• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Flare Poll

Better fender flare poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah that must be it. Looks sharp!

I've been trolling this post for some time trying to figure out which flares I'm going to install. After the previous pictures, I'm sold. Sounds like there is enough interest for another batch; hope you'll have some more out soon! Keep up the good work.

the ideal for me would be rears are entirely on the quarter-panel rather than splitting onto the door

i'm thinking i might go with the Rusty's if for only for this reason. but it's not the only reason; i like the idea of the flex flares. the flex material sounds good in theory, but i i'll need to get a set in hand before i can decide.

Last edited:
IMG00438.jpg

IMG00433.jpg

IMG00434.jpg

Some pics at a local river. To weigh in on their flexibility, because of the rear rocker gaurds I have on my xj, my tires were rubbing on the flares. The 2 1/2" screw came out of two holes, and yet the flare flexed back into shape, and to look at it now you would not know it was twisted and flexed. I am a believer! They still look great too, and I will continue to abuse them! Doug, you gotta sell these, they are a great product!

i'm thinking i might go with the Rusty's if for only for this reason. but it's not the only reason; i like the idea of the flex flares. the flex material sounds good in theory, but i i'll need to get a set in hand before i can decide.
At rusty's booth at the easter jeep safari they had a set hanging from hooks and it was crazy how much they flexed! When i have the money those are the ones i'm oing with for sure!

I have scrubbed mine against a few trees and they seem to hold up just fine

Thanks for the positive feed back Red01XJ and 2skulls02! Great picts 2skulls02. BTW, did you use the screws the came with the flares or is that a different screw you're using? I'm working on getting more of these fender flares made just not sure how long it'll take. Trying to upgrade some equipment to get better consistency. Obviously, I'll post up when more fender flares are ready.
Thanks, Doug

Last edited:
I used the screws provided, I do have to say I did manage to rip out one when wheeling, going to put a washer on the backside (slightly smaller than the screw so it will thread)

Doug, I actually had some stainless screws that I had used to mount my factory flares up higher. I used a washer/ grommet behind them for looks. I did not use your screws, but would have if I didn't already have shiney ones. If it wouldn't cost so much to send them to you I would. How is production coming?

From the reports it's good to hear that the flares are holding up to expected "abuse". For those asking, production is very slow right now. I'm trying to upgrade some equipment to improve consistency and regular work has been slow to non-existent which makes cash flow slow also. (Where's a government bailout when you need it!?)
Thanks for the continued interest and eventually more of these flares will be made.
Doug

Well at least your trying to do something (make flares) rather than be lazy. If you come up with a 2dr set i'd be in.

I'm curious as to your recommended lift/tire size combo for these flares. They seem to sit fairly low on the fender.

Do you think they would be a good match for 33s and 4.5 inch lift with stock 4.5 inch backspacing? How much trimming is required? The black XJ appears to have painted the flairs, is this recommended?

If all these things work out, I'll definitely be buying a pair.

How much cash are you looking to acquire in order to get production rolling? If it's not excessive, I might be willing to help you out a little in that area.Feel free to PM if interested.

If that doesn't work, have you considered taking pre orders for these flares?

Both the front & rear are cut out the same as Bushwackers since that's what was on my XJ originally. The rear wheel well couldn't be cut out any more without removing or drastically modifying the wheel tub. The front could be cut out a bit more but then the fender flare would move across the upper body line which I didn't want to do with this design. Here's a link to the "Jeepin.com" install of Bushwackers which these flares are sized similarly.
XJ Cut Out Flares
This will give you an idea of how much sheetmetal gets removed.

Seems like every XJ is different, but on my beat up '98 XJ I had to go to around 5"-6" of lift to clear 33's off-road. If you're staying on pavement you might do okay with only 4.5" of lift but I believe the rear tires would be very close to contacting sheetmetal and of course fender flares.

PM sent on other topics.

I am putting an inch or so on mine (the black xj with gray fenders) with ACOS and H&D Engineering shackle relocation brackets, as my lift has sagged. In the flexed picture the front tires "kissed" the bottom of the flare and rubbed off the paint. Like Doug said, I could move these up but they fit more with the body lines right now. The backs rubbed too, but that was because of my rear quarter gaurds. Last night I trimmed the flares a little more to fit around the quarter gaurds and I doubt they will rub now, as there is the same spacing (about a fist) in front of and behind the back tire. I probably have about 3.5 lift in back and 2.5-3 in front (heavy bumpers pulling down a 4.5 inch lift) and am running BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2, which seem to run a little big (actually started out as a little over 33 by measurement).
The paint adhered extremely well to the flares, even after being rubbed on trees and bushes on a very tight Oklahoma trail. The flares are extremely flexible too and extremely tough.
Just so everyone knows, I am not on Doug's payroll, never met Doug, and am not married to his daughter. I am just extremely pleased with this product and the way they fit, especially compared to the bushwackers. These kind of look like a hibred of bushwackers and xenon flares but were a much better deal when compared to the $450 for either of those. Not sure what Doug will ask for these, but even at $450 they would be a great product at a fair price (in comparison to the others).
Jay

Last edited:
Back