesn’t even read 12 when I’m putting out 14 volts.

Regarding the voltage, maybe the cluster ground needs cleaning or upgrading (see Cruiser54's tips for cluster ground upgrade).

You can simply bolt the speedo cable drive unit and its long-shaft speedo gear in place of where the sensor and short-shaft speedo gear come out on the later models. Same exact opening. Make sure you clock it correctly for the tooth count of your particular speedo gear.

You CAN swap to a 91-96 cluster, but bear in mind the tach electrical interface is different from RENIX (90-) to OBD1 HO, as are the coolant temp and oil pressure sensor resistance ranges, and also the fuel level sender. You would need to also change to a 91-96 oil and temp sender, a 91-95 fuel sending unit, and devise a circuit to adapt both frequency and voltage from the RENIX ICM output, which has a pulse/rev count dependent on whether the jeep has a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, to the HO instrument cluster input, which is the same number of pulses per revolution no matter how many cylinders the jeep has.

It's almost certainly not worth it.

Back