• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front suspension geometry...lets get in depth...

Thanks for the vote of confidence... :) Too bad about the Jackman guys-there was an excellent product and they were victil to0dxactly what I was referring to-someone that thought they knew more than the engineer that originally designed the wheels. A lot of people got hurt (both literally and figuratively speaking) on that mess.....

Bit of trivia on the Dodges-during the first 6 years, over 90 percent that bought or leased a 94 or up pickup returned to get another one after their lease was up, or 3 to 5 years of ownership.

The "braking pBlblem" was not bh much that the vehicle would not stop- but rather the brakes felt "mushy". This was caused by the type of ABS and RWAL used, in my opinion-I am not speaking as a rep of DCX (I cannot!) but as one that worked on a friend's vehicle to repair the problem. I fixed his by replacing the RWAL entirely and converting to 4WD's 13" front and 12" in the rear, with a GM Hydroboost master cylinder and p/s fluid booster with fluid cooler.

Since I left the corp before the introduction of the truck, I cannot verify that there were any issues with the balljoint used at the frame end of the panhard rod. On the one I worked on, I noticed no unusual wear, BUT it never saw the extreme, high speed, desert duty that my XJ did. I have heard reports of these failures and exces2ave wear before, but to determine a cause, I'd have to measure one to see what changes, if any, were made to the original design by the production group.

Best regards,

Bob

Rd: Fbmnt suspension geometry...lets get in depth...

Bob Sheaves said:
The "braking problem" was not so much that the vehicle would not stop- but rather the brakes felt "mushy". This was caused by the type of ABS and RWAL used, in my opinion-I am not speaking as a rep of DCX (I cannot!) but as one that worked on a friend's vehicle to repair the problem. I fixed his by replacing the RWAL entirely and converting to 4WD's 13" front and 12" in the rear, with a GM Hydroboost master cylinder and p/s fluid booster with fluid cooler.

Best regards,

Bob

Hydroboost master was the only thing I could find that did fix the problem for others. I just replaced mine by buying truck with one on it. :D Seems like I'm in that top (bottom :D )5% thing like normal!

Man good hijacking here!

hinkley

Two quick things,(I dont want to interupt your discussion but).One,to answer part of Willis's question about why long arms work,EASY-Its a 40 year old tried and proven design.Sure there is a little tweaking to each vehicle(as Beezil has already pointed out) but its been around the block a few times.Second,as a side note,there is a very nice rod end conversion out for the Dodge!

Beezil- Do you have any photos or sketches of the profile for your front suspension? I've looked for some pics, but they all seem to be from the front, rear, or action shots. And, do you know what A/D and roll axis you have with the 3 link? Ballpark value are close enough for me. I just want to see if I'm getting close with my 4 link design.

Bob- Did you say the stock XJ/MJ's have 18% A/D? It seems lifting the vehicles (with aftermarket or custom designs) puts the A/D percentages WAY higher than that. I thought the anti-dive would be a bit higher stock-- but I guess I haven't looked at a stock XJ suspension for a while.

-Jon

WARNING!I have never made an attempt to incorporate the theoretical "PERFECT " link suspension set-up on a cherokee platform. If the following information offends you, please disregard the content and move on.

Beezil, you're right. I am not attempting to incorporate the perfect link suspension on my Jeep. In fact, I still run leafs in the rear. Most of the parts I have built have, in fact, been bolted on.

I built my front bumper, and then bolted it on.
I built my rear bumper, and then bolted it on.
I built my tire carrier, and then bolted it on.
I built my roof top rack, and then bolted it on.
I built my air tube, and then bolted it on.
I built my "A" hoop, and then bolted it on.
I built my "B" hoop, and then bolted it on.
I built my skid plate, and then bolted it on.
I built my rock rails, and then bolted them on.
I built my traction bar, and then bolted it on.
I built other junk, and probably bolted it on too.
I built lots more junk and bolted it on to other vehicles.

As you can see, most every thing is bolted on. It would fall off otherwise. I'm sure your list is longer, bigger and more impressive so I don't need to see it

Thankyou for thinking that I have an excellent grasp on theoretical suspension geometry, but I have no plans, facilities, money or desire to incorporate the theoretical perfect link suspension on my XJ. I can appreciate and admire yours instead.

There; the truth is out.

Bob, nice to hear from someone with some inside info on the XJ and Dodge link designs. Someday, I'd like to chat and pick your brain a little.

If I were you, I would have claimed to have worked on "an unspecified vehicle for a domestic manufacturer" There's always going to be a disatisfied customer in the crowd. I remember doing a search on "Death Wobble" a few months ago and was surprised at the large number of hits returned on Dodge trucks. I wondered if the steeper control arm angles had anything to do with it.

Do you happen to remember the anti-squat percentage on the XJ and Dodge at factory specs?

MaXJohnson said:
Bob, nice to hear from someone with some inside info on the XJ and Dodge link designs. Someday, I'd like to chat and pick your brain a little.

If I were you, I would have claimed to have worked on "an unspecified vehicle for a domestic manufacturer" There's always going to be a disatisfied customer in the crowd. I remember doing a search on "Death Wobble" a few months ago and was surprised at the large number of hits returned on Dodge trucks. I wondered if the steeper control arm angles had anything to do with it.

Do you happen to remember the anti-squat percentage on the XJ and Dodge at factory specs?

Thanks for the kind words Max.

I am used to (and have made my living) by accepting personal responsibility for my work-I just can't dodge a direct question, unless it involves info from a confidentiality agreement... :) .

If you would like to chat-please feel free to email me at my yahoo address... [email protected] ....at your convenience. Unfortunately, I do not rememebr the anti squat numbers off the top of my head-I'd have to do some digging in some old notes I have somewhere....

The "Death wobble" you mentioned has been researched a lot, I'll admit. Many vehicles are suseptable, to varying degrees, especially when the panhard rod (when equipped) is at too steep an angle relative to the axle centerline (or commonly called "horizontal"). I worked on an old style C/K 1/2 ton that had terminal shake from a set of 38" tall Mudders on it with a Rancho 6" lift. The driver ended up climbing the steps of a bank and entered the lobby. Unfortunately, he was still in the truck doing 35mph at the time. Fortunately there were no casualties, except for the driver's drawers.....

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited:
WARNING!I have never made an attempt to incorporate the theoretical "PERFECT " link suspension set-up on a cherokee platform. If the following information offends you, please disregard the content and move on

Oh my Gawd!!!

with lines like that, me thinks you and rich should go on a comedy cruise vacation together!

"WARNING ! The contents of this post may include references to competition related products, if you feel this is inappropriate or offensive please disregard."

you jackass!

:laugh3:

Bob Sheaves said:
I am used to (and have made my living) by accepting personal responsibility for my work-I just can't dodge a direct question, unless it involves info from a confidentiality agreement... :) .

If you would like to chat-please feel free to email me at my yahoo address... [email protected] ....at your convenience. Unfortunately, I do not rememebr the anti squat numbers off the top of my head-I'd have to do some digging in some old notes I have somewhere....

The "Death wobble" you mentioned has been researched a lot, I'll admit. Many vehicles are suseptable, to varying degrees, especially when the panhard rod (when equipped) is at too steep an angle relative to the axle centerline (or commonly called "horizontal"). I worked on an old style C/K 1/2 ton that had terminal shake from a set of 38" tall Mudders on it with a Rancho 6" lift. The driver ended up climbing the steps of a bank and entered the lobby. Unfortunately, he was still in the truck doing 35mph at the time. Fortunately there were no casualties, except for the driver's drawers.....

Best regards,

Bob

You where doing great up to this post! Ive had DW on 3 "stock" DC products,all with less than 5K miles on them.Your credibility just "took a major Sh!t"!

Beezil said:
Oh my Gawd!!!

with lines like that, me thinks you and rich should go on a comedy cruise vacation together!

"WARNING ! The contents of this post may include references to competition related products, if you feel this is inappropriate or offensive please disregard."

you jackass!

:laugh3:

They ought to look similar. Rich stole that out of one of my posts. :doh:

DC has known about "death wobble" since the day they bought Jeep.Did they ever re-design anything to cure it, "No".What they did do is build a larger version and stuck it under the Dodge so now we have another vehicle thats dangerous to drive!I feel 10k times better with my modified rig than I ever did in a stocker w/ DW!

RCP Phx said:
DC has known about "death wobble" since the day they bought Jeep.Did they ever re-design anything to cure it, "No".What they did do is build a larger version and stuck it under the Dodge so now we have another vehicle thats dangerous to drive!I feel 10k times better with my modified rig than I ever did in a stocker w/ DW!

I don't understand the heat. Here we have a guy with real inside info on some important topics, plus a thorough understanding of complicated suspension issues, and you're picking on him over some DW issues? :rolleyes:

Do you think DW only happens on Jeeps? Or on Chrysler vehicles? DW is something that can show up on almost anything with a straight axle, depending on the circumstances. The discussions on the subject, and the opinions, are nearly endless.

This has been a really weird thread. I put off reading it for a few days because I figured there would be too much info to digest, and plenty of opinions. I finally have time to read it, and while there has been some good info and discussions, I'm amazed at how much offense has been taken and how many shots have been fired. Weird.......

MaXJohnson said:
No, what I'm saying is that the usual diagrams that you see on here, PBB, etc is correct for calculating anti-squat for a 2WD vehicle, but not for 4WD. This is not a difference is how you determine the placement of your instance centers, but rather how you compare IC reaction with the CG.

Look at it this way. You can draw a diagram of your rear suspension links in the side view to determine where your IC is. Compare the IC location with the anti-squat neutral line (rear contact patch to CG height above front axle) to determine AS%. Now do the same for the front suspension links to determine front anti-lift. Here's the problem. The values you get assumes that each axle get 100% of the engine torque available.

This is wrong. In a part-time transfercase (no center differential) each axle only recieves 50% of the torque. This means thatpyour calculated AS% and AL% are double their actual value. Some fulltime transfercases split torque on an uneven basis, front to rear, say 60%-40%. This would have to be f`ctobmd in as well.

If, for example, you calculated 80% anti-squat for the rear axle and 60% `nti hift for the front; the total anti-pitch force available through a 50-50 transfercase would be 1/2 the sum of these two values. My previous post indicated that the total anti-pitch force available would be the average of the front and rear percentages

(80%+60%)/2 = 70%.

This application of calculating the TOTAL 4WD anti-squat/lift values is derrived from an example in one of Forbe's Aird's books for determining total anti-dive/lift under braking. The method of determining the individual values is correct, but I am having trouble with his interpretation of the total force acting on the chassis being an average of the two individual values.

What all this means is that if you have a significant difference in the link design between the front and rear suspensions (most do) then the common method being tosses about will produce a significant error.

Max (Willis),

The 70% answer (something less than 100%) is not to be discounted because the forces at the two IC's that define AL and AS superimpose and appear to cancel out the vertical force component on the GC. I imagine you are uncomfortable with the missing resistance to the total mass acting through the CG and gravity? (I am)

Drawing the FBD for the two suspensions allows us to identify the CG contribution acting on each system, and when the respective portion of the mass applied to each IC is calculated the total mass acting on both axles does work out (rather than 70% it totals 100%). The forward IC (the rear axle) is resisting (working against) it's portion of the weight, and the rearward IC (the front axle) is complementing (working in the same direction as) the weight (and interestingly enough, against anti-squat).

If we look at the vertical forces, the rear axle system torque force pushes up against 80% of the vehicle weight, and the front axle system torque force is pulling the vehicle weight down 10% (80-10=70%), but the actual vehicle weight applied at each IC is not an 80/20 or 80/-10 split (it's not a function of the available torque, we have 100% of the vehicle weight). The actual weight applied at each IC is the percentage of total vehicle weight defined by the distance away from the CG, and the portion of weight resistance applied to each suspension system is the limit on how much each contributes to the chassis pitch. The imbalance between the available torque and the appied resistance (weight on the IC lever arm) provides the motivation for the dynamic movement between the suspension and the chassis. 80% front IC lift, acting on 60% of the mass about the CG, will get the front lifting more than the rear when it has -10% lift (anti-lift) on the 40% of the mass that is acting on the IC that is rear of the CG. Move the IC closer or farther away from the CG and the imbalance between the two suspension systems contribution to the chassis pitch can be equalized or made more diverse.

In your example the front of the vehicle would pitch up faster than the rear (somewhat like what is observed on radius arm XJ's). The difference in feel the driver experiences (chassis rotation about a location near the drivers seat or the rear bumper) has a lot to do with the confidance to be had when challenging a climb like the dump bump. If the front pitch is significantly faster than the rear, moving the instant chassis rotation center back, the movement of the CG is accelerated and the throttle induced pitch control becomes sensitive (and much more sensitive when the seat is also being lifted more with each throttle touch). What the radius arms guys feel is the accelerated front chassis pitch moving the CG back in addition to placing the AS% in an unstable position (well past 100% and growing with more throttle application). Fix a limit strap and you place a limit on the throttle induced pitch acceleration (the contribution of the front suspension IC about the CG is removed from the two force moment that pitches the chassis).

The short arm guys have the same AS% for the approach angle, but the front of the chassis is not pitching as fast. It feels more stable because the front suspension is contributing to chassis rotation on the rear of the chassis, moving the instant center of the chassis rotation forward. The front axle torque reaction on the short arm chassis (anti-lift) resists the growth of rear AS% (it slows the rapid acceleration of the AS%). The total chassis lifts, not just the front end of the chassis. The tires on both axles lose traction rather than accelerate the tip-over feeling (or the XJ climbs).

The two IC's are acting on the chassis as a two force moment about the CG. The instant chassis pitch moment (in a perfect traction world) is a factor of the IC distance away from the CG and imbalance with the torque split between the axles. The AS & AL of each system provides a factor to compare the percentage of force working on the springs and links, but all the vehicle weight and resistance is still applied through the IC of each suspension system.

The IC location defines the leverage of the suspension system acting on the chassis in a horizontal plain (how leverage about the axle is used to lift the chassis weight). Raising or lowering the IC on a vertical line without changing it's horizontal distance away from the CG changes the AS%/AL%, or the efficiency of the system to convert the applied vertical force to horizontal motion (how much is stored in the suspension springs compared to directly transferred to the links for the rest angle of the vehicle), but is will not change the share of force rotating the chassis (other than that being applied at the spring tower mount rather than the IC, something that complicates analysis).

This independence between the IC and AS% is one reason why one vehicle will climb without jacking and wheelhop, and another will become very unstable, even when both have the same relative IC leverage. We have PBB folks calculating AS% recommendations without regard to the IC length or height, and IC location (forward or rear of the front axle) without reference to the IC height (the factor changing the AS%). There is no reliable rule of thumb for IC distance from the axle and CG, or AS%, and to quote one parameter without the other is ignoring the independence of the two. Quoting answers for the front and rear, is just as much of a swag (but I know you understand this well).

Bob,

I am pleased to have the input of someone who has reverse engineered the dynamics of the XJ (I assume) to advise DC on what was required to build a better evolution of the four link (the RAM truck). I can see the improvement in axle steer, pinion angle gain, and bumpsteer, but all improve with longer arms and the wider track that a full size chassis allows. We are confined by the XJ track and wheelbase.

"There is a distinct difference between the two in perfromance of the suspension. As it relates to the anti-dive discussion, the XJ has 18% and the Dodge has 36%. The Dodge has far less non-symetrical axle steer due to linkage compound ratios when co,mpared to the XJ/MJ."

The later design has more equal length arms reducing the non-symmetrical action, and longer arms working a longer wheelbase that allows acceptable suspension compliance with the steeper anti-dive. The vehicles are different in wheelbase, CG & weight distribution, and we have to accept the suspension performance will be different. What I want to know is what (in your opinion) improved the performance of the later design the most, and if it can be applied to a modified XJ system?

Were more equal length controls arms a significant benefit (reducing the non-symmetrical axle steer)?
Was raising the front system IC or shortening the IC distance from the CG (the two factors that can raise the AD%) a benefit (and what, IYO, was the more beneficial change)?
Anything else (I am always willing to share opinion and learn something new)?

I have photos of many of the late 80's and early 90's XJ/MJ that were in SCORE competition (and still know a few of the people who wrenched and rode in them as well) as I was involved in Class 11 and 1/2-1600 at the time and used my XJ for chase and prerunning (with me always looking and asking for applicable improvements). I find the comparison of what worked for the long arm systems for off-road racing, systems that did not worry as much about ground clearance, to be helpful but not the answer for a dual purpose rockcrawler and street runner. Was there any system improvement (or design) that you saw as a benefit that did not rob ground clearance or require the chassis and fender tubs to be highly modified (a design change that can be easily applied to the XJ chassis)?

Willis,

Take Max's advice to heart, as the stability and pinion angle gain improvements will provide a good initial platform if the design is to be cut and rehashed on the XJ or on paper (welded or web-welded). There is a point where the XJ frame and axle (and all the stuff in the way) will limit the design (lets call it the BezzWall), and it will likely dictate the final design compromise.

If you read (and agree with) the above description of the front suspension and the impact of the front IC on the chassis pitch rotation, then it makes sense to locate the front system IC well behind the transfercase crossmember and CG. You would certainly not want it find it ahead of the CG on an incline (IMO) as it would make the chassis pitch very throttle sensitive. I have not played with a modified XJ on rocks as much as others on this board, and do not have feedback other than that expressed in the long and short arm debates, so I am as eager to listen to advice on what works as much as you.

FWIW, I see no reason to delete the panhard rod and draglink steering as long as it is designed to be relatively level at rest. The fixed three link (the wishbone, rather than the assymetrical upper link Goatman runs) deletes the need for the panhard bar, but invites complicated steering (hydro, electric fixed rack, or some other axle mounted steering actuation). I am not that comfortable with full hydro steering on the street, at speed, and I have not seen a good axle mounted electric rack & pinion system.

I have a family birthday, a funeral, and a wedding anniversary to tie up my week so I leave you folks to hash all this out.

Goatman said:
I'm amazed at how much offense has been taken and how many shots have been fired. Weird.......

Ya, maybe we are like women. We've all been together too long and now we are on on our man-stration cycle. :confused:

I do agree, we need not jump on anyone's back about DW. It's not DC's doing. Like Goatman said. It can happen on any solid axle rig. I'll add, it can happen on IFS rigs too. I worked on a 92 1500 Chev with 38s and DW at 30mph. It is strange how big tires change DW. I had it twice with 3" and 30s, very violent and uncontrollable. The Chev w/ 38s was still DW, but much slower. The oscillations were much less frequent.

I also saw a 78ish Chevy Blazer cruising down Glendale Ave (Glendale, AZ) doing around 35mph with the front tires bouncing back and forth from what looked like lock to lock. He just kept driving. :rolleyes: Blatant disregard for safety.

Steve

Last edited:
Willis said:
Since this will be used on road, safety will be my #1 concern. I plan on building a suspension with better road characteristics than a 4" lifted XJ with 4 short arms.

Max has provided a great basis for building a suspension. If the 'perfect' suspension can not be adapted to the XJ, it does not mean it is unsafe. I am listening to Max, his knowledge on this subject is much appreciated and his advise is heeded. But from a real world standpoint, which Beezil has been, some of the ideal positioning may have to be changed. Again, with safety in mind. I have yet to dismiss anything as being irrelevant.

Steve

Steve, what do you figure is a perfect suspension? I guess that would have to depend on what you want it to do for you. I always figure that since we're not building rock buggies, our suspensions need to do many things well. Good on the street, good at a reasonable speed on rough roads, decent flex, good climbing ability, and stable in off camber situations. Perfect will be at least some compromise between the various things that you want it to do for you, leaning towards your own personal priorities. I'm curious about what you're after so I can watch as it comes together for you.

I'd love to add something to the discussion, but you guys are beyond what I can intelligently discuss. I'm getting a better handle on anti-dive, anti-squat, etc, but have a long way to go to talk much about it. Mine does work well, and handles well on the street, and has great ground clearance, but it was built using as much common sense as I could muster without a lot of technical information. Now I'm working on the right shocks so I can go faster on the way to and from the trail. :D

When an engineer makes a mistake, people die

I'm a biologist. When biologist's fawk up, beavers die.

CRASH

P.S. Not a bad so far, other than the pecker measuring contest and some high and mighty stuff. Oh well. At least we're not in the Den yet.

Kacz.

here's a quick drawing....

understand that I have not lowered the rear to where it USED to be before I cut the back off, which weighed close to 325 lbs. I gained at least an inch, maybe two. I'm running around 7 to 7 1/2 of lift for my 37's.

my rear links have adjustment on 1" centers. I haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

I'll try to plot the top view tomorrow.

drawing2.JPG

edit:

also, I am having trouble determining where the CG is.....my rig is WAY lighter in the rear, has heavy fullwidth axles, big tires, and no a ton of lift relatively speaking. I'm not sure if I can use the theoretical CG that everyone puts right behind the top bellhousing bolts.

Beezil said:
Kacz.

here's a quick drawing....

understand that I have not lowered the rear to where it USED to be before I cut the back off, which weighed close to 325 lbs. I gained at least an inch, maybe two. I'm running around 7 to 7 1/2 of lift for my 37's.

my rear links have adjustment on 1" centers. I haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

I'll try to plot the top view tomorrow.

drawing2.JPG

Beezil, atleast that picture looks better than your junk does. :D

hinkley

Helping with the straying from the point part.

Back