• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas mileage improvements?

Rocketeer14

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 is pretty much stock except for add one like a trans cooler. I drive to school and back every day and go through an 1/8 of a tank, which isn't terrible but when you factor in work and other stuff it's about 40 bucks a week. Is there anything cheap I can do to improve the mpg's?

Fluid change, tune up (plugs, wires, cap rotor), check air filter, check tire pressure.
How far are you driving? What is your actual mileage per tank?
Depending on how much you are driving, the cost is not that bad.

Agreed on a tune up . But cheapest and easiest thing to do is just check your tire pressure. You can run a lighter weight oil of you choose too and that will help reduce friction internally. Also, use the gas pedal wisley. Take off smoothley and coast to a stop light. Oh by the way, congrats on your first post, and welcome to the family.

Run some engine cleaner through, like sea foam.

Like they ^ mentioned, plugs, cap, rotor, wires.

And these.
http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/product.sc?productId=11&categoryId=3

People have claimed 1-2 mpg with 4 hole injectors. You should also try a cold air intake, and an free flowing exhaust.

I've noticed the best gains from my snorkel (true cold air), my iron rock cat back exhaust, and keeping the plugs and fuel system clean. Im buying those injectors soon.

And I'd like to think I know what Im talking about, my xj on 4.56 gears, and 32's gets about 19 freeway if I keep my foot out of it.

Glue thumb tacks to the pedal and drive without a shoe on... plus tune-up and proper tire pressure and other things already mentioned. It's probably not a big issue for you but hauling around extra weight (bumpers, junk in the trunk, etc.) can make a big difference too.

My 98 is pretty much stock except for add one like a trans cooler. I drive to school and back every day and go through an 1/8 of a tank, which isn't terrible but when you factor in work and other stuff it's about 40 bucks a week. Is there anything cheap I can do to improve the mpg's?

The others have given you good advice but the most important is to remove the brick from your right shoe.

^^^^ That goes for driving any vehicle. When I first got my 99, I was averaging 11-12 mpg around town. Nowadays, I'm closer to 16 mpg around town just from a tune-up and some finesse with the gas pedal.

Since installing my overhead console and being able to watch the mpg better I can say driving habbits are the #1 killer of gas miliage. After paying better attention I gained 2mpg.

With that being said I have also been thinking about a home made cold air intake and more so the injector upgrade. My injectors are the originals with just under 100K on so I really want to think I would notice a gain there.

the best way is to buy a geo metro or some other light car with 4 or less cylinders.you could also get a scooter i know in pa if it's under 50cc you don't need a motorcycle endorsement.

I actually think its a myth that jeeps HAVE to get get bad mileage. Maintenance, and a light foot make a huge difference.

I can get from my home in Humboldt country, to the bay area, on less than a tank, which is freaking awesome. Also, my mileage barely goes down when Im FULL of crap in the cargo area, because it's geared well.

I once had 5 people in my jeep, at least 200 pounds of gear, and about 100 pounds of stuff on my roof, and I averaged 17mpg going down to the bay. Not bad. (And I don't pay attention to my speedometer, I know the distance, it's about 300 miles.)

I actually think its a myth that jeeps HAVE to get get bad mileage. Maintenance, and a light foot make a huge difference.

I can get from my home in Humboldt country, to the bay area, on less than a tank, which is freaking awesome. Also, my mileage barely goes down when Im FULL of crap in the cargo area, because it's geared well.

I once had 5 people in my jeep, at least 200 pounds of gear, and about 100 pounds of stuff on my roof, and I averaged 17mpg going down to the bay. Not bad. (And I don't pay attention to my speedometer, I know the distance, it's about 300 miles.)

Went to Humboldt State University in 1973. Great place. They still growing pot up there while the locals look the other way? If so, be careful which rural areas you go 4 wheelin' in.

So, here is something to chew on. I just replaced the pads in the fron and discovered that the calipers were no exactly floating any longer. New hardware and a good coating of antisieze and the calipers were once again floating.

So what?

So a caliper that does not float drags on the disk. Mileage went up nearly 2mpg in town...

I'm getting 18 with 31's, stock gears and a teenage driver :wave:.
SO far all I have for mods is a cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, ford 5.0 litre injectors, recent tune up(new plugs etc). I also carry around about 100 lbs of misc stuff

I'm getting 18 with 31's, stock gears and a teenage driver :wave:.
SO far all I have for mods is a cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, ford 5.0 litre injectors, recent tune up(new plugs etc). I also carry around about 100 lbs of misc stuff

How are you figuring your mileage? The OHC?

Back