• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end looks off center after lift!!

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
The front of my XJ looks like it sticks out farther on the driver side than it does on the passenger. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? It also looks like my sway bar endlinks are bent like it is stressed to the left.

I got a JKS adjustible track bar (formally ORGS) and it really helped my DW. That's usually not a total cure because it's usually a combination of things. Dirk at DPG Off Road seems to have the best prices on that stuff. The track bar has to be adjustible to center the body over the axle. As the body goes up the axle appears to be pulled to the left as you face it.

Just take the trackbar loose from the axle and get the axle centered up by hand. Use the swaybar enlinks as a guide. I had to use a ratchet tie down to pull the axle over where i wanted it. Now, line up the track bar to the axle and mark where the bolt hole should be to keep the axle centered on the Jeep. Now drill a hole in the axle-end track bar mount and put the bolt back into the new hole. Ta-daa! You have a re-centered axle for 20 minutes of work and zero dollars. Cheap tech rocks!

Jared:patriot:

DeadEyeJ said:
Just take the trackbar loose from the axle and get the axle centered up by hand. Use the swaybar enlinks as a guide. I had to use a ratchet tie down to pull the axle over where i wanted it. Now, line up the track bar to the axle and mark where the bolt hole should be to keep the axle centered on the Jeep. Now drill a hole in the axle-end track bar mount and put the bolt back into the new hole. Ta-daa! You have a re-centered axle for 20 minutes of work and zero dollars. Cheap tech rocks!

Jared and I musta went to the same school of cheap mods. :laugh: I did the same thing. :looney:

DeadEyeJ said:

If the relocation bracket that came with my 4.5" lift doesn't work out, that is the route I'm going!

If you did a lift, you now need to set the toe in. Due to the design of the Y type steering on the XJ, as you lift it, you increase the toe in significantly.

Well first my tires were out of line so I had the front end lined up. I thought that would fix it, but it hasn't. I'm not sure how to adjust anything else in the front that could fix it.

I you need any pointers on the re-drilling method or doing your own alignment to get rid of the DW's, I have a write up about it on my site with pretty pictures as well ;)
Dont do the old shake and where it stops must be the right spot either as some do! Measure the difference from the flare or inner guard back the the tyre both sides using a level and half the difference to get it in the right spot. Just turning the steering wheel will move the body left and right when the trackbar is disconnected so that will help you get the bolt back in.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

No, a track bar relocation bracket is a fix for the axle end that comes with some kits cause it's cheap, but it's not a good idea. It does re-center the axle, but it changes the angle of the track bar relative to the drag link and gives you more bump steer. Throw that away and either re-drill the hole or get an adjustable track bar.

xj92 said:
No, a track bar relocation bracket is a fix for the axle end that comes with some kits cause it's cheap, but it's not a good idea. It does re-center the axle, but it changes the angle of the track bar relative to the drag link and gives you more bump steer. Throw that away and either re-drill the hole or get an adjustable track bar.
If they are that far off after all is said and done a drop pitman arm is needed. I had a 4" lift on my YJ using a relocation bracket, and when I put the dropped pitman arm on all was correct once again. You say some kits have them because they are cheap - well that is only partially correct. The other reason is for simplicity. Not everyone is an expert and the relocation bracket is a simple correction that is engineereed to return the axle to the proper location without any adjustment. The only drawback is if there is any lift added (spacer or whatever), then there is no adjustment. I fell the kits that don't include a pitman arm when going over 3" are the ones who are skimping.

Back