• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Figured I'd start a build thread.

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
I hope to be doing a decent amount of work to the XJ, so I figure I'll start documenting.

How it started:
2550559946_16ec81eabf_b.jpg

First things were:
Flush fluids
Radiator
Water pump
Thermostat
Hoses
Brakes
Radio

Then I added:
Thule rack
CB
Walmart lights on the redneck lightbar
Rough Country 3.5" lift w AAL
Hood spacers
Various cutting and removal of useless parts
Currently on 33's

DSCN0360.JPG

What I have to put on:
Budget discos
Tow hooks
Sound bar
Wheels
Rock Rails

Current to do list:
Swap in C8.25
Replace main shaft in transfer case
Replace head gasket
Regear
Recover headliner and sound bar
Drill a new hole for the TC skid (or get one from AA)
Finish trimming
Bedliner on the lowers
and much much more I would like to do budget allowing...

looks good Keep us updated!!!

Yes. We like pics!!!!! Nice Jeep.

Painted the wheels today.

The start:
DSCN0368.JPG

Sanded:
DSCN0369.JPG

First coat of primer:
DSCN0370.JPG

Color and Cleared (3 coats each):
DSCN0376.JPG

DSCN0374.JPG

I'm really happy with how they turned out. It's hard to capture on this camera, but the paint looks rich and deep.

I finished trimming, and then with the help of a neighborhood kid (future jeeper, comes running down every time I'm working on the XJ). I masked off the area to start prepping for bedliner.
DSCN0373.JPG

I scraped most the glue off and started on removing the rear bumper but ran out of daylight. I have decided on the cut & fold for the rear quarters, and possibly building a new bumper.

wheels look real good man!

Started on the D44 today.
DSCN0584.JPG

After a quick powerwashing.

DSCN0585.JPG

Method for removing axle shafts without a slide hammer.

DSCN0586.JPG

After hitting it with a wire wheel and a coat of paint.

DSCN0587.JPG

Painted the other reused parts.

DSCN0588.JPG

Everything that was bought.

I dropped the shafts off to have the bearings pressed, started assembling the brakes until dark. Replacing almost everything so it will be like new going in. More to come tomorrow.

Nicely done!

Ahhhhh, the smell of fresh paint...

Glad to see you went with a 44 over the 8.25. You have so many more options. A year from now when you decide to get lockers, you can upgrade to a 35 spline ARB for the 44 and a 30 spline ARB for the 30, and have me hook you up with a front/rear gear install!

Finally got the wheel bearings pressed today. Picked them up from the worthless shop and took them to a guy recommended to me that had it done in a half hour. With the axle shafts back I was able to get to work this evening.

DSCN0650.JPG

Yanked the turdy5 out.

DSCN0646.JPG

Why it was loose.

DSCN0647.JPG

Rubbing from my axle being shifted. Shot this with some Rustoleum.

DSCN0651.JPG

Assembled the D44, wanted to make it noticeable, and found some old John Deere touch-up paint on the back of the shelf. A buddy noticed something when we were joking about the color, which has inspired me to do a bit more painting on the diff color. Just wait and see :)

DSCN0645.JPG

Shot a new color on the wheels. This is the color I wanted in the first place, a dark metallic gun metal. It has a textured finish which will go well with the bedliner.

Whew finally drove the XJ today! Finished the swap and went for a test/glory ride at midnight. I had a late start due to a needed vet visit. Still need to get the air out of the brakes, I'll do that tomorrow when I swap on the new wheels.

DSCN0653.JPG

Added in an XJ main leaf to get another 2 inches in the back.

DSCN0654.JPG

Replaced those awful bend-type spring clips with solid bolt-type. Replaced the center pins as well.

DSCN0652.JPG

What could it be?

DSCN0655.JPG

Meet Raphael.

DSCN0656.JPG

All finished after the glory ride.

DSCN0657.JPG

Have to live with the rake until I swap the front axle and put the coil spacers in.

DSCN0658.JPG

Raphael in his new hideout.

I like that diff cover. Definately original!

The pizza loving Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - very nice! :clap: Michelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Master Splinter - used to watch them all the time... I think I even had the nintendo game.

raph01800.jpg

group05800.jpg

Well I managed to mess something up reassembling the transfercase. It pops out of 4-Lo and I can hear the chain slap around sometimes driving in 2-Hi. I have tried adjusting the linkage several times, can't fix the problem that way. Have to pull it (ugh... again) and redo everything.

So what should I do while I have it out again? Upgrade! Upgrade! Upgrade! I can't afford an Atlas or a 4:1, so Im looking at doing some Junkyard cannibalizing.

Larger chain, sprockets, and possibly syncronizer and shift ring out of a np231D.
6 Pinion Planetary Gears out of a np241.

Todays work: Cut and fold rear quarters.

DSCN0668.JPG

What I got to augment my cutting with (used the angle grinder as well)

DSCN0669.JPG

The original Sawzall. Sweeeet.

DSCN0670.JPG

What I cut off. Actually about an 1" too much for a perfect fit.

DSCN0671.JPG

Notched front and back and started to fold the interior panel.

DSCN0675.JPG

Done. Don't know why i didn't get a picture of the pop rivets.

DSCN0676.JPG

You can sorta see the pop rivets holding the lip I kept to help seal things up.

DSCN0678.JPG

The difference in clearance.

The driver side was much harder. The fuel filler support made it hard to fold cleanly. Overall I am satisfied, I did leave some holes I want to plug up with some scrap and welds. All ready to sand and paint on the bedliner tomorrow.

Ok, If you have ever pulled off trim you know the glue left behind. It's a major PITA to get off.

DSCN0685.JPG

DSCN0682.JPG

Elbow grease it is. This 3M stuff made it a tad bit easier.

DSCN0683.JPG

Took forever but finally got it off.

DSCN0684.JPG

Tried sanding with a medium grit pad on the grinder, but that went right to metal.

DSCN0687.JPG

Did the job with a Jitterbug.

DSCN0686.JPG

All nice and sanded down.

DSCN0688.JPG

Buddy showed up in his TJ to help. It got to late to paint that day, so we cleaned his windows and interior.

DSCN0691.JPG

Found the missing link for my rear fluid. Screw washing the window, I want a squirt gun. 6-7ft range sitting still :)

Back