• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Skid

Which Gas tank Skid?

• Total voters
My vote is for what Okie did, very inventive :) .

I can tell you the new Tomkens are pieced together with spot welds. They used to make them much nicer.

Kent

I like my Rustys skid. Very beefy and great fit. I do not have a hitch so getting it to work was no prob.

I have the stock Jeep one on my XJ because it was 6 bucks brand new when they sold all that stock on xj stuff years ago.
At first I thought great this will make a good template to build my own. I got two at the time so I put it on mine and it's pretty beefy for as thin gage of materil it is. I've hit it twice so far and no problems.

here are a few pics of the install. I did a tow hitch at the same time.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288965257

and yes I painted it silver. It was a long night of drinking and I had to prove to someone I could paint in my condition at the time.

Last edited:
I went with the stock skid (voted other), play in rocks and dont have any big concerns. However..... I am aware that it is only 1/8 thick (92 XJ) and it can be smashed up into the tank if I drop hard on to a pointed rock so I drive with as much finesse as I can (always a good idea) and drop slowly onto the gas tank skid. I have had the weight of vehicle on the skid several times and slid off onto the hitch and then down to the ground. Scratches but no dents.

I spent $15 on the gas tank skid and put the rest into armor for the diffs, a beefier tie rod, eng/trans skid spare axle and drive shafts. I bash the diffs and tie rod all the time, slid on the tranny skid several times and use the rock rails like a second set of tires. Never have hammered the gas tank skid.

John

I voted for Tomken because thats what I have... but I would not say its the strongest skid out there. Mine has a few dents and has been scraped its share of times as well, so in that respect it has done its job.

Next time I'd probably try the SkidRow or DPG.

Mine is a Tomken, and the idiot that owned the Jeep before me said he shot the skid with a .22 (while it was on the Jeep). It didn’t penetrate, but for all I know the big dent in the skid is from a rock.

Back