• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer Bounce

Jason77

NAXJA Forum User
1991 Laredo. Far from stock but from what I know the cluster, 242 transfer case, and points in between are original. It’s entirely possible however that they aren’t. Pretty sure it had cruise control once upon a time.

Speedometer started occasional bouncing. It never goes above the actual speed and acts like it is loosing connection. It will drop to 0 briefly and when that happens the odometer stops counting. Nothing else impacted.

My impulse is just to replace the cable from the transfer case to the cluster. I figured if I was going in to possible try to clean connections I might just as well swap in new parts.

Here’s where it’s getting tricky. I’ve verified that it is a 2 wire electrical connection to the sensor on the transfer case, however, so far all I’ve been able to find are cables, not the electrical version.

Any suggestions for locating parts, or trouble shooting, or anything else I’m missing greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add, my thought is potentially replace the cable and speed sensor on the transfer case if needed. I’d like to at least locate a source for the parts before I start pulling on 30 year old wires and potentially make things worse. That’s why I haven’t started poping things out yet to inspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back