• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front hitch or towhooks.

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
So what is everyones opinion on this one? Is it better (ie: easier on the "frame", easier to pull, ect) to have one central front towpoint, the front mounted hitch with a DRING attachment:
Or is it better to have the dual tow-points, ala the factory towhooks and brackets?

A front hitch, will cause loss ground clearence in the front. Personally, I don't perfer hooks. Id go with an aftermarket bumper, with D-ring tabs, and a tie in to the frame. I have a JCR front bumper and have smashed it against trees and rocks, and has held up flawlessly so far. Good pricing too. They are a vendor on here as well. HTH.

The hitch distributes the recovery load between both "frame" rails, whereas the hook bracketry (not a sound design IMHO) concentrates it on one side. If you aren't concerned with the bulk of a hitch for approach angle reasons, I recommend that over the hooks.

I use the front hitch on my trail rig because the factory hooks are like $79. Like the above thread says, it stiffens the front frame better. Very little approach angle loss, especially if you cut the air dam off of the flares. In fact, I measured mine...and the anti-sway bar is just about 1/2 higher right behind it. It doesn't go all the way accoss and I always approach a rock with the tire anyway. I might buy a bumper later, but more likely a SYE and Driveshaft where the clearance is more useful. The cost of the hitch was good (JC Whitney). You don't need the D-ring, just use the 5/8 in. hitch pin or... the two welded recovery points on the hitch.

http://www.lp2aenergy.com/PDF/97XJ/P9040018.JPG

I went with the Detours backbone system minus the winch plate. Solid recovery points hidden behind the stock bumper for that "offroad sleeper" look.

I've got both. Of course, I built my bumper that way, including heavy plate brackets (5/16 inch). Take a look at home.windstream.net/rsolomon/jeep .

I have the draw tite hitch. Love it. Don't get the hidden hitch as it hangs way down.

Very strong, I have a giant hook from TSC in the hitch, it is rated at 10,000lb

the DrawTite hicth DOES NOT affect the front approach angle and ground clearance. or at least not to any credible amount. it doesnt hang any lower than the factory air dam.

HiddenHitch is the one you dont want.

I'm getting hooks because I don't have money for a portable winch and I don't want to haul a bumper around every time I drive to work. My opinion, if you have a DD get the hooks and the brackets.

Hey..it looks like the new Hidden Hitch I got from JCW is exactly the same as the DrawTite I have seen in pictures. Probably made in the same factory. I had free shipping from Jcw too.

wall04 said:
I'm getting hooks because I don't have money for a portable winch and I don't want to haul a bumper around every time I drive to work. My opinion, if you have a DD get the hooks and the brackets.
i got hooks, havent used them yet, but now i wish i got the hitch, its alot stronger setup

don't even waste your time on a hitch, as far as i see it you have 3 options
1-detours backbone system
2-get a real bumper with tow points
3-fab a bumper
imo if you remotely think your gonna do any sort of good hard pulling the above will pay cash dividends in the end.

but if you don't like the options..... just do weld on d rings.....they're cheap and thats what i have on my warn classic bumper. that is the way to go, you can snap a hook on, screw on a shackle or tie a line on, with the bolt on hooks, that stuff falls off immediatley and they bend (factory hook mounts) upward.

AlohaBra said:
Hey..it looks like the new Hidden Hitch I got from JCW is exactly the same as the DrawTite I have seen in pictures. Probably made in the same factory. I had free shipping from Jcw too.

can you verify that it is in fact he same hitch????? I dont want to get a Hidde hitch and get screwed with the low clearance one.

On the JCR product, can you secure a ball hitch if desired, or some other 2" receiver hitch with either D-ring or other hook? I am assuming there is room behind it to put in a pin and cotter pin as you would if attached to a rear hitch?

Last edited:
Back