• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Steel Fender Flares

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
There is already a pretty good writeup of the installation process for the Rusty’s Steel Fender Flares here. I’m not going to repeat what’s been said before. But I did just finish installing a set of these flares on my rig and thought I’d post up some observations and suggestions based on my own experience with the hope that someone may find it helpful some day. First though . . . some pictures of the finished project!

IMG_1313_zpsmqctpevn.jpg

IMG_1312_zpsure0wrnx.jpg

You'll notice that I painted the fender black under the Rusty's "R" logo on each fender in order to tone the logo down. I think it looks better than having a contrasting color showing though. I also painted the area around the gas fill door and I think that idea worked well. It doesn't exactly hide the door, but I think it looks better than having door framed with a contrasting rectangle.

The rear flares are fairly heavy. Holding them in position while marking hole locations would be tough, even with someone else helping to hold them. I was working alone at that stage of the project and found it very helpful to hang the flares by straps from my roof rack. I used straps with non-ratcheting cam-type buckles, which allowed me to make very fine adjustments and put the flares exactly where I wanted them before doing any marking or drilling. Here's a picture.

IMG_1305_zpswyke7git.jpg

Below is a diagram copied from Rusty's installation instructions for the rears.

8eb912d7-86cc-44aa-bc4f-e4a2471ffaa9_zps6z86gtl9.jpg

Note that the instructions call for the use of RIV-Nuts at the locations I've marked A, B, C and D. On the passenger side, the area behind the fender is wide open and all of the bolts are easily accessible from inside the cargo compartment, except for locations C and D. So on the passenger side, I used washers and nuts without any issue at all at locations A and B. (Its a good thing I figured that out before drilling RIV-Nut sized holes.)

Access is a tiny bit more difficult on the driver's side. I removed the spare tire support, which takes just a minute to do, and that helped give better access. With the support removed, my girlfriend had no problem at all reaching locations A and B from the inside. So I used washers and nuts on locations A and B on the driver's side too. But, even with her dainty girl hands, the GF could not get a nut started on the bolt at location E. So, on the driver's side, I ended up using one of the RIV-Nuts at location E.

In sum, for the rear fenders, instead of using eight RIV-Nuts as called for in the instructions, I used only five. This left me three flange nuts short. So, if you don't have any stainless 1/4-20 nuts laying around, you may want to pick some extras up before starting this project. But don't pick up any fender washers: you'll have several extras left over from the front fenders.

The RIV-Nuts at location D were problematic on both sides of the rig. The problem is that the sheet metal is bent at an acute angle to form the inner wall of the wheel well. Drilling though the first layer of sheet metal did not give me sufficient access to fully insert the RIV-Nut. After much futzing around, I ended up drilling through the inner wheel well wall, which allowed me to fully insert the RIV-Nut and then tighten it up, but left holes in the wheel well. If I had a welder, I'd use it to patch up those holes. Since I don't have a welder, I'll patch the holes with Bondo . . . some day.

Here is a diagram of the front, from the instructions.

9287b680-e1aa-4301-a8ce-9c2767c7dba5_zps9zrweiqt.jpg

Several of the mounting holes are drilled in locations where there isn't room for the fender washers that are supplied. I just went ahead and used the flange nuts in those locations without washers. I didn't bother to mark those locations on the diagram because its just really obvious once you start installing the nuts and bolts where the washers do and don't fit. The location I marked with the A was a real problem though.

The hole drilled at location A is tight up against the edge of the door opening where the sheet metal is formed into an acute angle leaving a space so tight that the supplied 3/4" bolts could not be fully inserted and, more problematically, there wasn't even room for the nut to slip into position to meet up with the bolt. What I ended up doing was, first, I shortened the bolt by about a 1/4 inch to get it to fit. Then I took a steel rod that I had lying around, inserted it into the space from the wheel well opening, and whacked on it with a BFH until I had deformed the sheet metal by the door opening enough to get a nut to slide into position. It would have been easier with a really long cold chisel or something like that, but I had to make due with what I had on hand. Anyway, it worked, and I am really pleased with how the project came out.

Now I need bigger tires!

i installed them on my xj about a year ago, had them painted to match my jeep color. get lots of comments on them, people really like them. super strong , ive slid off lots of trees on tight trails, any other flare would have been crushed.

Will these work with the ARB Safari Snorkel? I need flares but so far have managed to not get pulled over in the 10 years I have run without them. My fenders are cut too far for some flares to fit but this fixes that issue.

IMG_20160723_072319.jpg

Looks good! I wish i also would have painted under the logo! Funny too cause my dad came and helped me put them on and suggested that, I should have listened....

I need to do some updates on my post, but I can say these are way stronger than I thought they were, which is a pleasant surprise. I've beat the hell out of the rears, no issues. I think they actually saved part of my body from deforming

One of my main motivators in buying these was to hide some pretty bad damage to the front passenger side fender. I was a little worried that the new flare wouldn't mate up well with the caved-in fender, but it did a real nice job of pulling the fender back into its original shape so that it mates nice and flush along the top edge.

Nice write-up, and the finished product looks good. (I even got to see it in person at Leadfoot's BBQ).

Another option for folks to consider when it comes to hardware and attaching armor to the body would be to make your own nut strips. Among other things, this can solve that problem of reaching location "E".

To this end I highly recommend planning ahead and getting proper captive weld nuts. These are a captive nut in a sheet metal "cage". One of the nice features of such an arrangement is that the nut has some wiggle room come alignment time. A little bit of free play is helpful when you have a dozen or so holes to align. Once tightened down they hold still just fine.

Some pics:

XJTaillightsFitment58.jpg

I had to feed the long ones in through the holes for the tail lights:

XJTaillightsFitment60.jpg

Pay attention to things like seat belt hardware. This fits, but not with much extra clearance:

XJTaillightsFitment61.jpg

Nut strips will not work for all the bolt locations, but they will make life easier for a number of locations.

I pop-riveted mine into place so that I do not have to remove the interior panels at all when dealing with the armor.

Just another option for folks who are looking into this project.

Very clever idea! I like it!

I will note though that '97 - '01 XJs do not have the access holes behind the tail lights the way the earlier models do. I found that out when I removed the tail lights as per Rusty's instructions and then wondered what was the point of that. It probably wouldn't prevent the use of nutstrips altogether, but it would preclude installation of strips through the (nonexistent) taillight access holes.

Probably have to make the long one for the top into two separate strips then.

The only thing the rivets do is keep the nut strip from falling down into the inner quarter panel when the mounting bolts are all removed. If it were not for the fact that it would dry out and cease to do its job over the years an adhesive would work for that job.

When the armor is actually installed the nut strips are clamped to the body by the mounting bolts and help spread the load over a wider area. All the real work is done by the mounting bolts. The rivets are just a convenience factor.

Has anyone ran these fenders on the front and flat Napier or flat Buswacker flares on the rear?

I am doing JCR rear quarters (I like that they have the tail light integrated)

Just out of curiosity, why would you switch brands front to rear?

I have the JCR rear quarters on order, it doesn't look like they would fit with the Rusty's flares, I like the Napier flats.

I do however, like the Rusty's front flares (the Hooligan offroad ones too) as they offer some cool looking protection for the front fender.

Nice write-up, and the finished product looks good. (I even got to see it in person at Leadfoot's BBQ).

Another option for folks to consider when it comes to hardware and attaching armor to the body would be to make your own nut strips. Among other things, this can solve that problem of reaching location "E".

To this end I highly recommend planning ahead and getting proper captive weld nuts. These are a captive nut in a sheet metal "cage". One of the nice features of such an arrangement is that the nut has some wiggle room come alignment time. A little bit of free play is helpful when you have a dozen or so holes to align. Once tightened down they hold still just fine.

Some pics:

XJTaillightsFitment58.jpg

I had to feed the long ones in through the holes for the tail lights:

XJTaillightsFitment60.jpg

Pay attention to things like seat belt hardware. This fits, but not with much extra clearance:

XJTaillightsFitment61.jpg

Nut strips will not work for all the bolt locations, but they will make life easier for a number of locations.

I pop-riveted mine into place so that I do not have to remove the interior panels at all when dealing with the armor.

Just another option for folks who are looking into this project.
I am planning to fix rear quarter panel wheel arches. Plan to cut out the rust and put in rust panel piece cut from a brand new full quarter panel. Was pondering putting on the side armor as I wouldn't necessarily need to do more than appropriate rustproofing prior to putting the armor on. I used this nut strip idea on the side armor that came with Dirtbound Offroad's rear bumber. Had to do the Cut-N-Fold. But before sealing it all up attached a Nut Strip for the lower quarter panel armor that comes with the bumper. Works great, EXCEPT, the bolts rust, replace them, retrace the threads, use new bolts, the bolts rust... Aluminum bolts risk breaking off upon removal. Any bolt wisdom you could offer????

Stainless with anti-seize?

The bolts I am running are stainless. As long as you use a good anti-seize you should not have problems with galling.

Dealing with road salt is an issue I have yet to really have to cope with. Other car folks in the salt belt may have better advice.

In MN, I am right smack dab in the thick of it. And I believe they have now switched to some really nasty chemicals that are even worse for metal. I noticed just before the last icy/rainy weather, with transition temps at night freezing, and melting during the day, they laid down a liquid that looked like white paint all over the intersections and bridge decks. I suspect, from experience with my sidewalk efforts, that stuff didn't activate until it got wet. And then once wet, it flies up everywhere from the vehicle traffic. I will try the anti seize with aluminum bolts this time around. thks

Not aluminum--that would be begging for electrolysis problems. Use stainless. Stainless will not react. The risk with stainless is galling of the threads. You can minimize that risk with anti-sieze.

Back