• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those with 35's on 4.5

ktm racer 419 said:
sure i hit my bumpers at times but it only ends in a scratch.

IMG_2590.jpg

You do have a point here....Those are some MEAN scratches.:D

Some of us aren't going for the same type of cool factor you are going for.

I think that a good lift height for 35's is Between 5 and 6.5 inches. It all depends on what you're doing and what you're going for. I run 5.5 in the back and 6.5" in the front and I love it. Do I run competitions and such?...No. Is it capable beyong the limits of what I am currently comfortable with?...Yes.

This advice is worth just what you paid for it.

passxj said:

I think that a good lift height for 35's is Between 5 and 6.5 inches. It all depends on what you're doing and what you're going for. I run 5.5 in the back and 6.5" in the front and I love it. Do I run competitions and such?...No. Is it capable beyong the limits of what I am currently comfortable with?...Yes.

that rig is hardly built for competing, Btw.

6.5" is beyond unnecessary for 35s IMO. get a high smooth belly skid and keep it lower.

it has nothing to do with cool factor (ok maybe a little :D) and everything to do with improving your jeeps performance...a bunch of lift is only going to help you cross water and maybe help you clear 1 or 2 things you otherwise couldnt take a better line over previously. having 4.5" of lift has never prevented me from doing anything ive tried.

get more lift if you desert race or mud bog, in the rocks IMO keep it lower with other clearancing.

HeavyMetal said:
6.5" is beyond unnecessary for 35s IMO.
HeavyMetal said:
a bunch of lift is only going to help you cross water and maybe help you clear 1 or 2 things you otherwise couldnt take a better line over previously. having 4.5" of lift has never prevented me from doing anything ive tried.

So, I guess you're saying that 6.5" IS necessary?:D

Also...Another 1/2 to 2 inches of lift does not qualify as a "bunch" of lift IMO.

The whole problem is that everyone thinks their setup is perfect for everyone else. There is a reason why they have menus at restaurants. We like choices. Do I like Calamari?...No. Does that make it BAD for someone else to eat it?...No.

Back to the original post...Yes you can run 35's on 4.5" with proper trimming and bumpstopping. The amount of bumpstop you need depends on a lot of other things including trimming, flares, offset, tire width, travel when it's totally crossed up etc. etc. etc. It's a trial and error thing.

passxj said:
So, I guess you're saying that 6.5" IS necessary?:D

Also...Another 1/2 to 2 inches of lift does not qualify as a "bunch" of lift IMO.

The whole problem is that everyone thinks their setup is perfect for everyone else. There is a reason why they have menus at restaurants. We like choices. Do I like Calamari?...No. Does that make it BAD for someone else to eat it?...No.

Back to the original post...Yes you can run 35's on 4.5" with proper trimming and bumpstopping. The amount of bumpstop you need depends on a lot of other things including trimming, flares, offset, tire width, travel when it's totally crossed up etc. etc. etc. It's a trial and error thing.
the IMOs in my post alludes to it being relevent to myself my rig and my kind of wheeling, no worries.

passxj said:

like said my rig wasnt built for comps. it was built for DD and some cheap wheeling on some challenging trails, I just decided to enter it in a comp for shitsngiggles.

and those crushed rockers can be prevented with rockrails. i was just stating that a nice low lift has more benefits than a taller lift for the same size tires.

Well I am officially running 35's on a 4.5 inch lift. Here are pics to prove it. I still have a little bumpstop adjusting to do, but otherwise works well.

35son45.jpg

x2elite said:
Well I am officially running 35's on a 4.5 inch lift. Here are pics to prove it. I still have a little bumpstop adjusting to do, but otherwise works well.

do your tires rub at all on your flares? im on 33's and 4.5 with bw's and when i turn the wheel and flex the tires hit the flares :mad:

With proper bumpstopping....

This XJ has 37" tires with off the shelf 5.5" RE kit.

This XJ has 35s with 3" RE kit worked to 4.5" even before the loss of body
Scrappy.jpg

Trimming and bumpstops are your friend.

alexer03 said:
do your tires rub at all on your flares? im on 33's and 4.5 with bw's and when i turn the wheel and flex the tires hit the flares :mad:

What are the specs on your wheels? Once I get mine bumpstopped properly, I don't think I will have any issues.

I have the DPG 5" lift with trimmed fenders. I had to add some spacers in the front to level it out after the bumper and winch went on. I thought I could run 35's because my 33's never came close to touching. After a year, the 33's rub in the rear a little under extreme flex, and did on the right side in the front until I trimmed my fenders more.

I think I could bumpstop the rear enough now to run 35's, but it would be close.

cloudswimmer said:
Yes when it flexes.What I ended up doing is raising the lift more, 1.5" blocks in rear with a traction bar to control axle wrap from the blocks, and JKS ACOS up front..

Its funny, that so many people associate rubbing with lift height. Bumpstopping controls up travel not lift height. Adding lift doesnt help you when the wheel is fully compressed.

heres a pic of mine on 4.5" and 35's, i still need to put my clayton arms in wich will push the frt axle forward 2", but they clear fine and still give me plenty of room for uptravel
Clawed_016.jpg

here are my 35's on 4" lift, no bumpstops, stock fenders, no trimming & no rubbing.
Awesome!

fa45cccd.jpg

Well, this did turn into a "look what i have "thread:peace:

lift does not make tires fit, backspacing, wheel width, track width, wheelbase and amount of remaining sheetmetal does.

by the time my old XJ on 36s got retired, I think it was sagged to probably about 2.5" or so.

I had the front floor so beat in that I had to trim the side of my brake pedal off to clear the "wheel tub"

every once and a while I could get it to rub (circled in yellow)...

rubbing.jpg

nothin like wheelin on a 4-lane highway :laugh:

Back