• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle lock up

nosjarede

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a dana 44 assembly for a tj for my o1 cherokee it went right in.. i was driving it and both front wheels locked up as i was road testing it about 20min into the drive. what happend?? its not the breaks or transfercase

i have no idea i have to check that tomarrow.. it would lock up like that if it was dry in the diff??

i was rushing to get it all together cause of the snow. if there wasent any fluid in the diff and thats what locked up what do u think broke in there? and what needs to be replaced

Yeah, there will be lots of smeared metal, if thats what happened. You can probably just pull the plug and poke a little light in there to see. You will smell it. Did the hsg. come complete, new, used??

it came brand new.. 4.10 gears and airlocker with new axle shafts and all.
im such a retard if there isnt fluid in there

If thats what happened, you will nead gears, brgs. for sure. Sometimes the carrier is deformed or the brgs. have spun on it. Sometimes the brgs. spin in the hsg.. If it actually stopped the vehicle, probably all of these.

You'll have to disassemble it all. Some damage will be obvious, some won't till you go to put it back together. Basically look at the brg. seats in the hsg. and where they press on to the carrier. It will need brgs. and the gears at a minimum. That locker, though I haven't yet serviced them myself, would seem particularly susceptible to the heat generated when this happened.

i have 4.10 gears sittin in my garage for my rear dana 44 i havent put in yet. will them gears and install kit work with my front 44?

Back