• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel tank size?

Digger87xj

NAXJA Forum User
What size tank should my '93 have, if no one has changed it?

I'm seeing that it 'should' have a 20 gallon? I'm looking up a new pump and sender and the only option is for a 20 gallon....

I think the PO put a sender in for a 15 gallon because it runs out of fuel too early... 14 to 15 gallons to refill, after running out of fuel. I know the level sender is bad, as it shows 1/2 tank then suddenly 1/4 tank and the light comes on.

Also, when it's showing 1/2 to 1/4 and I take a long sweeping right turn, it will loose fuel pressure.

Insights, web links or first hand knowledge appreciated. :eyes:

im fairly sure that my 93 had an 18 gal tank but it was so long ago i could be mistaken...

With the big dent, I am only about 14 gallons. :doh:

im finding 20 gal too

i would recommend getting an all new sending unit.
definitely sounds like the one you have is too short!
EDIT_____or the hose going from the unit to the bottom of the tank is too short.
then again.... my tank is much bigger so you may not have a hose gong to the bottom of the tank.......

The factory tanks on my 84, 89, and 91XJs are 20.2 gallons +10% for expansion. The factory standard size on the 84 was 13.5 gal. The only listing in the factory manual for my 91 is 20.2.

Thanks for the replies.
Ends up it had the correct hanger/sending unit but the fuel pump and strainer had been replaced. No suprise as it has 250K on it.
The sock was sitting about an inch further away from the bottom of the tank than it should have been, and was installed the wrong direction on the pump. Whomever installed the pump used zipties to attach it to the hanger. I'm also sure the rubber isolator at he bottom of the hangar wasn't sitting in the pocket in the tank, raising the sock off the bottom even more.
Gads.
Flipping hacks.

Nice to see the gauge in the 1/8th tank range and have it still running :)

Back