• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floorboards getting really really hot

DC_Cherokee_XJ said:
Awesome. thanks for the help xj88superjeep. Will this for sure cool down the hot floorboards.. if not have a good thing to have

Even if it does not keep the floor as cool as you hope for, less heat in the tranny is a great benefit in itself!

There are some write-ups on the web that show people useing the "Air bake" cookie sheets as an heat shield. I looks like it will work real well. Alittle red neck to some but hey it seems to work well from what others say. You could look into that as well.

magimerlin said:
There are some write-ups on the web that show people useing the "Air bake" cookie sheets as an heat shield. I looks like it will work real well. Alittle red neck to some but hey it seems to work well from what others say. You could look into that as well.

That may be "redneck" but that's redneck GENIUS! LOL SERIOUSLY! ingenuity at it's best!

DC_Cherokee_XJ said:
Any suggestions?
Find a ZJ in a junk yard. They have a couple of good sized pieces of re-usable heat shield under them. The material is a fiber insulation sandwiched between sheets of corrugated aluminum. Trim the material to fit and fold any raw edges to keep water out. It is best to attach it with an air gap between the shield and any body sheet metal where you mount it but it will help without one. Late model XJs also have some of the same material under them, just less of it.

Stroketech said:
Mine has the carpet in it and it gets that hot. You can actually feel the heat coming up out of my parking break lever hole.!

Same here. And I have tools stored under the back seat which get BURNING hot after I drive for a little while. Before I replaced the cat. the heat would get very intense and would sometimes burn my leg. I have a few rust spots in the back, but I think that's it. I'm planning on getting a tranny cooler soon. Once I do that and I fix the rust I don't think it'll get hot anymore.

Anyone know how I could fix the rust? It's there because the previous owner was too stupid to realize he had leaks, and when it rained the water would get underneath the carpet and this created rust. I read an article a while back in which they cut out the rust area and welded in a new sheet of metal, but that was on a YJ. Think it would be OK on an XJ with the unibody and all?

Just thinking about this, I'm starting to wonder whether heat shields truly will help that much. True, the catalytic converter and transmission generate lots of heat, but isn't engine heat a big factor too? I mean, of all the air that goes through the radiator and around the engine, probably 99% exits along the floorboards (out the bottom of the engine compartment, and then held near the floorboards by the flow of air on the road). So that means a constant air stream of 100-degree-plus air running along the floorboards, and a heat shield would do nothing to change that.

I have a 5 speed and I dont think that generates enough to burn your skin but I'm starting to wonder if my cat might be clogged a bit. Maybe I should drill a hole through it or knock the honey comb out.

Without insulation it'll get hot. Especially the trans tunnel. The bare floor over the trans hits over 160 degrees in the summer in my 98. I have a manual and a 241OR, but the factory insulation/carpet took care of it no problem.
There are aftermarket insulation products at Summit Racing. Some go inside, others can be attached the the floor on the outside over the trans. Walmart has cheap airbake cookie sheets that would work well over the exhaust.

You may want to look at some Toyota's in and around some Junk Yards.
Foriegn makers really like the use of heat sheilds and deflectors. I know that if you look on some 80's-90's Toy's, you can find them. May get them for free, depending on the yard?

Well took a infered temp gun and measured it after driving a few miles. The passenger side hottest part of the floor board is 150deg F. Driver side about 130deg F.

Back