• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those who have waited to regear after lifting

Same kind of question. I've got a '98 with a AW4 and a 5.5'' RE lift, I run 33 12.50's with whatever stock gears are in a 8.25 and can barely squeeze 15mpg's out of it. Will 4.56's be the best choice to get better mileage?? Or 4.10's?

AT least 4.56
4.10s' w/an aw4 suck.
I personally like 4.88's

Not to change the subject .....

mmmm.. You're really not "changing the subject" when you dig up a thread that's almost 6 months old.

btw - Welcome to NAXJA. There's a lot of info around here. Check out the FAQ's and search around. You'll find what you're looking for....

E

wait till you can buy a set of used axles already set with gears, it will save you tons of money. run the 32's for a bit so you know how good the new 4.56's or 4.88s really are. i ran 33's on 3.55's for a year, it wasnt that bad up hwy 108 to long barn and pinecrest from sacto here in ca with very little camping gear in my xj going on basic camping trips, the stupid rustys air tube thing kinda helped with the mpg but i pulled it off eventually. i now run 31's on 3.55s and its decent, but going up hwy 49 from sacto with a fully loaded rig and roofrack and three freinds sucked so bad and i felt bad for my jeep running high rpms on such a hot day going uphill so much. i now have a 30/44 combo with 4.88's and some 33's once again waiting for a free weekend in the garage to replace the 30/44 combo with 3.55's. so if you stay light with the gear you might not be that bad with some cheapo performance upgrades in the short run, but do it right in the long run.

i ran 32's with 3.55's and manual trans it was fine if u like to speed it got decent milage at around 70mph i did do alot of highway

here is what i ended up doing...

not enough $$$ for new gears, so i bought 4.10 axles from the junkyard, 100 bucks for both

i am now in the process of installing these with my RE 4.5" lift.

Yes i know 4.10s are still low and yes i know the dana 35 is a POS, but for right now i had no choice, i was sick of my 2" BB and am now on Xmas break from college so i have time to work on the jeep

thanks for all your info and advice guys, someone said that 4.10s with an AW4 sucks, but why? it cant be worse than 3.55s right?

not enough $$$ for new gears, so i bought 4.10 axles from the junkyard, 100 bucks for both

Yes i know 4.10s are still low and yes i know the dana 35 is a POS, but for right now i had no choice, i was sick of my 2" BB and am now on Xmas break from college so i have time to work on the jeep

thanks for all your info and advice guys, someone said that 4.10s with an AW4 sucks, but why? it cant be worse than 3.55s right?

I think you have an excellent solution. It's cheap and according to the chart 4:10 and 32" tires should be the same as 3:55 and 27" tires.

You know you'll have limitations with the D35, but how often are DD off road?

I don't think the 35 is going to explode on you during normal driving.

Originally Posted by offroader461
87 MJ- 4.0 5spd 33's and 4.10 i get 28 MPG
90 XJ- 4.0 Aw4 32's and 3.55 i get 22 MPG

This is amazing. At what speed does the electric motor kick in?

Just be careful. I ran a d35 with 32's, and busted a shaft -and- spider gear making a u-turn under throttle on gravel.

Maybe he ment 18 mpg or 8 mpg but we all know 20+ is a lie with a lifted vehicle. Even if you dont take into account a new gear ratio 20+mpg is still hard to do.

Maybe he ment 18 mpg or 8 mpg but we all know 20+ is a lie with a lifted vehicle. Even if you dont take into account a new gear ratio 20+mpg is still hard to do.

I averaged 22 with 4.56 and 32's, on my '87. After going to 35's with 4.88's I still pulled 18 or so when I was driving it daily - now that I only get in the jeep once a month or so its dropping off, mostly because I'm on the throttle harder than I used to be.

I had a friend in Santa Cruz that was pulling 24 with an MJ on 31's with 3.07's, highway. Its not impossible, you just have to fix your vacume leaks and drive like every drop of gas counts.

There are so many variables on mpg. lift height. tire size, gearing etc. the most important is driving the speed limit and not like your late all the time..more pedal = more gas used no matter how you slice it.i have learned with age to just drive the speed limit. cops out here are hard on speeding. got a warning for doing 5 mph over.. and this 14 inches of snow didn't slow a lot of people down in the past couple days. highway was littered with the results lol!

Just be careful. I ran a d35 with 32's, and busted a shaft -and- spider gear making a u-turn under throttle on gravel.

Cal - Was your D35 locked at the time?

I've been debating the axle swap, locker, gears thing for a few years now and never seem to have the time or the money. In a good year, I wheel maybe 3 or 4 times (couple of weekend trips and a couple of day trips usually) and have another vehicle for DD. And I usually don't wheel anything too extreme.

I'm running 33s and 3.07 gears in my D30/D35. I hate it on the road, dropping into 3rd in the hills of Virgina (not even mountains) and only getting 5th gear going downhill with a tailwind. I was thinking about some upgraded 27 spline shafts and 2 lunch box lockers just for giggles for the few times that I do go wheeling.

Cal - Was your D35 locked at the time?

I've been debating the axle swap, locker, gears thing for a few years now and never seem to have the time or the money. In a good year, I wheel maybe 3 or 4 times (couple of weekend trips and a couple of day trips usually) and have another vehicle for DD. And I usually don't wheel anything too extreme.

I'm running 33s and 3.07 gears in my D30/D35. I hate it on the road, dropping into 3rd in the hills of Virgina (not even mountains) and only getting 5th gear going downhill with a tailwind. I was thinking about some upgraded 27 spline shafts and 2 lunch box lockers just for giggles for the few times that I do go wheeling.

No, my 35 was bone stock, open with 3.55's. I wouldn't waste your time upgrading the shafts, as often as not its the pinion or ring gear that breaks.

Find an 8.25 off of a later XJ - be it 27 or 29 spline, and go with that. Get the driveshaft off of the same XJ or you'll need to get about an inch hacked off of yours. I watched Naxja and managed to pick up a 29 spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears and a locker for $300 a few years ago. Later I replaced it with a 44, and then replaced that 44 with a super44 (35 spline). All deals found here. ;)

I've got 33x12.5's and 35x12.5's with stock 3.73 gears. I have ran my XJ like this for over a year without a single problem. I have lots of power still, the only downside has been fuel economy, but that's to be expected in a wheeler.

i got 4.10s with a d30 carrier new yukons for the d35 200 obo shipped got to go asap with the money i wanna build my roll cage and how much is it to join naxja

I recently went with same setup,4.5 RE and 32x11.50 bfg mt's,and I cant wait to regear,it is a VERY noticable difference out here in Illinois it can be very flat but very windy, the loss of power is very noticable ,I kept the stock tires and rims and after a few months put em back on for a day for giggles, it was like nitrous to have the gearing back, also in strong headwinds with (auto) it holds third gear forever before OD kicks in,for my tranny's sake 410 or 456 is on tap,(the lift bug has hit me)Im sniffin on 33x1250's when these wear out!

Back